Thread: Anybody know about turtles?

Anybody know about turtles?

This is one of my turtles, TimTam. I love the little guy, but I can't figure out what kind of turtle he is. Some have said he looks like some kind of river turtle, but nobody seems sure.

Any guesses?

Oooh I know what he is but I can't remember the name! A man on another forum I belong to has one. Let me run over there and see what it is! He is cute!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

OK, not the same turtle but I'll try finding out. Does he have shell rot? It looks like it. You may want to get him into the vet and see if they can treat it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks, luckies!

Shell rot? Why do you think he has that?
    Is it because the top of his shell looks dry? If so, then it's because he had just been in his little "bathtub" in his tank, which doesn't quite cover his whole shell. When I put him in MY bathtub for his weekly swim, his whole shell gets wet, and looks the same as the rest of the shell that you see there.

Otherwise, please tell me why you think he has shell rot.
    I'm worried now!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Originally posted by thelmalu99
    Thanks, luckies!

Shell rot? Why do you think he has that?
    Is it because the top of his shell looks dry? If so, then it's because he had just been in his little "bathtub" in his tank, which doesn't quite cover his whole shell. When I put him in MY bathtub for his weekly swim, his whole shell gets wet, and looks the same as the rest of the shell that you see there.

Otherwise, please tell me why you think he has shell rot.
    I'm worried now!
    Yep that was why, but if it was because he was half wet I wouldn't worry about it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Whew! Thanks for replying so quickly. I was really worried.

Thanks also for bringing something up that you thought might be a problem! I really do appreciate it!

His shell is a little on the dry side, compared to my other turtle. I don't know if that is something I should be concerned about.

My other turtle will eat fruits and veggies, but TimTam refuses. I mash the stuff up and put it in the water when I feed him his pellets, hoping that some will go down while he's eating the pellets. I want to give him more variety, but he makes it very difficult.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Hrmm, have you tried baby food? I know that some torts and turtles will take baby food but not fresh fruit. Do you know of any turtle forums? Have you gone to Kingsnakes.com? I believe they also have a turtle and tortoise forum there too.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

pictures

Hi I owned two turtles... Can we see pics and maybe I can tell what kind it is! Have a good day!
    Also..what kind of food are you feeding him? You can buy food for turtles if you don't have it just check out your local pet store!

THANKS SO MUCH BUTTERCUP!

You can see more of him than we - check out the galleries of images here:

http://www.chelonia.org/cuoragallery.htm and see if anyone matches!

I think i know

I think he is a wood turtle. He looks exactly like one but I'm not positive. I believe so 99.9%.

THANKS SO MUCH BUTTERCUP!