Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats perching

Cats perching

Here's a question I'd like to pose to you all...

What is the narrowest thing or the strangest thing you've ever seen your cat perch on?

My cat Saima can perch on one of the arms of a wood director's chair in my home. The arm can't be more than two inches wide! And her weight doesn't tip the chair over! My jaw dropped when I first saw her perch there. I have to admit that she didn't stay there very long, but while she was there, she looked like she felt perfectly comfortable! Amazing animal feat...

------------------
    ]Margaret

I didn't actually see it, but many years ago my mom took our siamese Samantha to be spayed. While at the vets she freaked out, shot out of my mom's arms, tore through the clinic, and ended up perched on the top of the door frame - you know, that 1/4 inch wide strip of molding! That's all that was holding her up!

WHOA!

------------------
    ]Margaret

Doors must be fashionable. This wasn't the actual door frame - my "nearly adopted abandonded cat" Pani has lept from standstill up onto the top of an open door. He just sat there and watched the goings-on while the door wobbled a little - but he kept his balance somehow. I was fascinated, it's easy to forget just how agile our pets can be if the need or really want to be!

...oh, and he is a 8Kg! (thats 17lb for the metricapped )

Yes, Spencer, I know exactly what you mean! Left legs stretched out to reach the crossbar, right legs all crouched down to walk along the spikey boards! Why do they do that, silly things!

I think I have shared this story before on another forum. This not necessarily the narrowest thing my cat has perched on, but it sure was different.

Innocently I gave my very first cat a bath.
    I had no idea he would hate it. He was so good but in a flash he was "perched" on top of my head. Not a scratch on me - but I was shaking taking him off my head dripping wet.
    Later I howled with laughter at myself. What a sight for sore eyes.

Why I have a shopping cart in my apartment, that's a whole other story. But I do. Zezu loves it. You know, the metal wire ones. He stands on the edges of that thing with such balance. His little toes stay wrapped around the wire and he walks around. He always sleeps in the bin that opens up. I put a soft blanket in there for him. Anytime I don't know where he is, I can bet he'll be in the bin of the cart.

One time we found him in the upper shelves of our closet. He pulled himself up on our clothes, walked along the hangers and clothes and jumped up. took us awhile to find him too. He was probably up there laughing at us.

Originally posted by Troy:

...oh, and he is a 8Kg! (thats 17lb for the metricapped )
    Metricapped? That's too funny, Troy!
    I am embarrassed to admit that I am metricapped, even though I went to high school in Brazil.(I guess by then it was too late for me to get the Metric system through my thick skull!)
    I'll be sure to use that expression from now on!

"aaaaaaaah,"(wave hand down as saying)

metric system, what a big joke.

I like inches and feet myself. I'll never change over to it.

Ben E Gas,

The big joke is a method of measurement that doesn't use a common base! Perhaps the US should get out of the dark ages and try and catch up!

(dont' take me too seriously)

Yes, Troy, people mistakenly believe that the system is as complicated as the conversion - which actually is not complicated, either, just not easy to remember off the top of your head.

What's really funny is most people don't even realize our money is "metric", yet no one finds that to be complicated!

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited April 06, 2001).]

4 Feline House,

I can certainly sympathise with the generation that has to go through with the change but it is to the benefit of future generations.

It's just a matter of what we are all used to... (unless you're a programmer in which case metrics make things a lot easier)

I don't have any use for it. I think it's the other countries that are in the dark ages anyway. The metric system doesn't all of a sudden bring you up to speed. Anyhows, the US will never give in to that 'bright' idea. Not in our lifetimes anyway.

I remember when I was in grade school they tried to introduce the metric system, but I guess they gave up. I guess if we're the only country that does not use it, we're probably the ones who need to catch up.
    Case in point: most Americans do not appreciate soccer and the rest of the world is obsessed. What are we thinking??

Thelmalu99 - my guess would be that we are thinking - WE HAVE FOOTBALL - WHAT ELSE COULD YOU WANT!!!! (hear a few Tim Allen grunts).

------------------