Thread: Breed Help

1. Breed Help

Bernese Mtn Dog
    Siberian Husky
    AK Malamute
    German Shepherd

We're looking for a dog who:

+ will be even tempered and good with children ~ we understand that there's training on both sides of that equation

+ loves to run

+ can be trained to pull a wagon/sled

+ is strong enough to ENJOY pulling a wagon/sled bearing roughly 60 pounds of children (2 kids) while running next to Mom

Any ideas?
    Do any of the above breeds sound right for this?
    Am I whacked for imagining this?

Thanks

Welcome to PT! I am owned by a rottie, a mini dachshund and a Toller mix I hope you enjoy it here. I don't know exactly what breed would be best for you but why do you need it to pull 60lbs of kids?

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Welcome! I have a siberian husky. There are no kids that live at my house, but my sister does bring hers over sometimes...he's pretty good with them, but I think many huskies may be too boisterous for kids. They do LOVE to run...but they also have a tendency to be escape artists. You will need at least a 6 ft fence to contain them, and they need to be leashed at all times when they are not in a fenced area. I haven't tried it personally, but I know they can be trained to pull a wagon/sled as that's something they were bred to do. I'm not sure if one siberian husky would be able to pull 2 children on a sled....they are only 40-60 lbs themselves. I'm sure somebody that runs a sled team (such as Glacier) could help you out further.

Most of what I said goes for malamutes as well, though they are much bigger/stronger and could pull a heavier sled.

Any of those breeds could be trained to pull a sled. Generally a dog can safely pull three times it's own body weight. However, that's over a fairly short distance and not any great speed.

Sibes are generally good with kids, but they are highly active and can be a bit much for toddlers. Like wolf-q said sibes are hard to contain and need special fencing. Most huskies don't come back if they are off leash.

Malamutes can pull more weight than a husky. However, they are also much larger, need more room ect. They have the same fencing requirements and GOOD LUCK getting a mal to run and pull at the same time. My malamutes at best trot when they have a load on. My purebred mal refuses to pull at all with any kind of weight on. He's lazy!

You also need to consider any other animals you have. Both malamutes and huskies tend to be bad with smaller furred critters. Malamutes also have a tendancy toward dog aggression, especially to same sex dogs.

I've never owned a Bernese Mountain dog, but friends of mine have them. They are trained to weight pull, not fast, but they can move a lot of weight. They are much easier to train than huskies and malamutes. They seem to lack that stubborn streak that the other breeds have in spades! The ones I have met have been good with kids and generally laid back dogs. I'd love to own one someday.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

5. Wow, thank you!

Very, very helpful stuff!

Glacier, could you help me define fast? My run is 5 miles, and it takes an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.

Is that fast for a dog? That might be a nice trot for a dog.

And thanks for the welcome!

Originally posted by VikingMommy
    Glacier, could you help me define fast? My run is 5 miles, and it takes an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.

Is that fast for a dog? That might be a nice trot for a dog.
    That's fast for a Malamute--slow for a siberian! I think the Bernese would fall in the middle of the other two. You would have to work with the dog and slowly get them up to your speed, but I'm sure most dog would love it.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

7. I'm so glad you think most dogs would love it! I was concerned that this would be a "project" for the dog and not a joy. I really want this to be fun.

The Bernese sounds as though it's going to be it.

As far as working with the dog, I was planning to get a pup and train her from youth. I would expect that that would take a good two years before the pup would be able to pull anything bearing any weight, right?

Welcome!!

Yes, I would say two years.. once the pup is full grown, and you've worked with them in training.

I think the Bernese Mountain Dog would be the best, or a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (just about the same, but the Swissie has shorter hair)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

9. What do you think of a Dane doing this kind of thing?

I'm seeing photos of Danes with carts. I know they like to run and are strong.

I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (relative to the Berner), and i have been to many Swissie events. These dogs are made to pull heavy loads. They can pull up to thousands of pounds. I am not sure about carrying a heavy load for long distances. They originally started out as helpers, to carry milk, and such, to people in towns in Switzerland, with their carts hooked up behind them. ( The Swissie is the larger version of the Bernese, and is short haired...you can see my Swissie in my signature). There are 4 types of Sennehunds...the Great Swiss, the Bernese, the entlebucher and the appenzellar. ANyway, Swissies are very large dogs...can range from 110-140 lbs. They generally have a very sweet temperment, but, as with any breed, you may find one really shy, or overly hyper. I have a Swissie, and also have a 3 year old child, and you must watch them when playing together...b/c, unintentionally, the Swissie will knock over small children. I know someone with a Berner, and the dog stays right by her side, unleashed...seems to have a good temperment.

Not sure if it is the same way with Berners, but Swissies are very hard to house train, it takes a lot of patience!! I was told this before i ever adopted Dale, and he stayed true that fact!! Swissies need to be reminded often, that they are not alpha, b/c they can tend to forget their place in the pack

They love to be with their humans, and are very willing workers. ANyway, if you are intersted in looking into Berner breeders, or Swissie breeders, i can find you some very reputable ones.

If it weren't for all the hair and shedding, i would love to have a Berner someday, they seem like great family dogs. I love my Swissie, though!!

One more thing, I know that Swissie's aren't suppose to cart pull until like 18 months old, due to growing at such rapid rates as a young pup, and i am not sure if the same goes for Berners...

I was hoping Christiansmommy was going to post about Dale!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Originally posted by pitc9
    I was hoping Christiansmommy was going to post about Dale!!

13. Thanks!

Your Dale is lovely.

I would be interested in talking to breeders for sure.

Originally posted by VikingMommy
    Thanks!

Your Dale is lovely.

I would be interested in talking to breeders for sure.

I pm'd you, the phone number of Dale's breeder ( Swiss Mountain Dog breeder). He may be able to help you decide if the Swissie is the breed for you...and may have a Berner breeder recommendation...