Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Found Baby Bird

Emergency Found Baby Bird

Ok, guys. Help. I'm looking right now for animal rehabilitators and I've put the baby in a shoebox lined with a towel and it's in a dark quiet place. It's about an inch and a half long, with no feathers. It's completely transparent. Is there even a chance for it to live? Finn found it outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

call your vet they have the NUmbers to wild animal raisers.

Ok, first, a wildlife place (hotline) told me to take it back out and leave it in the bush I found it below, even though there's no nest there, away from predators and off the ground and wait to see if the mama bird comes back to feed it and/or take it back to the nest. But, I just found a lady in Plano that I can take the baby to. But, I can't take it until 3:30, and, I was worried about it starving before then. What, if anything, have you all heard about this kind of thing before? I'm wary about leaving it outside though.
    Last edited by guster girl; 04-17-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

well, I'm keeping the baby warm until I can get it to the rehabilitator in Plano. If you guys want, I'll keep you posted on it's progress, if any. I'm just really hoping I did the right thing and that it's chances of survival are better than what I'm expecting.

Thanks, Dogz!

I have no idea. Do you know what kind of bird it is? I know they sell hand feeding equipment and baby formula for pet birds at pet stores. Depending on what species this bird is, it might *possibly* need the same foods? I know many wild birds eat seeds, etc. as pet birds do. Do you have any idea what kind of bird it is, or it it impossible to tell? I believe these chicks need to be fed very often. Good luck. Poor baby bird.

Try asking on this board..........someone may have a better answer. You don't need to *sign up* to post there.

http://www.birdsnways.com/chats/ttindex.htm

Hey, popcornbird, thanks for the link. I posted a message there. I have to get ready for work now, but, I'll check there and here between getting to work and taking the infant to the rehabilitator. Aww....right now, the baby is cheeping! I have no idea what kind of bird it is, though. It's pink and transparent, no feathers, eyes closed...etc. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Dogz!

If its cheeping, I believe that means its hungry. Poor thing. Hope you can figure out something soon.

here's what the baby looks like.

It's on top of my computer for warmth, and, I keep a part of the towel inside the shoebox over the container that the baby is in, so, that the light doesn't bother it. It's so tiny.

Thanks, Dogz!

Originally posted by popcornbird
    If its cheeping, I believe that means its hungry. Poor thing. Hope you can figure out something soon.
    Yeah, I know, I hope that it makes it to the rehabilitator.

Thanks, Dogz!

Put a little dish of water in there - dehydration is more likely than starvation ...

they told me not to give him water, because it would more than likely drown him (something about the lung opening being right below the throat?). All four of the places I've called said not to try to give him water, but, I'll call them again.

Thanks, Dogz!

Yeah, I just called Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center and she said "no, no, no...who told you that? never give a baby bird water." I don't know, not to impune what you said, Karen, because I don't know how much bird rehabilitation you've done, but, I am going with what the people there are saying. Again, don't be offended! Just doing what I think is the best thing.

Thanks, Dogz!

I was told not to try to force feed him water with an eye-dropper or anything, just to put a little dish of water in there with him - back when we found a baby bird, years ago.

That's all I meant.

That's what I figured you meant. But, they've all said not even to do that....No biggie! I'll let you know how he does, and, if he makes it to the rehabilitator.

Thanks, Dogz!

Any updates on the bird? Someone responded to your post on the birdsnways board.