Thread: How to reply??

How to reply??

I was interviewed for a job a week and half ago... I KNEW I wouldn't get it upon leaving because they told me they would be calling my last boss as a reference and I know he's been having a jolly time of smearing my good reputation - illegal... I know!

Any way, I got this email on Friday and my husband insists I respond to it offering myself as a fulltime candidate. Well I felt they pretty much told me they wouldn't... anyway, here's the email:
    ~~~
    Kim,
    I just wanted to follow-up up and once again thank-you for taking the time to come in and meet with us to discuss our needs for design services. Our goal is to find a full-time designer with experience to work out of the Norristown office and we have a few candidates we are currently considering. We would however appreciate you standing by on an "as needed basis" as things will start to heat up around here. Don't hesitate to follow-up with myself or Doug from time to time to check our work-load!
    Thanks again and we will be in touch!
    ~~~

Now, I think the letter pretty much confirmed without saying it that they wouldn't hire me fulltime for any reason. Hubby wants me to send something back, but I feel like its groveling. As if they're going to admit my last boss spoke ill of me! This is the reply I have drafted already but it feels fake to me:
    ~~~
    Thank you so much for your time as well! I appologise for not responding to your email earlier - I have that awful flu that is going around.

I would love to be on stand-by and take on any work that you may need to have done. Please let me know if you need anything else, or if any of your other candidates don't pan out, as I would be interested in that full time in-house position.
    ~~~

Sound about right? Send it, not send it? Any ideas or thoughts to add?

I say send something. It couldn't hurt! Your previous boss may be smearing your rep, but I think it says a lot that they still asked you to stick around for an "as-needed" basis. Get your foot in the door anyway you can and let them know you are available for as much as they'll give you, including full time. If you help out and work with them in some capacity, they'll see your last boss was a lying sack and maybe hire you full time!

Thank you so much for your time as well! I appologise for not responding to your email earlier - I have that awful flu that is going around.

I would love to be on stand-by and take on any work that you may need to have done. Please let me know if you need anything else, or if any of your other candidates don't pan out, as I would be interested in that full time in-house position.
    ~~~
    I would start the second paragraph with something like "While I appreciate your interest in me as a Stand-by, I also hope you are also considering me as one of the candidates for the full-time position.

If you spoke to Mr. last boss, please take his response with a grain of salt, as he is untrustworthy and has been bad-mouthing me for his own personal reason, which had nothing to do with the work I did for him, or my job there. I would happy to supply other, more trustworthy references, as I worry he may prejudice any furture employers."

I like what Karen said also. I would add that part in
    Your letter sounds good I am not sure exactly what they mean, but if you can take a stand by position, it might lead you to full time if you work hard, and express interest in wanting a full time job every now and then
    Good luck sweetie!!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I don't know that you would want to say something negative about your old boss in your letter.. that might make you look bad.

I think Karen's first line is great though - let them know you are interested! If you are worried your old boss said somehting negative, just say something else about what is positive about you and really try to sell yourself. If they specifically say that you got a poor recommendation, then say something but you might sound kind of paranoid and defensive if you are the one to bring it up

Me????

This is how I reply.

I appreciate your follow-up message.

I would be interested to work for you on as needed basis.
    I am sure you will find that my work is equal to or surpasses your
    expectations.

Thank you.
    ---------------------------------

The price goes up 15-20 percent.

For not getting

-Benefits
    -vacations
    -any thing else they have to offer....

Be Brash.

People like cocky!

The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by Nomilynn
    I don't know that you would want to say something negative about your old boss in your letter.. that might make you look bad.
    I agree - don't do that...

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I would advise against saying anything negative about your former employer. You don't know what he said about you ~ negatively or positively. If he's that big of a jerk, they probably are wise to him. I would have some concerns about hiring someone who spoke negatively about their former employer. It would make me wonder what they would be saying about me when they had moved on.

I think show interest in working "as needed" for a while. However, re-state that your intention is a full-time position. And, that you intend to keep working towards that goal. Hopefully, with them, but if not, you will be investigating other opportunities.

It could be that they really want you, but are concerned about some negative things your previous boss MAY have said (assume he's innocent at this point). Once you accept an assignment from them, you will prove yourself and they will realize that whatever your old boss said, needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, they may not be able to guarantee you enough hours to make it worth your while and you will have to move on. One thing you might offer to do is to accept 1 assignment free of charge so that you can show them what you are capable of.

This worked for me years ago when I was desperate for a job but did not have the required skills yet. I offered to work for one week without pay to show them that I was capable and eager to learn. That one week of missed pay was well worth the 15 years of employment it led to!

Lisa
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Please do not say anything about your last boss -- for all the reasons stated. That is a HUGE red flag to employers!

But do send a nice letter expressing your interest.....