Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long between litter changes?

How long between litter changes?

How long do you go before you replace the litter all together? I clean it out each day of stuff she has done and put a little fresh stuff in every other day. How long before I should change the whole litter? Thank you, Debbie

I'm kind of bad about doing the complete litter change regularly. I scoop the boxes daily but I'm lucky if I competely clean every couple of months. When I do I dump out the litter and clean the boxes with Mr. Clean and water and then set them in the sun to dry and air out. If I had the litter boxes in the house I would probably do it more often but they are out in a room in the garage and my cats access them with a pet door.

Here's a picture of the kitty's private potty.

We just bought new vinyl to put down in there since the old stuff is cracking and breaking off. I have to laugh because once we do that the cat's litterbox room will have a newer floor than my kitchen, LOL!
    Last edited by jazzcat; 10-13-2004 at 02:44 PM.

From Decker with Love

That is a great idea! Sometimes I wish I had a bigger house...... Oh well. She is going in the spare bathroom which is also my hubby's bathroom or a guest bath and she is soooo stinky! It will be worse when we have her in the RV - talk about small - when staying on the land on weekends - we will try her out traveling this weekend. Funny what you said about the floor - we are finally talking seriously about new carpet - it is so worn out and you can really tell when paying so much attention to the cat - closer to the carpet... haha Debbie

Hi there

I scoop out daily and change the lit over about every 7-10 days. Every couple of changes I wash the tray with v.hot water.

Lisa

I change Mina's litter every Saturday. I wash the litter box every other week with some dish soap and hot water and then use a clean towel to dry it.

I do, however, scoop it out everyday.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I completely dump out all the litter, rinse and bleach out the boxes, and set them in the sun to dry every 5 or 6 weeks or so. I can't afford to completely change them out any more often than that - It's a lot of litter!! But that's OK because the kitties don't seem to be bothered with it, and as long as I scoop everyday, there is no smell or anything.

I use the clumping litter and scoop at least once a day. Then about every couple of months I do a complete changeout of litter and wash the pan really well.
    Again, on the litter issue, having one cat makes it less neccesary to add extra deodorizer (what is already in the fresh step is sufficient) and changeout of the litter.

Wow, I scoop every day and get fresh litter about every other week or so. ( Remus is PICKY!)

I scoop once a day, and do a complete change every 2-3 weeks.

I only scoop once or twice a week. I keep a VERY deep litter box (like 6 or 7 inches) and Boomer doesn't mind, so it works for me Less scooping is better for me at the moment because I'm pregnant and have to get all geared up with surgical mask and surgical gloves I completely clean out the litter box and scrub it with dish soap every 6 weeks or so
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I rarely do a complete change. In the past year - maybe 3 or 4 times? I use Fresh Step and Scoop several times per day and honestly - I do not think there is any smell! Anything "deposited" is removed. The few times I did a complete change was when I was running low on litter anyway so figure why not? Then, I scrub the boxes with scouring powder plus bleach and rinse really well.

This has been with three cats and three boxes. Now I have five cats and three boxes but one of the boxes is HUGE (my sandy beach) and holds 21 pounds of litter replaced three of my extra large boxes - it is the size of a footlocker It is a plastic storage box that is something a person might store bedding or blankets in and is very tall - sure has cut out the piles of litter on the floor

Originally posted by Sirrahsim
    because I'm pregnant and have to get all geared up with surgical mask and surgical gloves
    Are you serious??

Originally posted by Sirrahsim
    I'm pregnant and have to get all geared up with surgical mask and surgical gloves
    I was told to stay away from litter when I was pregnant. My doctor said it was best for my husband or someone else to change the litter.

I scoop maybe every 2 days and do a complete change every 1 or 2 weeks.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

scoop every third day complete change once a week...

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I scoop about every 2 days. I change the litter every 10 days or so...whenever it starts smelling. I bleach it out and clean it real good about once every 2-3 months.

Thank you Wolfie!