Thread: Am I overly paranoid?

Am I overly paranoid?

Last month, both Tenny and Dakky were sick with the flu. So, both had check ups, a course of antibiotics, and a full recovery.

Today, I noticed Dakky crying-which in itself, is not unusual. He whines for food if I am in the kitchen. BUT, no noise came out. I don't mean once or twice, when they sometimes do the silent cry, but, every time. In fact, I encouraged him to do it several times to make sure I wasn't imagining it. On occasion, a raspy cry came out. Other than that, he seemed 'normal'. He was laying in his fave pose- completely spread eagle on his back. And, seemed 'fine' in that he responded to pets, etc.

Should I be concerned? Anyone have this happen?

I don't think you are, you're just being a good meowmie. After Ripley caught Jazz's URI and was deathly sick I got worried everytime he did that sick raspy cry. Maybe Dakky is just not feeling the best today but I think your wise to watch him closely.

From Decker with Love

Hay, WE worry! We are Mommies! I don't know if this is normal or not but I just wanted you to know I would be worried too! Just the Meowmie in me....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Mine do that sometimes from hairballs, at least that is my "theory"! You know, like when we have a clogged up throat? Of course, if there are any kind of symptoms other than just the silent meow ... I know you will head to the vet!!!

Gosh, I feel so bad ... seems like my bad kitty luck has everyone worried!!! Please don't feel ashamed though of worrying ... that's what we do BEST!!!

(((HUGS))) to you and Dakky!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Sometimes I think Chuck looses his voice. He was doing it last night. Meowing with no sound coming out. Not even a little. He did this a lot when he was really young. I wondered if he was deaf because he was so quiet. Now I can't shut him up half the time! LOL Maybe sometime they don't choose to talk. Just fake it.
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

Of course your being overly paranoid!! You live with cats and that is the way they make us!! They do something strange and we freak out and worry ourselves to pieces over it. That's your job as furmom and a mighty fine job you do of it too!!
    I would have said it's probably no big deal but since we just got back with Pepper Jack and he has a horrible sore throat then maybe you should keep a close eye on him. Of course Pepper was really sick acting. I would watch him and if it keeps on then I would get him checked so the vet can laugh at you but we will all feel better!

Definitely not being paranoid. I would be worried too. Do cats lose their voice for the same reasons we do? Maybe a sore throat?
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Paranoid? No such thing if you feel worried. Afterall, I took Emily in for a tumor and brought her home on a diet A vet visit is worth the sense of wellbeing and worth everything if it means finding a real problem! Much of the time our gut feeling can be right. Right now, I think we may all be running on a bit of paranoia because of Pee Wee and Elvis - but better safe than sorry.
    Last time I made fun of running to the vet for every sneeze, I ended up with three kitties with URI's Dylan was VERY ill - and I was in Japan!!

I have only seen a cat open it's mouth with no sound coming out when they were dehydrated or hot. ???? Good luck.
    Joanne Smith - kitty lovah

You paranoid? Nah.....that's me! LOL! I'm sure Dakky is just fine, but being a pet mommy, you have to worry or you wouldn't be normal! We all worry over little things when it comes to our pets. Hugs to you and kisses to Dakky.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 07-01-2004 at 12:42 AM.

Parnoid, NO. I just got done taking Lita in because she started meowing all the time lately. The vet thought I was nuts, but it's what mommys do.... they worry.

Call your vet, ask him if he thinks your being paranoid after everything.

Not overly paranoid!! Just a goood mommie!!
    Give the vet a call and keep us posted!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Do you recall the time I 'diagnosed' Livvy with an obscure tummy rot and RAN her into the vet for what turned out to be a hairball?

Or the time I forced Cassy to endure the series of tests for parasites/whatever when HIS nipples were lactating. (Who KNEW boy cats could lactate? It still sounds weird to me.... )

Maybe we should form a Paranoid Meowmies of Pet Talk club and get t-shirts and all... I sure qualify. (Hairballs can look like some unearthly, deformed, tummy rot thingy. Sometimes...)
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. That would unnerve me as well.

If he's still doing it in the a.m. I would call your vet to see what they say.

Kisses to Dakky!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I worry, all the time, and take the Cats in, and find out that they werent sick, but I would rather be safe, than sorry and Guilty!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS