Thread: Christmas Trees

Christmas Trees

My incorrigible cat, Bushes, has decided that she MUST drink water from my Christmas tree stand. I'm doing my best to break her of this habit, but in the meantime, she has (of course) gotten some of the sap from the tree in her fur. I discovered it this morning when she was trying to scrub it off onto my sweatshirt. Anyone have any ideas how to get this out for her?

I don't know about the sap, but be careful letting your cat to drink the water. I've heard that it is very toxic. I have put a sheet around the base of my tree and covered the stand, so Mimi can't see that yummy water.
    Maybe something like nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball would help to get the sap off. It would evaporate quickly, so your cat wouldn't be able to lick it off.

Good luck. There isn't anything worse than a "sticky" kitty.

Thanks! I've been doing all kinds of research on toxic plants, etc. She did this last year too, and is still alive, so I think it's okay. I've tried to dissuade her with the water gun, loud noise, and anything else I can think of. I'm going to a closed stand next year! That's probably the only thing that will help! I'm going to try the alcohol idea tonight. I have a vision of my kitty stuck to the tree trunk - I hope it doesn't happen! Thanks for your ideas!

Originally posted by lhg0962:
    I don't know about the sap, but be careful letting your cat to drink the water. I've heard that it is very toxic. I have put a sheet around the base of my tree and covered the stand, so Mimi can't see that yummy water.
    Maybe something like nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball would help to get the sap off. It would evaporate quickly, so your cat wouldn't be able to lick it off.

Good luck. There isn't anything worse than a "sticky" kitty.