Thread: Frozen Cat

Frozen Cat

I have a cat that I found in a snowbank in -19 degree weather. Severe frostbite to ears and paws, but healing nicely. Some brain and optic nerve damage due to prolonged exposure to the cold. He is a 4 year old neutered male. When I had him indoors, he would sometimes use the litterbox and other times not. It was always spotlessly clean, so it was not that he would not use a dirty box. I tried different types of litters and he still would not consistently use it. He was not around my other cats during this time. The vet said that it may be due to brain damage because he checked out healthy otherwise. Anyone have any experience with this type of brain injury?

Hi italiangirl, and welcome to PT! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you. The only thing I can think of that comes close is K & L, here on PT, has a kitty called Porch who had similar problems. Unfortunately I don't remember why he had problems, but then he almost died and had to have colon surgery which only aggrivated the problem. This poor kitty who has been through so much has no control over when or where he goes to the bathroom.

I'll see if I can find the thread and give you a link to it.

You're a real sweetheart for taking this poor freezing kitty in and giving him a good home - thanks!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thanks for the note....Snowy is doing well but is an indoor/outdoor kitty now. This goes against everything I believe in, but the problem was just too bad. He is totally vaccinated; has his rabies tag, ID collar and flea collar, but he mainly lives out on my patio and does not go far. I bought him a house at Petco and he has warm blankets out there that he likes to sleep on. Plenty of food and water. When it gets too bad next winter, I will put him in the garage instead, but for now he seems to like this arrangement. He also likes coming inside when I am home and is quite a loving cat!

Welcome to Pet Talk! I also have nothing to help you, but I wanted to welcome you nonetheless. You are a womnderful soul to take in such a needy kitty.

Where did he go when he wasn't using the box? The reason I ask is because my Allen sometimes does and sometimes doesn't use the box. Always in the same place - the bathmat right in front of the litter box. He for some reason likes to poop on the bathmats, even if his litter box is clean. I've just come to accept this as an odd quirk of his.

Oh, and does he use the box for pee, then not poo? Some cats are fussy about that... the box is otherwise clean, but they won;t use it.