Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay couples to get joint rights

Gay couples to get joint rights

Only fair don't you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3584285.stm

Chris

It's about time!!!!!! I support gay and lesbian partnerships and could never understand why they've been discriminated against for so long.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I agree with giving them the rights of same sex partners, but, I also agree with this remark made by a woman:

"My partner and I have been in a steady faithful relationship for almost 20 years. We have chosen not to marry, for our own reasons, but I am appalled that we will not be entitled to any of the legal benefits that the government is about to offer to unmarried homosexual couples. I see no difference in our situations at all. Any couple, living together in this way, should be protected by the Law."

I don't know....I guess nothing in life is supposed to be really fair.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by guster girl
    I agree with giving them the rights of same sex partners, but, I also agree with this remark made by a woman:

"My partner and I have been in a steady faithful relationship for almost 20 years. We have chosen not to marry, for our own reasons, but I am appalled that we will not be entitled to any of the legal benefits that the government is about to offer to unmarried homosexual couples. I see no difference in our situations at all. Any couple, living together in this way, should be protected by the Law."

I don't know....I guess nothing in life is supposed to be really fair.
    I don't agree with that woman's reasoning at all. If her and her opposite sex partner choose not the get legally married (and the operative word here is choose), then that is a choice they are making with full knowledge of the consequences. They can choose to get married, and reap all the benefits ... as well as possibly having to face the legal consequenses of a divorce. Or they can choose to simply live together, and avoid the legal aspects. But they have a CHOICE.

Many states in the USA (I don't know about other countries) recognise "common law" marriages, as well. If you live together for a specific number of years, then you are legally "married".

The way the law stands right now, same-sex couples do not have the same choice that opposite-sex couples have - to legally marry or not. They cannot legally marry at all. Therefore, this is a small token step in that direction.

IMO, if opposite sex couples choose not to marry, then they shouldn't complain about not getting the benefits of a married couple. It's a choice they are making. Just like people who choose not to have children shouldn't complain because they can't deduct a kid on their income tax.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Post deleted so as not to hijack. PM sent instead.
    Last edited by CathyBogart; 04-01-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Great!!!
    Definitely a step in the right direction.

If a man and woman choose not to get married, that is their choice. If they want to cry about not getting the same rights as a married couple, there is something they can do about it--get married.
    Gay couples do not have this option, sadly.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by WolfChan
    It's definitely a step in the right direction.
    Exactly ....

Given human frailty and the amount of bigots out there, positive change for homosexual rights can only happen one little step at a time. If you try to take giant leaps, you get into a situation like San Fransisco did, and have the changes revoked.

We'll get there one day! (here's to hoping!)

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Homosexuals should not be able to corrupt the holy union of marriage. End of story.

Originally posted by sirrahved
    Homosexuals should not be able to corrupt the holy union of marriage. End of story.
    I assume, then, that you are as adamently opposed to divorce? I'd say divorce is pretty much the ultimate bummer in terms of "holy unions", yes?
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, I AM opposed to divorce... is anyone for divorce? Like hey, let's go get divorced????

I believe that you shouldn't divorce no matter what, and if you do it's a sin... but I think you should have the right to do it.

Just like homosexuality.

So even though homosexual marriage is a sin in your eyes, people should be able to do it, by your own reasoning.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

NO, people should be able to have the relationship they want, but they should NOT be married, or have the same rights as a husband and wife.

Originally posted by sirrahved
    Yes, I AM opposed to divorce... is anyone for divorce? Like hey, let's go get divorced????

I believe that you shouldn't divorce no matter what, and if you do it's a sin... but I think you should have the right to do it.

Just like homosexuality.
    Really? So ... if a woman's husband beats her, or molests her children, she should still stay married to him "no matter what", or else she will commiting a sin?

My goodness.

Ok, I have to say something about the divorce issue. I do believe homosexuality is a major sin, but no way do I believe divorce is a sin. What if you end up with a horrible, abusive, impossible-to-live-with spouse? Does that mean divorcing him/her would be a sin?

Homosexuality is a sin in my faith.......divorce is not. Divorce is not encouraged........it isn't a good thing, but sometimes, there is no other choice, and divorce is the best thing you can do for yourself, your spouse, and the rest of the family. SOMETIMES, it just has to be done. I don't know what Christians believe in this issue, but in my faith, God has made divorce lawful, and not something that would count as a sin. I can't compare divorce and homosexuality at all. I see them both as 100% totally different things.