Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daisy: Added To "SICK" List

Daisy: Added To "SICK" List

Well,

Daisy is also added to the ill list along with Oscar and Chloe. Daisy lost an incredible amount of weight in the past two days, her hair is raised, she staggers when she walks- tripping herself- she can't keep her balance, she can't hold her food to eat, she can barely walk, she looks like $%@&- plain and simple. She's still drinking and eating (it's just harder for her), I also saw her giving herself a face bath after she ate. I called the vet, she has an appointment at 9:30, I really hope it's with Dr. Fellenz!

Oscar has still never recovered since his first visit to the vet, he is still skinny and still has rather shallow breathing- other than that he is normal. Chloe has a mammary tumor in her armpit.

Daisy has gotten so sick so fast I have had to time to react. One day she was just fine and the next day it looked like she was getting ready to go to the bridge.

I tell ya, I am so sick and tired of dealing with sick rats, they are sick CONSTANTLY! Fred, Phoebe and Suzie are the only rats I have owned who have NEVER gotten sick before *bangs on every wooden object on Earth". Oreo, Skittles, Nugget, Sweet Pea, Punkin, Peanut, Chloe, Daisy, Oscar, and Violette- have all been sick one or more times. It's insane. I can't deal with it anymore. The prices vets are asking for such a little short lived creature is even more insane- $650 to remove a tumor on a 1/2 pound animal. I mean, $150-$250 would be a little more understandable but $650!!!!

Sorry this turned into a wee-rant, it's just to frustrating when my rats get sick. My babies are sick so much, it's so hard to enjoy the joy of rat ownership when you are constantly at the vets office paying insane bills for these little guys.

Please wish Daisy a fast recovery and good visit at the vet- hopefully the illness is something treatable. I'm so worried.

LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Poor Daisy. Hopefully she'll be just fine. Keep us updated! I'm sorry your ratties get sick so much.

Daisy seemed OK when I was there! Oh no! Poor baby. I will definitely pray for Daisy, Oscar and Chloe. I'm so sorry, Laura.
    It's not fair!!!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Well, the vet appointment went well. Daisy has head tilt extremely bad, she can barely hold her head up, she practically drags it on the ground when she walks. The vet checked her over real good and said it is most likely an inner ear infection. She injected her with antibiotics to give her a kick start, she is badly dehydrated too. She has to take .50 liquid baytril once a day.

I did not get Dr. Fellenz this time, I got Dr. Anderson- who I HATE with all my heart- the lady does nothing as far as care goes. She takes about two seconds to look over the rat and say "Oh it's this...". Dr. Fellenz took 45 minutes to really look over Oscar and Violette and talk to us about multiple different things. He really cares about his patients, Dr. Anderson doesn't. Also, Dr. Anderson gave us this really disgusting smelly baytril- it makes ME want to gag. Dr. Fellenz gives us cherry flavored baytril so it is easier on the rats to take.

We are going to be making an appointment for Chloe sometime soon to get her tumor looked at and most likely have surgery to get it removed. This time I will make sure the appointment is with Dr. Fellenz!

Hopefully Daisy will get better, Dr. Anderson said if she doesn't get better it means she has some kind of brain issue- like a tumor. Let's hope it's not that!

Kate, I know, she was just fine when you were over. She got really ill looking on Sunday- she looked near death- that's why it frightened me so bad that she got so ill so fast.

Well, I am happy to know that at least 2 pet talk members care about Daisy.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Hopefully Daisy will get better, Dr. Anderson said if she doesn't get better it means she has some kind of brain issue- like a tumor. Let's hope it's not that!
    http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_e...yrinthitis.php

Please read the above link for information on this. You may also want to check out their neurological information as well just in case. Most likely her ear infection is due to Myco. Has she had any outbreaks before? I am sorry to hear she is not doing well. I am surprised they did not put her on any anti-inflammatories.

((((Daisy))))
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I do not think it is MYCO. She has never had an outbreak before, this is the first time she has ever had to go to the vet.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I do not think it is MYCO. She has never had an outbreak before, this is the first time she has ever had to go to the vet.
    It could still very well be Myco. Not all rats show symptoms all the time, and some do. Bandit and Wrinkles have constant flareups, however some rats never experience problems until they become stressed. Since almost every pet rat carries it, it could have been something very minor that triggered it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

UPDATE

Well, she is progressing a little bit- she held a gerber treat in her hands and didn't loose her balance like she did before. Now, I just hope she keeps progressing in the right direction quickly.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Oh I am so glad to hear there is some kind of improvement, you are having a rough time of it with your ratties, it is very stressful for you,I really sincerely hope Daisy recovers well, thinking of her and you and all your ratties, and wishing them speedy recovery's and continued good health.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm glad to hear that Daisy is starting to respond to the meds already. Poor little baby.
    I know what you mean about uncaring vets - I often wonder why certain vets I've met ever went into the field in the first place as they don't work well with animals or people! Definitely make sure you get Dr. Fellenz for the eval of Chloe's tumor!
    Maybe you could mix the baytril with a liquidy treat to make it easier to take? Some yogurt or something? You might want to ask Dr. Fellenz about this first because mixing it might have some effect on it's properties. I have no clue. Just a possibility.
    Daisy, Oscar and Chloe will continue to be in my prayers!!!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Originally posted by Kater

Maybe you could mix the baytril with a liquidy treat to make it easier to take? Some yogurt or something? You might want to ask Dr. Fellenz about this first because mixing it might have some effect on it's properties.
    It usually comes pre mixed in syrup so it's easier for a rat to take as Baytril has a horrible taste to it and comes in an alcohol base. Most people mix it with some baby ceral, or inject a little amount into some yogurt or bread.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I hope she will continue to improve YLL. I'm sorry I didn't post a response earlier, but I had no medical advice to add, but it doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of Daisy.

I hope Daisy continues to get better.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I hope Daisy gets better soon, I am sorry to hear you have had so much bad luck with those sweet little ratties. Sometimes it just seems like it never stops, when it rain, it pours..

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

aww

i'm so sorry your pets are sick and i truly hope they get better SOON