Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG!!! Opossums!

OMG!!! Opossums!

Yesterday my neighbor, Lorri and my mom were hanging out on our back porch. they were drinking and then my neighbor went to throw her empty beer bottle away. she screamed and said 'what the hell is that!!!' me and my mom went to check it out and there was a opossum tail buried in there! it was soo gross! later when my dad and Lorri's husband Todd came home they went to check it out and get rid of it. OMG! guess what they found out?

IT WAS STILL ALIVE! it was just sleeping. it was eating the trash and got tired, also didnt want to leave his feast. YUCK!

my dad and Todd eventually got the animal out of there, without getting bit!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

bump
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

~Kari~

Awww, I like opossums. I haven't seen one in a while tho. How funny that he was sleeping.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

LOL, we all thought that he was dead and my dad just threw him in there. (even thou we have a ditch right next to our house)

~Kari~

i saw a opossom once...we were at this barbque with my aunt and he was jsut sleep ing in a trash can. and all these kids were crowded around him and he just layed there sleepign. we didn't bother him. i guess he's been there for a while. lol

Possums are good for ecology.
    They are scavengers and will even
    eat coc-roaches.
    They are shy creatures and usually come out when it is
    dark. Rocky has caught a few, and usually I can
    intervene while the poor thing is playing dead.
    I am so happy when they wake up and walk away.

They do look like big rats though. lol

----<---<--<{(@

They are cute creatures - they play dead, because they want to be left alone. They are VERY good at that!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Dana killed one a few days ago. When I found it, there was two babies crawling around on its body. So sad, really depressing.

I could not get anybody to come out and get it, the people at the sheriff's office told me to just take the little tiny babies out, turn them loose and let them fin for themselves!

I didn't, I couldn't just let them die, I know the survival rate is very low, and one has already died. But I have to try to get it to where it can be turn back out in the wild. They think of them as pest here, and I was even told to take it and put a bullet in its head!

Anyway, I am stuck with a small baby. Libby has been giving me advice on what to feed it, and so far, so good with the little male.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Aww!!

You should name it Oliver!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

cute name.

~Kari~

I haven't even thought about naming it. I am kind of afraid to. I do want it to survive and then take it to a really nice place here, called waterfall. Sure don't want Dana to get it too.

He is just cute as can be, but too little to turn loose, I hear it right now, making a hissing sound, wanting to be fed.

I'll attach a picture of it. In this picture the little girl was still living. I took some more tonight of him, but haven't downloaded them from my camera yet.

Willie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AWW the girl died, I was so hoping she make it. I had my fingers crossed and everything.

Hopefully the little boy will do fine and you can set him free. Waterfall sounds like a nice place to set him free at. Make sure, like I said, you don't turn him into a pet, Dana would have something to say about that.

I know most people think possums are ugly, but those are some cute babies.

Noooo, I sure don't want to turn him into a pet. I try not to handle him to much. My oldest daughter and her husband are the one that told me to take it out and put a bullet in its head. That really hurt my feelings!

Seem like this county is just ignorant about wanting to save any kind of animal, just a lousy deal that nobody wanted to help me!

I am trying though, Lib, I would really be happy to be able to turn it loose where it belongs. I just wonder how much longer I should keep it before I turn it loose. I am afraid to turn it loose too soon.

Willie

Thank you for trying to keep him alive.
    Haven't seen a picture of an opossum for a long and never in real life. So browsed on google for a picture and came up to a informative caresheet for orphaned opssums.
    Maybe it interest you

The National Opossum Society

THat was so nice of you to take care of the babies.
    I wonder if you can check to see if their our any
    possum or wildlife rescue groups in your area
    that will take the babies.

Thank you for the picture.

----<---<--<{(@