Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snoopy Just Had a Seizure!

Snoopy Just Had a Seizure!

I am still shaking! My little boy just had a seizure - I have never seen a dog have one and it scared the heck out of me. I have called the vet and since he seems okay now they want to see him tomorrow morning. Please pray for my Snoopy!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Poor Snoopy i hope he's okay, I wonder what caused it

The vet said he may be epileptic - they will do a blood test in the morning - although I am not sure that will show he is but may rule out other things. I was so upset when I talked to her that I am not sure what the blood test is for. They don't know why some dogs are but some dog breeds are more likely to get it than others.

I am all alone with my five dogs and it happened so suddenly and I didn't really know what was going on. Drool and blood were coming out of his mouth and he couldn't seem to open his mouth. But he looked like his mouth was seizing too and he kept biting his tongue and making it bleed. Then he started shaking, fell on his side, eyes rolling and he looked so scared. He lost control of his bowels and more and more drool was coming from his mouth. He was stiff as a board. I was so scared he was dying right in front of my eyes. Aand I had no clue how to help
    him.

I called a neighbor to come down and help me and while waiting for him called the vets answering service. I doubt if I was very coherent - I was so upset!!!! The neighbor's dog has had seizures before so he knew what to do - which was really nothing because by that time he was out of it and just a little unsure of what was going on and a little wobbly.

He had some problems last night which the vet thinks was a smaller seizure. She said they will probably start him on medicine so he won't have more and later possibly try to wean him off.

Thank God for neighbors and quickly responding vets.

--William Feather

Poor you and poor Snoops - here's hoping the vets ind a way to help tomorrow!

Oh no, how scary! I hope Snoopy is feeling better and I hope he doesn't have any more seizures. Hugs!
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Poor Snoopy. I hope you guys find a way to keep everything under control. Please keep us updated!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Poor Snoopy. *hugs*

Good Luck at the vets! I hope everything turns out to be okay.

OMgosh Diana!
    This brings memories screaming back to me of my Shaianne.
    They ran a blood test on her also. It is very scary to watch them go thru it. How awful.
    Please keep us posted and if you need anything, and I mean anything Diana, you call me!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Oh no poor Snoopy , i hope the Vet can figure out what is wrong with him and get him onto some treatment ASAP.

{{Hugs}}
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Oh dear, how scary! I'm glad you had help nearby. Snoopy will be in my prayers - keep us updated!
    Last edited by Kater; 08-14-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Hey!

My parents' dog, Gus, was diagnosed as an epileptic last year at 8 years old. Turns out he just has a reaction when he eats carion or processed deli meat that makes him have seizures. The medicine they put him on really messed him up and turned out he didn't need it! He just needed to stay away from those things. I'm not saying this is your situation... but I hope it helped!

I am sorry you had to be alone at a time like that. They are terrifying to watch for sure. My RB dog, Ashley (a miniature poodle), developed them at about age 7 or 8. Her first seizure happened in the middle of the night in my daughter's bed as that is where she always slept. By the time my daughter came fully awake, realized what had happened and ran into our room the seizure was over. We could still see a little remaining foam around her mouth and her bladder had emptied on my daughter's bed. She had been playing with my other dog (a standard poodle) the day before and had violently struck her head against the wall as they played Tug-O-War. (You know they shake their heads from side-to-side when tugging). I was in the kitchen at the time and heard the *thud.* When I came running she was acting dazed so, looking back, I felt pretty sure that her seizure was related to that.

She had another one the following day and so we were off to the vet's. He said poodles are one of those breeds that are at risk for seizures and said the injury could be the cause but it could be coincidental. She took phenobarb for the rest of her life and never had one again. If Snoopy is started on medicine they will want you to come in periodically and check on the level of the meds in his blood. It is manageable, and I am told that they absolutely are not in any pain during one. (((hugs)))

Thanks for all the replies, best wishes. It is now 8:30 a.m. and the vet is not opened yet. But I will be on the phone at 9:00 for sure. Snoopy had another seizure at 2:30 a.m. I woke up to Dazzi barking and ran out to see what was wrong. Snoopy was in his crate seizing again. (The vet said that I should let him sleep there if that is normally where he sleeps because he would be more comfortable and also because if he was on a couch or bed he may fall off.) It wasn't as bad as the first one. He was laying on his side and drool was coming out of his mouth and he looked scared but he seemed to do okay with me rubbing his side and talking gently to him. (I was really nutso during that first one and I wonder if that made it worse???) He came out of it after a couple of minutes and then seemed dazed. He gets very thirsty and hungry after one and then he whines for a while. I laid on the couch next to his crate til he settled and then because Oreo and Jack wouldn't settle with me out there, I went back to bed. The rest of the night passed okay.

He is a little more laid back this morning. Since Snoopy is hyper that is saying alot. I can't wait for the vet's to open.

--William Feather

I am sending oodles of thoughts and prayers for Snoopy.
    Fingers and toes crossed that all goes well at the vets
    and the medicine works.

(We had an old poodle mix that developed seizures
    at an older age)

----<---<--<{(@

Aww.. not surewwho I should worse for,, you or poor ol snoopy,,,,

Let us all know what happens,, and for heavens sake,, get on some good pet insurance,, I know that some meds for seizures can get very pricey!!!!