Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I being fleeced?

Am I being fleeced?

So, I wanted to ask everyone's opinions about this, because you guys KNOW cat care!

My (well, Rizzo's) vet office called me today to say that Rizz is due for a checkup. It's only been 6 months since the last time he was to the vet. They said that they like to do checkups every 6 months instead of yearly, becauase cats age so quickly, blah blah blah. And they said he's due for a b-something vaccination (some sort of URI). And they wanted to take a fecal sample and deworm him. I flat-out refused the fecal sample unless there's something wrong with him that needs further investigation, b/c I will NOT have my baby traumatized in such a manner for no good reason (he hates that particular procedure like nothing else in the world. You've never heard such yowling.). And they said fine, but they still like to deworm pets, even strictly indoors ones, every 6 months b/c humans can bring parasites in from the outdoors.

Now, I'm all for keeping his vaccinations up-to-date of course, but is the deworming really necessary? He's always inside, and we have no other pets. And we don't drag mud clods in with us. And does anyone else's vet reccomend 6-month checkups? I'm going to take Rizzo in this time, b/c he just turned a year old, and he's my first cat, and I'm still a nervous mommy and want someone to tell me he's healthy. But after this? Would I be wrong to say yearly checkups only? He HATES the vet. He's very good during appointments, but he's never quite the same for a few days afterward.

What do you guys think? I trust your judgment b/c I KNOW that everyone here has their kitties' welfares first in their minds. How often to your cats visit the white coats?

I have never heard of a 6 month check up. Also, worm checks are only done on my animals as kittens, if they have a history of parasites and if there is some indication of a problem. Also, it is not necessary to take a rectal sample. You can bring in a stool sample from the box and have it float checked for worms and other parasites. Why subject the animal to a rectal? Is that what they do?? Emily has had worms twice and so of course we have to have all the kitties take the medication, but it is a powerful drug and I sure would not use it unless a stool sample indicated worms. Yearly is all my vet has ever suggested to me...except as kittens they have their series. Any others out there? This does NOT sound right to me...
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 03-05-2004 at 11:08 AM.

I agree

This don't sound right to me either. Yearly is enough and since your baby is just a year now, I would do that one but let them know that I will not do every 6 months. My vet only does the rectal thing if I say there is a problem, a sample from the litter box is what you can do if you only have one kitty in the house. Sounds fishy to me....Is business slow there or something?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm probably the wrong person to be answering this question since the only time I've taken T & P in to the vet was when they needed it. Now I take them in every 6 months because they have "issues" because they are older, but that's another story.

I'm just responding because I think it sounds a little odd myself. Since I have old cats, I don't remember how often you need to take them in as kittens, but I do know that once they have all their booster shots it's only once a year that they really need a checkup. I've never heard of 6 month checkups "because they age so quickly." I know a lot of people here take their kitties in once a year, and I know most vets recommend once a year.

Since Rizzo is just a year old, it might be good to take him in, like you said, just to be sure he's up to date on everything he needs to be, but then in my opinion, once a year is plenty.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sounds like a penny-hungry vet to me!!! If your kitty has had all of his 1st year vaccinations, then he should be plenty well for at least a year!!! In fact, they are warning against over vaccinating your cats now! If your kitty is indoors all the time, and especially around no other pets, then yearly vaccines aren't even necessary, PROVIDED he/she DID get ALL the 1st kitten shots and tested and vaccinated against Felv, and FIV! (Feline Leukemia and Aids)

Hope this helps!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Filou and Tigris have never been dewormed -being inside kitties. They keep their weight and are healthy.

I used to take them to the vet once a year but have started to do it every 2 years as I think they shouldn't be vaccinated too often ( I have read a lot of stuff about that and my vet says it's ok for indoor kitties).

Have you never met a human doctor (e.g. a gyn) who wanted to see you more often? Most of the time if you ask them whether you really need it they say no.

I worked as a vet tech at a couple vets, for years & years as well as volunteer at shelters (for even more years & throughout many states) and never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a money hungry vet.

I only vaccinate for the first few years, every year than after that only every other to every third year. As long as there are no symptoms I would not de-worm, also IF needed get a fresh sample from the litter box, it is easier, cleaner & less stressful on your cat. (they also sometimes charge more for rectals, another thing that makes me wonder if they are all about $$$). Especially if its an indoor only cat & does not come in contact w/ other animals.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

This topic has been irritating me today. The more I think of it, the more annoyed I am. For many years , we used a military veterinarian for our animals. The fee was always minimal and of course the veterinarians were military and not working for profit. Their policy was minimal vaccinations for healthy animals. We did not even have to have rabies for indoor animals unless the current county of residence required it. The last military vet we used told us not to bother bringing in our geriatric cats unless they were ill because a vet visit was more stress than they needed. Even our current civilian (for profit) vet suggests yearly and no rabies unless the kitties go outside. No rectals are done - we just bring in a sample from the box and then when Emily had worms, he treated Eliot also without a test or visit fee because they shared food, bedding and litterbox. Why subject a baby to this procedure just to be cautious??? Besides being stressful, the place has germs and sick animals - no matter HOW careful they are! Doctor's offices are the perfect place to get sick! I have been called a noncompliant mother by my fleshkids' doctors and I guess I would be the very same for my furkids. It is good to bring Rizzo in as he is a year old - good time for a check up and to have the peace of a clean bill of health, but unless there is a concern - I think the six month check-up is not right at all. Maybe it is a good and careful vet, but I think it is excessive. End of rant.

