Thread: Dirtnap at Vet's - Arthritis?

Dirtnap at Vet's - Arthritis?

My newly adopted 10 year old Eskimo Spitz had to be rushed to the Vet's yesterday. He had some kind of episode of extreme pain. He snapped at me anytime I even tried to touch him! I could tell he had been crying. He was hunched over and was just extremely sensitive. I started crying with him!!!
    He has cataracts and nerve deafness which already make it difficult to touch him because he flinches each time you reach for him. The vet told me he has Arthritis in his back which is why he stays "hunched" over. It also makes it terribly painful for me to try to rub his belly.
    The way he reacted to me at one point during his episode it was if he did not recognize me. I started to wonder if dogs can get alzheimers? This worries me since I have only had him 2 months.
    However, in those 2 months he has just improved soo much!!! He was doing so well! He now can walk upstairs, hear better, and more playful. Maybe he has gone through too many changes too fast? I am even now able to give him "doggy Hugs"!!!
    Anyway, I believe Dirtnap is having Arthritic problems. I give him Asprin and gluacostimine and Brewer's yeast tablets almost everyday. Does anyone else know something good to treat his arthritis? He barely lets me touch his back area and I know it hurts. I would like to start doing massage therapy soon. I just pray that the Vet can help get him at a point where he is less stiff and can handle massaging.
    I am just worried about my baby boy Dirtnap and needed some support so I won't cry. It has been 1 day without him and it is sad.

Arthritis

I understand that YUCCA is a natural herb that helps arthritis in dogs.

Dirtnap is better!

Thanks. I've had him on some Glaucostimine and it has helped. I am to give him asprin daily. I still don't know what happened that one day. The vet gave him a shot and he acted much better since. Now he's got diarhea. Not good on a long haired white dog to be sure! Thanks!

You might want to feed him dog food for seniors that has glucosomine in it also.

And be sure the aspirin is buffered. Don't use Tylenol.
    I think they make an aspirin for dogs that won't cause side effects.

Mary

Besides the glucosamine I give Carina, I also add a teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil to her food to lubricate her joints. You can get it at any health food store and it's not expensive, about $7.00 a bottle around here.
    I hope Dirtnap gets better soon.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

My dog max was badly injured by a car when he was younger.. i had to give him a pill of something to prevent arthritis on his other leg(since one had to be removed) They said it was possible that when he got older he could possibly suffer from arthritis. What do you guys think is most likely to happen? Do you think he will be ok? He kind of walks weird on his only leg in the front too. If he did get arthritis what do you think they could do for him? I've been so worried about this for years.

Dirtnap is better

Thanks for the flax oil suggestion. Someone else mentioned it as well.
    As for the injured dog who may develop arthritis, I would suggest massage and lot's of exercise. The glucaustimine tablets work good. My dog likes the Hip and Joint tablets in a bag. He doesn't take to other types. His teeth are bad and he can not chew them. I can't grind them up and put them in his food because of the 2 other dogs eat there too.
    My dog Scooby had a stroke and was paralyzed on the right side. He has recovered mostly but still has no feeling in his right paw. I hope it does not have to be amputated. The vet said he had a good chance of complete recovery.
    I have started an arthritis preventative routine on him as well. I massage and keep his joints moving. Dirtnap is still in the process of allowing me to touch him. His cataracts affect the way he sees shapes and it scares him. He is getting better and understands I am there to love him.
    I hope your doggy is doing well. I've got 3 handicapped dogs and they are spoiled rotten!!!

Only today I am reading your thread, because I think my dog Rex (GSD 3y) has something wrong with his hinder legs: after he sleeps or lays down longer time, he limps with the leg that was under his body (right or left) and i am searching how to know if he has pain, then i found your posts and:

just want to congratulate you for adopting handcaped dogs!!! that is one of the greatest things I came to know! What a generous heart you have!

God bless you and your babies.

Rosana
    and
    Rex

Thanks for having God bless my dogs!!! I think it God blessing me with them!!! They all have their "issues" but are amazing. I did not even mention my Cat that I was told may never walk or jump correctly again. She had an accident and was missing for 4 days! We found her in the gutter under the street. She had a broken hip and other injuries. The vet's told me that it would heal on it's own but she would walk funny.
    Well she now beats up the dogs!!! Thank god I had her declawed or the dogs would be bleeding everywhere! It is a real mad house! All my animals give me laughs and hope even when they struggle every now and then. I wouldn't have it any other way!
    As for your dog Rex. Does GSD stand for German Shepard? German shepards are known for hip problems. It is in how they were bred. The Eastern German shepard has more pronounced hip problems. It is NOT unusual for them to develop arthritis by the age of 5. Ask your vet therapies that may be possible. Aspirin therapy and good exercise may be a good thing to develop.
    Poor Dirtnap is getting more exercise now that he is with me however, he has a hard time with stairs. He can't see well and he keeps falling down the stairs! It aggrevates his arthritis. I want him to go up and down the stairs but it kills me to see him fall down them! He won't let me catch him!

And cats too?!? Double blesses!

Yes, he is a German Shepherd Dog, my little wolf.

All your babies are on my prayers, and you too for being such a wonderful mother for them.

What brave doggies and wonderful, devoted moms My Cody, a Husky/Shep, was diagnosed with hio dysplasia at age 2. Since then she has been on Glycoflex, a glucosaimine/chondrotin forumula available through your vet. She is also on a Flax oil supplement and an herbal powder supplement, "Animal Essentials," added to her food. On occasion, she will get a coated aspirin to ease the pain and of course, lots of nightly doggis sassages. She does limp on her one hind leg after excessive exertion (running, long walks) but is doing quite well, all things considered. The vet also recommends short swimming sessions. That type of exercise helps to keep the joints loose and mobile without excessive strain.

What an angel you are Scooby to have given such a deserving senior citizen like Dirtnap and all your rescues, a chance at happiness. I hope the vet can come up some additional suggestions to ease his discomfort. Poor pupper must be so frightened and confused with all of his ailments, but blessedly, he has you

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

dirtnap at vet

Did you vet offer medication for the arthritis, Tawny's been on a product called Medicam,(3 years) she had a wellness test done first and then we tried for 10 days on and 10 off, the improvement in her was night and day, she is a happy doggie now. There is no steriods in this product and you just squirt the measured amount on the food once a day, apparently is tastes like honey? Some pups can't take but it sure sound like your firbaby needs something. She get glucosomine in her dog food as well. The asprin can be hard on old tummies.

A product called MSM worked great for both my dog who has a bad back and a very old horse I had a few years ago that had arthritis.

Dirtnap is doing Great!!!

Oh my gosh, Dirtnap is doing SOO well lately! He even begs for his Brewer's yeast, Glaustomine, and Doggy aspirin. Although he doesn't get the aspirin on a reqular basis. Want to protect his stomach and not create a tolerance.
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be trying some of them soon. I may have to get ALL 3 dogs to do it at the same time. Separating them at food time isn't fun.
    What has helped Dirtnap lately is his hair cut! He is Full Eskimo Spitz and we live in the south. The weight of his hair seemed to be a problem. It made his back look haunched over and people kept calling him a girl! I took my scissors and cut off his hair. Kind of looks like a messed up poodle now. He seems much happier and is acting younger. He is even interacting with the other dogs more. He tries to "play" bite me now which he never did in the past.
    I just wish I could get his breath to match his new attitude. Gosh it stinks!!! I love Dirtnap and his improvements are astounding. He is beginning to become a whole new dog even at his old age! Thank you everyone for your support! Dirtnap says' Bark Bark" Thank you in dog language.