Thread: never had a boy kitty before, need advice

never had a boy kitty before, need advice

Hello everyone!

My husband and I took two of my mom's kitties home with us this weekend--a very fuzzy black one and another tortie--thinking they were both girls. We even checked! But not good enough--the very fuzzy one is a boy. We've never had a boy before, and I'm nervous about spraying. We plan to have him neutered as soon as we can, and we won't give him away since we're already really attached, but I don't want my house to smell like kitty pee.

Who out there has boy kitties? I'd like to know if they have problems with spraying. I've also read that if you get them neutered, that if they spray, it doesn't have the strong kitty pee scent. Is that true? And if I neuter him early enough, will he spray at all? Also, I have two older torties (five years old), and he has a sister, so he'll be the lone boy of the group. Has anyone else had this situation? I don't want him to be left out by himself! I need some encouragement here!

I've always had male cats, and, have never had a problem with spraying. I don't know that neutering will change the smell of the urine or not, but, it usually will keep them from spraying. I don't know if it stops them from spraying if they're already in the habit of doing so. As far as I know, spraying is a territorial thing, and, I'd guess a male would be less territorial with just girls around. But, I could be way off on that guess. But, I think it really depends on the individual cat. I've never had cats spray or pee anywhere in the house other than the litter box. The most I've ever had at once was six. Boys and girls mixed. But, I'd just get him neutered as quickly as possible.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Right now we have 3 male cats, and none of them spray in the house.

We did have one in the past that sprayed inside - he was neutered. We pretty much stopped it by using Feliway.

Good Luck!!

First off, congrats on the new additions!

I've always had male cats and I've never had a problem with spraying. They've all been neutered, tho, and I know that makes a difference. The 3 new males (the kittens) will be neutered as soon as they're old enough. So I wouldn't be too awfully concerned about it, just get everyone fixed ASAP.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Get him fixed and he wont likely spray unless something bothers him about his home...like a new baby or something like that. Not that new additions (human or animal) make them spray, that's just the most common reason for sudden spraying.

Boy cats are really cuddly and laid back...at least that's how it is with my eight. (4 males 4 females) The boys are really mommy's boys.

Congrats on the new kitties! Do they have names yet?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Congrats on the new kitties.

Of my three cats Ripley is the only male. He's 12 years old and never had any spraying issues until last year. Scout had only been here a couple of months and was already dominating him and then the final straw came when we repainted and put down new carpet. The very next day I saw him back up the the newly painted wall and spray. Guess he didn't care for my choice of paint. I think the stress of a new bossy cat and changes in the house were more than he could take.

Now he makes me a nervous whenever he goes into a room unsupervised. Hubby has declared no more males but we will see.

From Decker with Love

I have 2 males and have never had a problem with spraying. And I also find my males to be more laid back....cool cats
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I feel much better. My mom had a male that didn't get spayed soon enough and all I remember about him was that he sprayed everything, even after being fixed. I plan on fixing him as soon as I can. He was found in the woods--people dump mommas and kittens off at my mom's all the time --so we're not sure how old he is, but he and his sister are both eating solid food so I'm guessing eight weeks, but I want to wait a couple more before taking them to the vet just to make sure, and I'll get him fixed when the vet says I can. I'll probably wait to get his sister fixed until six months or so, since that should still be before her first heat.

No names for the tortie yet. I want Gracie because she's the most ungraceful kitty ever, but hubby doesn't like that name too much. We've named the black one Cujo. It seems to fit him somehow.

Thanks again for your replies. It's good to know that we shouldn't have any problems with our new baby!

thanks for taking in some new babies........Don't worry, I think everything will be a-ok! I have 2 boy kitties and have never had a single problem with spraying (knock on wood). I had them neutered when they were between 5 and six months old - they never sprayed before and they've never sprayed after. As a first time cat owner, I was very pleasantly surprised at how there has never been an accident after coming home at four months of age.

Keep us updated!
    Last edited by CatMama78; 05-26-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

There are 7 Male Cats here, and no real problem , with spraying , if you have him neutered , say by six months , and he will stay a Kitten , in mind , all his life!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Also have a male cat, Tigger, he's never sprayed.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

We have two male kitties - both were fixed right at the six month mark, and never had a problem with spraying. Hubby DID NOT want a male cat because he's only heard that male cats spray, but now he's a convert and would never again have a female cat! They are typically much more laid back and loving.

Good luck with the new babies! Of course, we would like to see pictures as soon as possible!

I think you are all set by having a girl and a boy cat.

Spraying will not be a thing the boy is likely to try since he's only got his sibling with him.

And he can be neutered at an earier age. 3.5 months.

It is not as hard on the little boys as the little girls, do have her spayed before 6 months, for health reasons.

I have a male cat that was neutered at the humane society before I adopted him at 10 weeks old. He has never sprayed a thing in his life, even in the most stressful of situations he's been in (which I have to admit is almost none). Hopefully you will have the same luck!