Thread: Coat variations (length, color, type)

Coat variations (length, color, type)

For some reason I find it interesting to see purebred dogs with unusual coat variations. Most people know about rough collies vs smooth collies (which is an acceptable and normal variation) but other breeds can have the occasional odd coat...like normal med length siberian huskies and the wooly siberian huskies. I'm not advocating that these different coats be bred (I know it's a hindrence to huskies for sure!) I just find it amusing to look at pics.

I found a few interesting links, I'd like to see if you guys can find some too.

A long-coated corgi
    http://www.corgirescue.org/Fluffy.html
    Here's a long-coated mastiff
    http://www.fluffymastiff.com/Maxapricot.html
    Long and wire-coated rottweilers...check out page 2
    http://community-2.webtv.net/frontie...t/coatedrotts/
    Interesting colors/patterns on dalmatians and also pics of long-coated dalmatians
    http://www.geocities.com/~paisleydals/color.html

I tried to find a pic of a long coated weim but couldnt find one...I know I've seen pics of those before. I'll try to find some more links later.

Stunning dogs The Rottie on the second page was very unusual.

I will be back with a longhaired Weimeraner and also a rough coated Viszla.

Ok here you go.

longhaired weimeraner

wire haired viszla
    I am still looking for more.

Putting this in all though i am not a believer. I have spoken to people who have bred Labs for more than 20 years.

silver/ blue labs
    Last edited by cloverfdx; 05-11-2004 at 08:13 AM.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Those links are very intresting! especially I loved that dalmation's page! it was really intresting! And that corgi (lonhaired) really looked as corgi/sheltie mix for me ooh and that wire haired vizsla looks like brown spinone italiano Anyway, thanx for sharing those links

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Wow! The Rottie on the second page was so pretty and unique.

I can't think of any unusual coat/color types I've come across but I had to comment on the Weim. I got the chance to see one (a long coat) earlier on this year in an agility demo. He was stunning!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Wow, I didn't know there were so many dogs with different hair. They all look totally amazing (expecially the rotties).

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Wow, those are really cool! I especially love all the different dalamations!

I got to meet a silver Lab in person, omg, they are 100X prettier in person that in pictures! I just about died when I was watching him swimming and playing- too gorgeous for words!!!! I wish I had my camera with me!!

Let see what I can find...
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

After having been a groomer for several years, I've seen a lot of coat variations on breeds. I've always had a soft spot for Fluffies (the long haired corgis) since i have a soft spot for the breed anyway.

I think the long-haired mastif is a type of mastif called a Tibetan Mastif. I've groomed a couple of them. HUGE mastifs, usually a tan/brown with black markings, and long hair. They kinda look like a Tibetan Spaniel enlarged BIG TIME! Great dogs tho. The one giant I did on a regular basis I totally fell in love with.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

silver labs and such

there are over 701 dog breeds in the world and thousands of variations. Sometimes people breed dogs, such as silver labs to make money. A silver lab i a rare breed they tell people who want an unusual dog. Really it is either a purebred lab with a default or a mix of lab and something else that they can pass of as purebred. AKC doesnt check these things when handing out registration papers. As for long and short coated varieties of breeds, almost every breed has both varieties or more. Its just that the akc doesnt register all varieties.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Silver labs come from chocolate labs- they are "diluted" chocolates- it's all genetic. I have seen some silver labs where you could plainly see some chocolate in their coat- they are not always pure silver. There is a guy who goes to the Ducks Unlimted festival in Oskosh every year with his silvers- his are the ones where you can see chocolate in their coats.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I know someone with a longhaired brindle Mastiff. (purebred Mastiff (she got him from a Mastiff breeder).. not Tibetan Mastiff.. he's not as fluffy and he actually looks like a Mastiff)

I've seen a long-haired Rottie twice. (think it was the same dog) Pretty dog

I've also seen a Pit/Sheltie Imagine a sable and white medium-haired Sheltie with a HUUUGGE head O_O

There are also long-haired whippets!
    http://home.ica.net/~westwood/

I think longhaired whippet looks much prettier that shorthaired
    That's my opinion

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Originally posted by EssTer
    I think longhaired whippet looks much prettier that shorthaired
    That's my opinion
    mine also!!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~