I also don't see the need for a six month visit. Sirrahbed makes an excellent point - my cats also get stressed out when they have to go to the vet. One of the reasons I've chosen my current vet is because it is so close to my house.

My little girl Jan has peed or pooped in her cat carrier the last two times that I've taken her in. Sid moans like I'm stabbing him. So yes, I try to keep vet visits to a minimum.

These are not the droids you were looking for

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    It sounds really hokey to me also. With feline vaccinination related carcinomas cropping up right and left the last several years, I only get rabies for my cats every 3 years now. I do the kittens series for FVRCP myself (I do rescuing, and have been hit with panleulopenia one to many times) of two shots 3-4 weeks apart. Are you in a small town? This reminds me of a dentist my husband saw many years ago, that said hubs needed to have his wisdom teeth out right away! It turned out Doc was taking a vacation, and needed extra cash. Needless to say, hubby's teeth were fine for 10+ years after that visit, and the Dr. lost a client!

Sounds bogus to me.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest

Vet visits

This is a great thread - thanks for posting all the vet advice and for asking the question in the first place. I'm especially interested in the thoughts about vaccinations. All my guys are strictly indoor kitties- 3 have NEVER been outside except for shoulder rides on the deck. I started reading more about it before our little female kitty, Roady, died. She had kidney problems and one of the things my vet told me was to not vaccinate her every year to reduce the stress on her already weak immune system. Our dog Fiona is also a victim of kidney disease and I don't have her vaccinated either for the same reason.
    Anyway, with the other guys, they are all healthy and I haven't had them to the vet since last year and none of them, except Pippin, the 1 yr old, have been re-vaccinated for anything in 2 years. The stress of going seems to cause more problems!
    I try to read as much as I can about what is recommended, but it gets confusing when talking about all the potential diseases out there. Its good to read that others seem to feel the same about backing off from lots of vaccinations.
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

Taht sounds a little od , to me as well ,as the only Cats that my vet recommends , for every 6 months are Older Cats , who are showing signs that they might be developing something.And I dont like it , when they try to make you feel guilty , that is unethical! Every six months ,sounds like a lot for a young Cat.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Here I am still ranting. I hate this guilt thing that some money hungry vets use on us. I am blessed with a vet who lets ME make decisions like this. For example, RB Ernie was in renal failure. I could have brought him in for bloodwork to monitor his deterioration and given him sub-q fluids to prolong his life but I CHOSE not to add to his stress with vet visits. He died naturally in his sleep and never showed signs of pain. Maybe I could have kept him a few weeks, months - longer. Who knows? But he HATED going to the vets and my CHOICE was to spare him the stress. He was 17 and had a pampered and good life. RB Bert - Missy and I took him in to be PTS because he had cancer and was showing his pain and was very weak and not eating. He died while we held him. He was also 17 or 18. I keep vet visits to a minimum unless I feel worried about something, and then I am the first to take them in. (remember Emily's *tumor* ?) it was F A T

Sirrahbed, did this thread hit a nerve? j/k
    I agree with everything that everyone here has said. I am probably wrong but I don't take my babies unless it is too be fixed or if they are sick. I'm sure as they age it may increase some but to me its not worth the stress for them. I get their kitten vaccinations and that is it.

Here is food for thought...My hubby was born into a very poor family. His momma didn't make it to the hospital when he was born. She had eight kids and he is the only one that was born at home. He didn't go to the doctor and he never got any baby shots or vaccinations (it wasn't a law back then). All of his brothers and sisters got their baby shots and initial vaccinations. Now, hubby NEVER got any childhood diseases and was NEVER sick! He was even quarentined in the house when his WHOLE family got some kind of sickness. All the kids also had chicken pocs (sp?) and mumps. He never got it! The worst thing my hubby has to deal with is rotten sinuses and most of that comes from having a broken nose many years ago. The screwed up bone doesn't allow for proper drainage. He has always told me that he truly believes that because he never recieved all those shots is why he doesn't get sick. He REALLY TRULY does not understand what it is like to be sick.
    Maybe he is just lucky or maybe there is something to it. All I know is that it doesn't make for a very compassionate hubby when your sick because he really doesn't know what it feels like!!