Thread: Got this in my email this morning...

Got this in my email this morning...

You would at least think they would get their spelling right. Funny, as I don't even have an ebay account.

Dear eBay member,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.
    The login attempt was made from:
    IP address: 172.25.210.66
    ISP Host: cache-66.proxy.aol.com
    By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site. However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity. Thus, we have established an offline verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with. The system is called ebay PowerSafe and it's the most secure eBay wallet so far.

If you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below, fill the form and then submit as we will verify your identity and register you to ebay PowerSafe.

If the button doesn´t appear please click on the link bellow:

http://www.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...gistrationShow

To make eBay.com the most secure site to place or bid on your auctions,every user will be registered to PowerSafe.
    If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
    SafeHarbor Department
    eBay Inc.

Re: Got this in my email this morning...

Originally posted by luckies4me
    You would at least think they would get their spelling right. Funny, as I don't even have an ebay account.

Dear eBay member,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.
    The login attempt was made from:
    IP address: 172.25.210.66
    ISP Host: cache-66.proxy.aol.com
    By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site. However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity. Thus, we have established an offline verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with. The system is called ebay PowerSafe and it's the most secure eBay wallet so far.

If you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below, fill the form and then submit as we will verify your identity and register you to ebay PowerSafe.

If the button doesn´t appear please click on the link bellow:

http://www.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...gistrationShow

To make eBay.com the most secure site to place or bid on your auctions,every user will be registered to PowerSafe.
    If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
    SafeHarbor Department
    eBay Inc.
    I would guess that it's spam mail and clicking the link will give you a virus or worm (or worse, access to your eBay account if you have one). I've received similar e-mails to that one a couple of times.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I am sure it's a scam, I had one of those quite a while ago, and also one supposedly from my Paypal account. Even though you don't have an ebay account, you should report it to ebay, so they are aware of it.

Yep, I know it's Spam, but you would at least think they would check their spelling? hehe I never thought of reporting it. I should do that. Never thought that clicking the link would lead me to a virus either, as I was sooo close to clicking the link. Just the curious cat in me I guess.

I DO have eBay accounts and get these things pretty often - always send them to the abuse reporting. They are attempts to get credit card info. eBay does not EVER request information.
    It's funny that you get one and do not even have an account - but have you browsed the site? If so, lots of spybots have your ISP. In fact, just logging on anywhere gives your ISP out - even here at PT. Not a bad thing - just as long as you know not to reply to things. Go to the site (eBay in this case, NOT the link sent to you!) in question. Use spyware, adware, etc.

I received (and reported) something similiar for Paypal recently. They confirmed it was NOT sent by the Paypal company.

Be careful!

Yes I've had the Pay Pal one too!

Just 'be careful out there' !

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Ditto, I just forward them to Ebay

I have neither a Paypal or an eBay account, and I get tons of emails "from" both. It's a virus spam/scheme to get your information. Delete them, do not give in.

It is a good idea to report them though. As a rather active Ebay seller and PayPal user, I get this junk all the time. Spybots grab the IP and then attempt to gather information from you. Sometimes, they try to get you to put in your credt info as a "confermation" of your ebay account...what BS! PayPal and Ebay both call you if anything is amis, they NEVER send emails requesting info unless you emailed them first especially in a suspected case of fraud. Ebay is actually happy when they get reports like this. It helps them keep the site safer for people to use although unfortuneatly this proves that nothing is totally fool-proof