Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DESPERATE! home for blind kitty needed!

DESPERATE! home for blind kitty needed!

I took in a wonderful stray cat a few months ago. She came to my home begging for food. She is completely blind in one eye, and has such bad cataracts in the other eye that she is functionally blind in that eye, too. She is a small, grey tabby who is resilient, affectionate, and playful. I call her Cora.

I am on disability and have had to move to a rural area recently that provides no rental housing options for someone with pets. I have to find a home for Cora and a home for my dog.

Please help me so that Cora can live in a loving environment with folks who will treat her tenderly and with consideration for her blindness.

She is spayed and is current on her shots. She tested negative for feline leukemia. She has no known health problems. She apparently had kittens at some point, because her belly skin is loose. She seems to be young, though, given how much she likes to play. She weighs in at 7 pounds.

Her sense of hearing is astounding to me! Also her survival instincts. She knows if I drop one grain of rice on a carpeted floor 5 feet from where she's sitting. The way that I've found she likes to play involves me dragging string along the floor, which she chases by listening for the sound. She rejoices in that game. (She also rejoices whenever I'm tying my shoes. I have to lift my feet up high if I don't want to spend my time entertaining her rather than getting my shoes tied.)

I absolutely hate having to give her away. She has won my heart. I am sure she would win the heart of any cat lover.

The tenderest moments with her are when she seeks me out to sit in my lap or to lie down on my stomach or on my back, if I'm lying down. She prefers to be close and connected like that. I think she feels safer sitting or lying on me than not. She sometimes uses that time to clean herself, as if finally she can completely relax and tend to self-care if she's on my lap, since nothing and no one is going to come too near to her or threaten her there; she feels protected.

But she is not shy or timid around other people or other animals. She is undaunted. Outside, though, she'll run away from people and from animals unless she can hear that their voice is familiar or that their snuffling nose is familiar.

Thank you for any help you can give. I have three weeks to find a home for her. After that, I will have no way to take care of her, unless someone else takes her in.

She gets along great with other cats and with dogs. She is able to get around very well, considering her handicap. When she bumps into something, or something or some pet bumps her, she shakes it off right away and just keeps on going.

She is a number one cat, a true hero among cats. She survived the Michigan winter eating out of garbage bags, keeping clear of the cars which travel 55 mph along the adjacent road, and avoiding fights with the many feral cats which eke out a living in this area. The first time I caught a glimpse of her, she was feeling her way through the 4 feet of snow in the yard to get to the food I had left for her at the back door. This cat is amazing.

With hope,
    Sara Manasseh
    [email protected]

Where do you live? About how old is she?

Oh, if I lived closer. I sure hope someone here on PT lives in your area and can help sweet Cora find a forever home!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

You're special situation!

I sure hope someone here knows of some leads for you? Have you posted on the dog side about your dog? Don't landlords stink? Too bad you can't disguise them as children; dress them in clothes and teach them to walk upright and mumble to themselves- you'd have no problem then!
    Welcome to pet talk!
    If anyone knows how to duplicate this on to Cat General, she may get more assistance- cat general seems to get more people (or am i wrong about that?- It does seem so!) I recently learned that a nearby rescue group to me started a program for elderly- they hook up older cats with older people and help get the cat to it's appts etc. It's worth calling local rescue groups- the ones with money may have programs they don't advertise about publically or they may know of a just right home...worth a try..
    Where in Mich are you?
    pixie

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Welcome To Pet Talk!

Cora sounds absolutely wonderful in disposition, and motivation to survive! I subscribe to a number of different handicapped pets boards. This is one example under Yahoo Groups. You have to sign up, and you can request the option of daily digest form, or can go right to the individual website.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disabled-Cats-Rescue/join
    There's several hundred groups started up there, and this is only one example of a very active decent group. It's a good idea to stick with a group that is active with a lot of members, and has a moderator. Spammers like stalking these sites for some reason. Another place you may want to post is www.handicappedpets.com There's a message board to post about her. There's many transportation groups also available but I don't have the info at hand right now. But many animal lovers are willing to drive "X" amount of time or distance, and then another person will take on another leg of the trip etc. until the animal is in a new home! Be very careful with strangers adopting your pets. I can safely say I'd trust most anyone here to provide a safe new forever home for your pets, but there are others that will pose as animal lovers and (well I don't want to get into that) As far as moving the thread to Cat General...all you do is copy the title page, go to Cat general, start new thread, then title and pasts this one there. (I think I could even do that to your post).
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Hi Sara!

Welcome to PT!! I'm glad Jan gave you some links to special needs rescue groups in your area. Hopefully someone will offer Cora a great home. There are alot of people here with big hearts as well that will listen and support your decision.

It's very difficult in a situation like yours to have to rehome your pets. They are your babies. But financially, you have no choice.

If you want to chat, here's my IM name on aol and yahoo. I'll be around. "Mooshoosmom" on both.

Good luck honey!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

thank you!!!

many thanks and warm greetings to all of you who have responded to my posting!! since i don't have a computer, i have to snatch time on other peoples' computers, which means that it may take a few days for me to respond to each of you individually. but know that it means a lot to me that each of you cares!

warmly,
    sara

No one knows?

Of any organizations anywhere or any programs anywhere that can help with finding a special home for a blind female cat that gets along with cats and dogs? I don't know of any but doesn't someone out there?
    pixie

I am so sorry that I don't have any more advice to offer. Living with Magoo (blind adopted kitty) has been so rewarding. I hope you find somone who will give this girl the loving home she deserves. The links that have already been posted are the only ones I know of.
    Prayers for you and Cora that all works out well!! Good luck and keep us posted when you can.

oh gosh!

that was super of you to post! i am worried about this cora (and injured kitty in above thread now too!). Too many out there! Thank you for posting. I had been hoping with you blind experience (!) you may know of something somewhere outhere but that's ok- guess you'll have to adopt cora for your magoo! I AM KIDDING!! HOUSE OVERLOAD! Again- thanks for posting and if you hear of anything helpful...Cora sounds like a doll!
    pixie

Does anyone know where she lives? It would be helpful to know the location as someone may know someone who knows someone might take her. You know how that goes!

she lives somewhere

In Michigan is all I know! Just heard yesterday that it may be that she hasn't been on pt because of a tragedy within her spiritual community. She may be helping others get through this unfortunate incident. Hopefully she will be able to check in soon to let us know how it goes with the search etc! Her Cora and Peach sound like very sweet pets (peach is on dog rescue).
    pixie

hello friends!

hello to all of you helping me with this urgent search! yes, a tragedy has happened among my group of friends; but i still want to work very hard to find a home, or at least a temporary home, for Cora (and for my older dog).

i live in central Michigan. i'm hoping that if i can't find a permanent home for Cora within the next 8 days (my deadline), then perhaps i could find a temporary home to buy more time?

gotta go. i'm on a friend's computer and it's getting late. i love you all for all your help and empathy!

Sara

when you get a chance!

did you check out the website jan sent? what happens to cora and peach after 8 days if no home is found? keep us posted!
    pixie

pictures and info!

hi!

i've posted in handicappedpets.com so far, and am communicating with Bestfriends. i'm needing to locate rescue groups in michigan -- computers and searches for stuff like that are not my forte, which is why you all are such a blessing to me(in addition to your encouragement and comfort)!

i'm putting in a few pictures of this great kitty...

thanks ten billion!!

sara
    Attached Images Attached Images