Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever order airline tickets on-line at a discount site?

Anyone ever order airline tickets on-line at a discount site?

I was checking flights to England on websites such as cheaptickes.com and Globe travels low airfares. etc. But since I have never booked a flight of ANY kind, I wondered if anyone had any experience they could share with me. (the good and the bad of using this type of reservation system) The prices are so fantastic that they are hard to resist, but I can't help wondering what is the catch?

Thanks in advance.

i have never book on the discount sites.We usually book online,with the airline that we choose,which usually for us is Air Canada,American or Continental.
    I dont know if theres a catch really?But if you feel comfortable booking with them,then go for it!

I always buy my tickets from those discount sites and have never had a problem. I'm not sure what the return policy is since I've never had to cancel a trip. But I know that everytime I've booked from them everything has gone smoothly. I also book hotels from those sites.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I've used cheaptickets several times, and my parents have also, and never had problems. In fact, there was a change in flight time (about a 5 minute difference) and cheaptickets tried calling them I think 3 times (all different people) to make sure they had this information!!

I've booked through expedia.com several times without any problem. The tickets are electronic, so you just bring your confirmation number to the airport to get your boarding pass. I've also booked through the specific airline's Web site without a problem.

The thing to be cautious about is the rule for changes and cancellations: they are usually not allowed or allowed only for a high fee. If you're sure you won't cancel, go for it!
    Oreo and Molly

I've used the discount sites like expedia.com and cheaptickets.com and have never had a problem.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I have used them several times for hotels and flights and never had a problem. They are generally much cheaper than the actual airline's web prices.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I use travelocity and expedia and have never had a problem. I like travelocity best. Just seems easier to use to me.

I am so jealous.....

We bought our honeymoon plane tickets online, plus made many room reservations for soccer tournaments from discount websites. The only time I was disappointed was in a Best Western... and that was more to do with that particualr hotel than the site. I'd never buy tickets any other way - its easy and fast --- and the prices can't be beat!

I have purchased from and enjoyed expedia, travelocity, and orbitz.

Karen and I went to England via Priceline. Because we could not choose our airline and routing we lost a day. I doubt I will ever user Priceline again. I will also avoid US Airways.

Karen's office went to England and Scotland via Go-Today. They enjoyed their trip.

I would not recommend buying a package with hotel reservations unless you know exactly where you will be staying before you purchase. To me the biggest downside is ending up in a hotel you would not want to stay in. Because I am picky, I also will no longer use the services that do not specify the exact itinerary, airline and routing in advance.

It's clear to me you can save a lot of money by checking a dozen or more websites and booking online. I also could waste a lot of time endlessly checking websites for one hotel room.

Before I go anywhere I also check Flyertalk. Some discount sites still allow frequent flyer miles. Thanks to Flyertalk it only took two flights for Karen and I to have enough miles for award tickets to Hawaii.

There are always great deals to England in the winter. England is even warmer than Boston. There is no catch. Although Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle are only open at the end of the Summer. There is more than enough to do in London at any time of the year.

London is always very expensive. In the Summer the air pollution is bothersome.

Paul

Some price quotes include some fees and or taxes. You should compare prices that include all fees and taxes.

From TravelZoo

Boston (BOS) to London (LGW)
    10 Jan, 2005 - 17 Jan, 2005

Base       Taxes      Total
    $178.89   $161.10   $339.99

Paul

That is a lot of good information, Paul. Thanks! And I wasn't even the one asking! LOL!!!

I use Expedia but always compare with Travelocity and Cheaptickets. I have never had problems. We even used them for our tickets to Japan. Missy and Paul used a discount place and I think it was Orbitz- for their tickets from Tokyo to Ohio. Great service. It is so convenient now as all you need is that e-ticket number and many times can even get your boarding pass at a kiosk. I know the first time - it was ODD to not have a paper ticket, but now seems very normal. The price difference is pretty amazing, too.

I have several times and have never had any problems

Some companies overbook their flights; so make sure to get some info on the reputation of the company you wanna use!
    Have a great trip, Jen
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge