Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think That Sky's Afraid Of My Fan

I Think That Sky's Afraid Of My Fan

Hi everyone. It's been very hot here the last couple of days as well as during the night. I don't have air conditioning so I decided to leave a fan running all night in my bedroom. I've done this before without any problems.

Sky woke me up at 4am on Sat. morning. He kept crying and crying and I didn't know what was wrong with him. I thought he was hungry and just wanted an early breakfast. I had to take him out of my room and shut my door for a while.

This morning he woke me up at 3am and kept crying and crying. I was trying to figure out what has been different these last two nights and then I remembered the fan. I turned the fan off and then Sky calmed down and went back to sleep.

Later on I fed them and then went back to bed. I then decided to turn the fan back on. My furkids were happily bird watching in the other room. Eventually Sky came in my room and started crying again. This time I just ignored him and he left the room. I sure hope that our heat spell won't last too much longer so I can finally get a good nights sleep.

Are any of your cats afraid of fans? If I were Sky I'd love to sleep with a cool breeze blowing on my long fur. I know that Storm enjoys this.

Tracey, I recently turned a fan on in my dining room. I was sure that I would have some objections, but I was amazed that it didn't faze them.

My R/B baby, Magic was scared to death of ceiling fans though, and used to croutch low down on the ground as though it was going to swoop down and get him.

Originally posted by gini

My R/B baby, Magic was scared to death of ceiling fans though, and used to croutch low down on the ground as though it was going to swoop down and get him.
    LOL If it was a ceiling fan then I'd understand more of why he's afraid but it's just a medium sized floor fan. I have a ceiling fan in my dining room that I leave on all the time when it's hot and none of the furkids are afraid of it.

When my parents still had their cat, she used to be very afraid of their ceiling fan too.

I haven't used a fan-fan in awhile. I wonder if the cats would be scared of it? I know at first, Allie and Dakky were scared of the ceiling fans. Silly twins.

Willow was terrified of the ceiling fans for many months before he finally realized that they cannot hurt him.

Poor Sky. Neither of my boys are afraid of fans, but Pouncer is NOT happy about our window Air Conditioning unit in our bedroom. He leaves the room as soon as I turn it on, otherwise he'd hang out in here all day long.

Thankfully, he's gotten better as the summer has progressed... especially since its in the 90s right now and humid humid humid!

When I was at Sallyanne's place she just got new fans for the kitchen and the living room. And for 2 days the cats did not even set a foot in the rooms- and they are not exactly known for being easily scared.

So first we put the fan only in slow mode and after some days they got it that it is no eagle on cat hunt

LOL Silly Sky!! I would think the fan would feel good on his long fur too! LOL Perhaps it's the noise?
    My boys don't seem phased at all. When it gets really hot, we have a box fan in our bathroom window that blows towards our bedroom where we have an oscillating fan to distribute the cool air.
    If we put the box fan directly on the ground, the boys will usually knock it down! LOL

I decided not to use it last night and everything was fine. I did use is this morning when I was working out and Sky sat right in front of it and didn't seem scared at all. Maybe it was because he was sitting next to his momma.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Aww, poor Sky! My two LOVE the fan, especially with this hot weather we've been having. Mishi even meows at me to turn it on and then they flop down in front of it and let it ruffle their fur.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Max is deathly afraid of the fans. He slinks down low to get passed them. However because of our heat wave I do have them on all day, every day. Believe it or not, he seems to be getting used to them somewhat. He hasn't slept on the bed for a couple of months now because the fan is aimed right at my pillow.

The cat that I look after sometimes, Rusty, is also deathly afraid of ceiling fans.

Speckles on the other hand enjoys the coolness of the breeze.
    Last edited by slick; 08-31-2004 at 10:13 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Mine are afraid of the vacuum cleaner but I've never seen them around a fan!

Now I'm not so sure if Sky is really afraid of the fan or not.
    I didn't have the fan on last night and he still tried to wake me up at 4am. He was very persistant and kept crying. I just don't know what his problem is lately. I wish I could understand cat.

At first, I thought you meant a ceiling fan too. All summer I keep a floor fan in the bedroom and another in the living room. While Beau and Felicia aren't afraid of them, they don't lay in front of them either.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I sometimes wish Don Juan was afraid of my window fan....

As it is, he wears a St. Francis medal on his collar, because if he knocks over the window fan at 3 a.m. again, he'd better have St. Francis on his side!

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado