Thread: WOW Sheep In Texas Contracted Rabies!!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

WOW Sheep In Texas Contracted Rabies!!

Posted on Fri, Aug. 06,04
    Officials not taking any chances in sheep rabies case

By Mitch Mitchell

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Texas Department of Health recommends that people whose families might have been exposed to a rabid sheep at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center give them a call, despite confusion about the test results.

The health department lab in Austin has tested and retested a brain sample from an infected sheep and each time gets positive results for rabies, said James Wright, a veterinarian with the Zoonosis Control Division in Arlington.

A different brain sample from the sheep that was sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Georgia tested negative, Wright said.

"For some reason, we are getting this inconsistency," Wright said. "But when dealing with a disease the magnitude of rabies, we don't feel that we have any choice but to proceed with our investigation and pursue the appropriate follow-up."

A Barbados sheep named Cybill was euthanized July 30 after showing symptoms of a neurological disease. On Wednesday, Fossil Rim Wildlife Center was notified by state health officials that lab tests showed that Cybill had rabies.

The Children's Animal Center where Cybill lived at the popular wildlife facility has been quarantined and closed to the public for 90 days. Fossil Rim is about 55 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

"The people we are really concerned about are children who fed the animal and got their hands sloppy wet, or, as some children do, kissed the animal, or were licked in the face," Wright said.

No people with symptoms have been found, Wright said.

People at risk for rabies exposure are those who:

• Visited the Children's Animal Center at Fossil Rim between July 10 and July 30.

• Came in contact with a Barbados sheep named Cybill, who was woolly, small and rusty brown with black lower legs and no horns.

• Got Cybill's saliva in their eyes, mouth or into any open cuts or wounds.

Rabies symptoms include a short period of mental depression, restlessness, headaches, fever, fatigue, nausea, sore throat or loss of appetite, according to the National Institutes of Health Web site.

For rabies-exposure information

Visitors to the children's center at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center from July 10 to July 30 who may have been exposed to a rabid sheep are urged to call the Texas Health Department's office in Arlington, (817) 264-4920. For information, go online to www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis. For a photo of a Barbados sheep like Cybill, go to http://www.fossilrim.com/.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Yikes! Scary! I'd be freaking out if my kid had petted that sheep!

There was a bull who contracted rabies a few years ago around here. Scary stuff.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

What a shocker!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/