Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lovely 1980's

The lovely 1980's

We're throwing a 1980's party on May 29th. I would love to start a flashback thread to help me out.....

Thank you Wolfie!

*Blondie
    *Starship
    *leg warmers
    *Izod shirts with the collar up

Thank you Wolfie!

Duran Duran
    Miami Vice
    Tiffany
    Rick Astley
    Nick Kershaw
    Kajagoogoo
    WHAM
    Boy George / Culture Club
    BIG Earrings
    BIG Hair
    Too much blush
    Purple false nails
    colour combinations like Purple & Yelloe; Cerise Pink and Yellow
    Tight leggings and HUGE pull-overs

OMG I'm blushing just thinging about it!!!!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

And Madonna came out in the 80's. I've got one of her first cds with all the hits and they seque into each other. It's still one of my favorite cds. If you would like, I can burn you a copy and mail it or at least tell you the name so you could get it. And weren't Depeche Mode the 80's? They were one of my favorite groups. Also, Information Society. Got that cd too. I'll have to go through them to suggest more. For the hair. lots of hairspray! I remember that I had my hair sprayed so much that I could lift one hair and it would all come up as one piece. Oh, and video/pinball games. I spent a lot of my free time in the game room. Had a blast.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    And Madonna came out in the 80's. I've got one of her first cds with all the hits and they seque into each other. It's still one of my favorite cds. If you would like, I can burn you a copy and mail it or at least tell you the name so you could get it. And weren't Depeche Mode the 80's? They were one of my favorite groups. Also, Information Society. Got that cd too. I'll have to go through them to suggest more. For the hair. lots of hairspray! I remember that I had my hair sprayed so much that I could lift one hair and it would all come up as one piece. Oh, and video/pinball games. I spent a lot of my free time in the game room. Had a blast.
    Oh, yes, the hair spray!! How well I remember the hair spray days. I remember one time I was out with a bunch of girl friends at a bar, and she accidentally was pushed into me and she hit my heavily hair-sprayed head. She kept trying to tell me that she cut her lip on my hair!! lol

Have you ever seen "I Love the 80's" on vh1? It's really great for a flashback on all the stuff that went on during the 80's. I'm sure if you checked out their webpage, they'd have some info on it. Sounds like a fun idea for a party.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

BIG hair - later in the '80s, long spiral perms, too. Egads - not me, thankfully (nm,t), but everyone around me ...
    Awful cowl neck sweaters ... (nm,t)
    Preppy became really "in" for a while ...
    "Sun in" hair stuff ... (nm,t)
    Tanning was trés fashionable ... (nm,t)
    Eeeew - stretchy fabrics printed to look like denim - so one could have skin-tight "jeans" (nm,t)
    Velour (nm,t)
    Rhinestones (nm,t)
    "Dallas" was big (nm,t)

80's - loved the 80's. When we eventually have a house warming party, the theme is going to be 80's (Miss Meow, you have been warned!!!)

Spandau Ballet
    Talk Talk
    Thompson Twins
    Bangles
    Pet Shop Boys
    A-Ha
    I have so many songs from the 80's. Want me to send you a list to help you along???

Bubble skirts!!!
    Plastic bangles (oh hang on, arent they coming back!!?)
    Those awful rouched dresses
    Stonewash jeans (that were so tight, you had to LIE DOWN to zip them up!)

Movies
    St Elmo's Fire
    Top Gun
    Girls Just want to have fun

Oooooooo - gonna have to go and play some music now!!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Originally posted by captain

Those awful rouched dresses
    You mean the ones that were sort of scrunched up in the middle, like tube top fabric? I remember dresses having an awful lot of ruffles and HUGE bows back then too. I have a picture of my sister's wedding from 1988 that just SCREAMS 1980's - giant bows, metallic fabric, and tall, scary, laquered hair on most of us!

I remember swooning over Tom Selleck in "Magnum, P.I" - never missed an episode! "Cheers", too. Wasn't "The Facts Of Life" from the 80's too? I watched that one religiously (hee hee)

That HORRIBLE movie The Breakfast Club, and Molly Ringwald in EVERY movie in the 80's (LOL)

Ghostbusters!

Purple Rain - I'm embarrassed to say I LOVED that movie back in the 80's

Adam Ant
    The Go-Go's
    Wang Chung
    Stray Cats
    Bow Wow Wow ("I want candy!")
    Madness ("our house - in the middle of our street")
    Cindy Lauper
    Prince and all his various cheesy girl groups (Apollonia, Vanity 6)

That whole "We Are The World" thing, when Michael Jackson was still worth listening to -

I'm with captain - gotta go listen to my 80's CD's!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

I found this on the web ..........

http://www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html

It is a worry that I can answer most of them!!!!

Have Fun
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I remember side ponytails.....spandex shorts under skirts..... leg warmers..... checkered Vans.....mullets..... Cindy Lauper.... jeri curls..... and, I don't know if anyone else called it "pegging" your jeans, but, where you would pinch the leg of the jeans together at the bottom, fold it over, and, then roll it up a couple of times.... with two or three pairs of colored socks, and, Keds. Ugh. Were hypercolor shirts 80s or 90s? Umm....also, Growing Pains...The Cosby Show (I think those were the 80s)...Van Halen...the Coreys (Haim and Feldman...The Goonies....Risky Business.....The Bangles...Bananarama....The Karate Kid....the Flock of Seagulls haircuts....Metallica.....

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by captain
    I found this on the web ..........

http://www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html

It is a worry that I can answer most of them!!!!

Have Fun

Yeah, no kidding ... a big worry.

I got a 176 on that ... "80's are my life." Yikes.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Hey, I scored 113....scarey stuff!!!! Now all I need to do is get all these really bad '80's lyrics out of my head!!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

My Personal Favorite:

"The I Hate Preppy Handbook"
    Used Daily when living in Connecticut!!!

Shoulder Pads....Thanks Dynasty!!!!

Music:
    Modern English
    The Damned
    Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
    Mick Jagger "Primitive Cool"
    Guns n Roses "Appetite for Destruction"
    Midnight Oil
    REM
    Lou Reed (Comeback)
    The Smithereens
    Dire Straits
    Squeeze
    The Pretenders
    Natalie Merchant & Her band (memory fading)

Will think of more....I am Sure!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids