Thread: what is a actual way to carry a cat ?

what is a actual way to carry a cat ?

what is the actual way to carry a cat ?? ... cause i scared i will hurt her legs .. or her body ..
    can somewan .. post the picture and show me how ?? ..
    thankls
    hello ..

yes...actually I would love to know too!!

correct way to hold a cat.

Well...that would depend on what it was doing at the time! lol...not really

To pick up a cat, support its backside with one hand and place the other hand under his chest so you are supporting his whole weight.
    When you have him, cradle him...erm...how to explain....
    sit his bum in the crook of your arm/elbow adn with the other arm, his front paws should be over the arm and the rst of the arm going under him with the hand resting on his back. This way he is comfortable and you are supporting all of the weight so is less likely to struggle as they feel safe.
    Hope its helped. Cant send a pic as not sussed out this camera! lol....the intruction book is far to long!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    A quick search on Petco's petcare section says this:

"The right way to pick up and hold a cat: Place the right hand under the cat’s chest, cradle her bottom with the left hand, and carry her close to the body while supporting her feet."

Depending on whether you're right-handed or left handed .... I usually hold my kitties' back legs and bottom with my right hand and support their chest/front paws with my left hand which puts them in the perfect position to smooch their sweet little faces

I also sometimes cradle my cats in my arms as one would a baby. Mishi will tolerate this; Mitzi doesn't like being picked up or held for very long, but I keep triyng.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I pick up my cats with the left hand under the chest and the right hand behind the back legs. I can carry mine close to my chest.

Unfortunately if the cat becomes scared this is worst way. It puts the cat in a great position from which to jump and you can't respond quick enough. It is good for cuddling while carrying.

When you pick the cat up you can flip the cat on its back on your arm and use the other hand on the cats chest.

At cat shows they use another technique. One hand under the cats chest behind the front legs and the other hand in front of the back lags. You pick the cat up with the front legs sticking forward and the back legs sticking backwards while lifting the cat above your head in front of you. It takes training: both for you and the cat. The cat is immobile but high enough to see everything. They are less afraid and you have complete control.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Usually I just scoop them up under the chest and support their back legs on my other hand. Sometimes I hold Sonny like a little baby just to embarrass him in front of the other furkids. Cats are pretty flexible and its hard to hurt them, but most of them have preferences on how to be carried.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I pick them all up the way mentioned - right under the chest. Depending on the cat though....
    Allen: Carried with his paws on my shoulder, his face looking over the shoulder much like I would be burping a baby

Pouncer: I carry with him cradled in my arms belly up, back completely supported much like a baby.

The others all get carried in variation of the same two techniques! Some cats HATE to have belly up, so know the cat before you try it. The cats will actually tell you how they are most comfortable. You can't force a cat to be held that doesn't want to be held, and a cat that does like to be picked up and held will almost nestle himself into your arms the way they want to be held.

yes, i agree with others...i think most important thing is to support thier lower legs(hind feet)...i think feeling secure is most important...and of course, if they want to get down, let them,...

You grab them by the backside, with one hand on each side of their hindquarters, and then sling them over your shoulder...

Oh wait, only Mozart actually likes this. He loves to be tossed around like a beanbag, and usually winds up purring when he settles on my shoulder. VERY laid back kitty.