Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purebred or not?

Purebred or not?

We got Emma from breeder two years ago.Apparently both her mom and dad were show dogs however lately alot of people have been saying that she must not be pure bred. What do you think?

Purebred or not?

It's hard to tell, I've always thought she was mixed, but she does look very close.

People ask the same with Jasper sometimes, as he has a few faults, but he's perfect to me, of course

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

purbred lol people think Misty is a mix too, some people insist she is a mix, but she is purbred lol she also came from a breeder and i have met her parents.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

She looks pure to me. Goldens can vary a LOT in looks and shape/size from what I have seen. Some are quite large, others more medium, some have more small/slender heads, some have larger blockier heads, some have thick/long coats, some have shorter thinner coats... etc. I think goldens are probably one of the most commonly bred dogs and that leads to a lot of variation. Of course definitely not all are up to AKC standards..
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I looked on her breeders website and I saw pictures of her mom (Lillian) and her dad (Rouge) They both look purebred so I guess Emma is. We got her from Walkabout Acres. here is the breeders website.

http://www.walkaboutacres.com/dawnal...mond%20Lil.htm

She looks like a purebred to me...

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

Jesica is right - Goldens are one breed that is so VERY popular and has alot of variation in what is considered 'show' quality -

I've seen goldens as red as setters, to dark, med and light gold - some English and Canadian goldens tend to be almost white! I've seen long 'feathering' and short; thick coats and thin; blocky heads and narrower heads.

A friend's "Dickens", has a light blonde purebred golden boy with a wavy coat & a blocky head that weighs 90 lbs and not an ounce of fat on him - my "Fizz" has a champion pedigree that would challenge any show dog - but she tops the scales at only 60 lbs and she's got a narrower, softer face, a smooth coat, and a black spot on her tongue ( typical golden) they are both 'PURE BRED' but look very different.

Some differences show up between goldens bred for field work (hunting and retreiving) and those bred for confirmation or obedience. they are all 'Pure breds' -

I'm no show expert - but from the shows I have seen, judges seems to prefer the med to light colors, and blockier heads - though they are all beautiful.

Your baby looks purebred to me - if people think that
    Emma's a mix because she doesn't have luxurious 'feathers' - it may be that her breeder went for more of a field dog than for confimation, or just that she's only 2 - goldens mature more slowly than other breeds, and I have seen goldens get longer, feathery-er coats after age 3 or even 4! It might also depend on where you live (weather)

Whatever people SAY - you know that she's got a 'PURE GOLD' heart - right?

I think she's beautiful!

Laura
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

she's looks purebred to me!Like k9soul said,they can vary is size,shape and colour.
    she's very pretty btw!

When I first saw her, I was actually wondering if she was a GoldenxLab or a purebred Golden... because she looks like she has a shorter coat and her ears remind me of a Lab. Either way, she's gorgeous. you would know much better than me, though... I'm not great with any of the sporting breeds. does she have papers? that'd be a good way to tell

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

WElll..hard t tell LOL...She looks more like purebred for me :P

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Look at roof of mouth

To figure out if the dog is purebreed or not look at the roof of the dog's mouth or tongue. If it is solid pink then it is purebreed. IF there are black or patches of discoloration then it most likely is a mix.
    I don't know the science behind it but that is what I have been told. I had a purebreed Chow who's entire mouth and tongue was dark Blue color. No pink.
    I think your dog may have a "Lab" cousin a line back. My favorite dog I ever had was a Golden Retriever named Scruffy. She did not look like any Golden's I've seen. So Golden's can be different from eachother but still be Golden!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

She looks Purebred to me , although i am no expert,

Re: Look at roof of mouth

Originally posted by Scooby4
    To figure out if the dog is purebreed or not look at the roof of the dog's mouth or tongue. If it is solid pink then it is purebreed. IF there are black or patches of discoloration then it most likely is a mix.
    I don't know the science behind it but that is what I have been told. I had a purebreed Chow who's entire mouth and tongue was dark Blue color. No pink.
    I think your dog may have a "Lab" cousin a line back. My favorite dog I ever had was a Golden Retriever named Scruffy. She did not look like any Golden's I've seen. So Golden's can be different from eachother but still be Golden!
    Sorry but I really do not believe this. Nebo has tons of spots on the roof of his mouth...brown spots on top of the pink. And he is a purebred dog.

I don't think there's any way to prove a dog is purebred other than finding out what dogs were bred before them and so on many years back.

Thanks everyone. I guess in the end it doesnt really matter, shes my little baby

We have heard good things about her breeder and as far as I can tell she is a good breeder so I am guessing she is purebred like she told us.

Re: Re: Look at roof of mouth

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Sorry but I really do not believe this. Nebo has tons of spots on the roof of his mouth...brown spots on top of the pink. And he is a purebred dog.

I don't think there's any way to prove a dog is purebred other than finding out what dogs were bred before them and so on many years back.

I totally agree.... The coloring of their mouth is just pigment, and has nothing to do with their breed. Gonzo also has black spots in his mouth.

LMAO. I have heard so many dumb theories on how to tell if a dog is purebred. My sister (who is 21 and should know better) believes that if a dog has a hairy mole on their face, they're purebred... I think some one at Petco told her that

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz