Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't be gay...we'll arrest you! :(

Don't be gay...we'll arrest you! :(

Tenn. County Wants to Charge Homosexuals

DAYTON, Tenn. (AP) - The county that was the site of the Scopes ``Monkey Trial'' over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

``We need to keep them out of here,'' Fugate said.

The vote was denounced by Matt Nevels, president of the Chattanooga chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

``That is the most farfetched idea put forth by any kind of public official,'' Nevels said. ``I'm outraged.''

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Texas' sodomy laws as a violation of adults' privacy.

Rhea County is one of the most conservative counties in Tennessee. It holds an annual festival commemorating the 1925 trial at which John T. Scopes was convicted of teaching evolution. The verdict was thrown out on a technicality. The trial became the subject of the play and movie ``Inherit the Wind.''

In 2002, a federal judge ruled unconstitutional the teaching of a Bible class in the public schools.

Pathetic. Just.....pathetic.

If people have a problem, fine. I happen to think that running someone out of their home because of their harmless personal life is a bit....OVERBOARD!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Each and everyday... my thought of the human race proves itself to be correct...

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

That's horrific! What an awful thing to do to just because someone is a little different from you.... shame on them all..
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Rednecks, what are ya gonna do with 'em?

Note to Self:
    Do Not Go Anywhere near Rhea County. Crazy cultish people will eat you alive.

Originally posted by 2kitties
    Note to Self:
    I’ll bet they have the largest population of snake charmers and fire talkers in the country. LMAO

Geez, that is just frightening. How scary it would be for any of those residents agreeing with this crap to actually take a few steps out of their small, poisoned bubble. Culture shock at its finest. Wow. It's no wonder I prefer dogs and cats and rats and snakes and hamsters and fish and.....

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

THAT IS HORRABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sasha,stone,gemini,sissy,shawna(me)and jim (my bf)

THAT IS HORRABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention very unconstitutional. No way this would hold up in any court.

Originally posted by 2kitties
    Note to Self:
    I agree....most places in the south are this way too...*no offense to people who live in the south who happen to be nicely tolerant of those different from them*
    This proves my theory that rednecks are Gods way of personifying the notion of intolerance...
    Rednecks have to have SOME usefull purpose...

What upsets me most about this town's attitude, is how will this affect their children ?

If they success in baring gay people from 'their' town, do they think they are 'safe' ?

Do they think that an all straight community will raise only straight children

I feel for those poor gay children growing up in such a town. Are they going to run out all gay teens too, what about the 10 year olds !!!

(My brother knew he was gay from being 10 years old).

and those poor straight children will be raised under the shadow of their parents attitudes.

Idiots.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 03-18-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
    I agree....most places in the south are this way too...*no offense to people who live in the south who happen to be nicely tolerant of those different from them*
    This proves my theory that rednecks are Gods way of personifying the notion of intolerance...
    I am sorry but, I have to say something about this. I relise you said "no offense" but still- I live in Texas, and I have NOTHING at ALL against gays/Bisexuals infact some of my friends are gay. People here are the same as "up North."

Excuse me but- "rednecks" DO have "some" purpose.

Originally posted by Tiah
    I am sorry but, I have to say something about this. I relise you said "no offense" but still- I live in Texas, and I have NOTHING at ALL against gays/Bisexuals infact some of my friends are gay. People here are the same as "up North."

Excuse me but- "rednecks" DO have "some" purpose.
    Time and place. Don't hijack my thread, that's what PMs are for. :P

Edit: I know plenty of nice open Texans! I try not to generalize, but it happens sometimes. I mean, we Californians are all drama queens right?!
    Last edited by CathyBogart; 03-18-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Whoops, sorry.....no hijacking intended

Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
    Hijacking- Sorry WolfChan
    I'm Southern, educated, non-redneck, non-racist and non homophobic- as are my friends, family and acquaintances.
    Please refrain from stereotyping southerners from your home in Nevada....especially when you are choosing to quote me.