Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bike ride thru Chernobyl

A bike ride thru Chernobyl

I was 9 when the accident happened, so I don't remember much at the time. In high school I learned a little about it.

Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to venture there.

The photos are just eerie...

Ghost Town
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I remember it. How very frightening - for those who were there and for us now to look back at what it might have been like for them. Gives me the cold shivers!

wow.. i had never even heard of that...

what an interesting site!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

All I can say is wow, and not in a good way. I remember hearing of this disaster, but I was young and in my own world at the time and something like this happening on the other side of the world didn't mean anything to me at the time. But now, almost 20 years later...... And it appears that 20 years is miniscule in the big scheme of things.

Wow.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thats interesting...I don't think I've ever heard of that before though.

I kind of like visiting those kinds of places even though I never have...those pictures scared me a little though
    Last edited by bluekat; 04-13-2004 at 04:11 PM.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

Her site should be mandatory viewing! I think of a movie that haunted my youth...On The Beach.

I will not sleep well tonight....

I read this a few weeks ago...chilling. Great site though, thanks for posting it!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I posted this sight a couple weeks ago , It was both horrifing and refreshing . I saw how mother nature renews herself so fast. I afree the girl is very brave.

Thanks Kim for posting this. Mark & I both read it and found it very interesting.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I had never heard of that. That was very intriguing...thank you for sharing.

Thank you Wolfie!

Hey Corinna, sorry for the re-post.

Sara, I had never heard of 'On The Beach' , so I went searching and found this site: Animal Logic's On The Beach . It looks eerie.

I remember seeing a film in History class in High School about what would happen if a terrorist had a nuclear device on american soil. The movie had a guy with a bomb on a boat in a South Carolina harbor if I can recall correctly.

Gave me nightmares for weeks.

12. The "On the Beach" I saw was an earlier version -- not much in the special effects I suppose but powerful nonetheless. The story as I remember (this was a looonnngg time ago).

There had been a nuclear holocaust. These men were on a submarine and had therefore, survived. They were unsucessfully looking for any other life.

They kept picking up a Morse code message (Long time ago.. ) Hopeful there were in fact other survivors they hunted and hunted for it. Finally found it on the beach somewhere in the South Seas.

Remember those window shades with a ring on the end of a cord for raising and lowering the shade? An empty pop bottle had fallen into the ring and as the breeze blew the shade back and forth the bottle would tap.

The End.

How sad!!!

Kimmy this was enlightening and horrifying at the same time. What a sad, sad thing. I remember Chernobyl very well, but had not seen anything like this before. Thank you for sharing.

Logan

My Aunt just got back from a trip to Paris and England and she said that the main source of electricity in France is nuclear power. I was thinking about sending her the link to this site....but then I remembered that her and my mom and 99% of the rest of my family live within 25 miles of 2 nuclear plants.

We never thought anything of it as we were growing up, they were just there, with big fences around and they had educational, interpretive stuff that was pretty cool (we'd go on field trips for school). Then the next thing you know they're putting up huge sirens on a pole in the middle of corn fields. Supposedly to warn us about impending tornadoes and such, but we also knew they were there in the event of an accident at the nuclear plants. Again, we just didn't think anything of it, it was just another part of our lives.

Scarey.

Oh, and I also read a book about dropping the bomb on Nagasaki when I was in high school. Somehow I didn't connect that with the nuclear plants though, I think because it was a bomb and it did what it was meant to do whereas the nuclear plant had all sorts of safety plans and apparatus that was supposed to keep us safe - supposedly so we never had to worry about it. The amazing part is it worked - we never did worry about it.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl