Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breed confusion?

Breed confusion?

While reading Amy's thread on gender confusion, I read this post by cocker_luva and though this would be an interesting thread, too.

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    people always think Jesse is a male, probably cuz of her red collar. also people always mistake her for a poodle. silly people!
    I can't imagine thinking Jesse was a poodle!

People usually think Chester is a Jack Russell or a Chihuahua. (He's a Toy Fox Terrier) They always think Millie is a Chihuahua. Now, Millie weighs 21 lbs. That'd be a BIG Chihuahua! (She's a Jack Russell)

What breeds are your dogs mistaken for?

Why miniature collies of course! LOL Or just plain collies. I had a woman argue with me ('cause she knew her dog breeds don't you know....) that Emily was a collie.

Since getting Clipse more people think I have border collies. See they are usually smart enough to tell that Em and Clipse are the same kind of dog, so since Clipse is black and white he must be a border collie therefore Em must be too.

And then recently they got called miniature border collies......

My grandpa once got asked if his pug was a pitbull.....now I know his pug is a fatty but.......LMAO

*Thanks Ashley*

YES! LOL.

When Daisy was younger, she was always, ALWAYS asked if she was a Yellow Labrador. She was extremly light in coloring, and had hardly any coat at all.

Here's a picture of her than..

Since than, her color has darkened [obviously] and she grew a longer coat. She does get "Labrador" from time to time, though.

Lots of people can't tell the difference between huskies and malamutes.

The one that drives me nuts is..."Is he a wolf?" Like I'd be walking a wolf down mainstreet!!! Silly tourists!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    YES! LOL.

When Daisy was younger, she was always, ALWAYS asked if she was a Yellow Labrador. She was extremly light in coloring, and had hardly any coat at all.

She does get "Labrador" from time to time, though.
    Oh, my husband doesn't even understand the difference! I love it when he says Golden Labrador about a Yellow Lab

He also says Wattreiler and Reimaraner! Yeah, I know, but he's kind and he loves my dogs!

We get "Mini Lassie" a lot. Not even Mini Collie, but Mini Lassie! I find that more than half of the time, they stare at me funny once I say "Sheltie".

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Keegan gets mistaken for an Irish Setter.
    And I sheepishly admit that I make the mistake of the "mini Collie" or Lassie Dog also. Altho I don't think I have EVER called them a Mini Lassie!!
    And I have a hard time telling the difference b/n a Jack Russell and a Smooth Fox Terrier.
    And some of the Bully breeds, I have a hard time differentiating from.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

"LAASSSIIIIIIIEEEE!!!!!" is what I get when I walk Miksy.

A lot of people ask me if Sesh is an Australian Shepherd. O_o I tell them he's a Border Collie.. and then they want to know the difference between the two breeds because they look similar so then I have to explain it to them..

I've also been asked if Megan and Monica are Miksy's puppies!
    Last edited by BCBlondie; 07-05-2004 at 11:46 PM.

Elvis is always mistaken as a scottish terrier.

Everyone always asks me if Annie is a chihuahua/dachshund mix, and then I say "No, her mom was a pug, and her dad was a dachshund", and they say "ooh, yeah, i can see that!" or some people say "Are you sure!?"... Lol..

Everyone thinks Bailee is a purebred "weiner dog".. I tell them to look at her face and then they can tell she's not full-blooded.

I get all kinds of things with Felony.... One couple actually asked me if he was a purebred Lab.. I said "How many labs have you seen??"
    I've also heard beagle (yes, even recently), great dane, curr, and I've even had a few people ask me if he has some basset hound in him...

No one really guesses anything with Molly... they just ask what she is.. We aren't sure ourselves, except that I *think* she has some jack russell and some chihuahua in her.
    Last edited by molucass; 09-11-2004 at 09:53 AM.

i like this thread!!! i am glad that i was of some help!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Even in that picture, Daisy looks like a golden to me!

I have fun saying "I think that's a malamute. Look at its curly tail!" Lol most of the time I can tell the difference but not always.

I just *cringe* when people say "Golden Labrador" I'm not sure if they are breed-stupid, or if they are talking about a Golden Retriever, Yellow Labrador Retriever cross.

Most of the time people think Major is a lab. Obviously. I tell them he's a lab cross. (but I don't know what he's crossed with, I'll say, if it looks like they're gonna ask) One person thought he was a Golden Retriever.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Mickey's not a breed.. he's a Lassie.

I usually get "he's a mini collie" or he's a "collie" but more than anything, I get the Lassie. The only time people have actually gotten it right are those people at the dog park. *sigh* I belong there!

I remember when Mickey was a little puppy, we were walking him to my brother's school and the kids kept asking "Is that a cat?" or "Is that a fox?" LOL. It's cute though cause they're kids.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Honestly noone ever thinks my dogs are different breeds than they are. Expecially Huney. It's "oooohhhhh she's a chow" But children often call Roxey Demon (from Snow Dogs ).

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by shais_mom
    Keegan gets mistaken for an Irish Setter.
    Same with Tommy. Or I get asked if he is full golden. (because of his coloring).

With the collies, Willie my tri-color often got confused with a border collie. When I walked them and my friend walked her sheltie with us, people thought they were the Mom, Dad and Baby
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge