View Poll Results: You are your dog's...

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mom/Dad

37 71.15%
  • Friend

10 19.23%
  • Owner

2 3.85%
  • Slave!

3 5.77%
  • I don't really know...

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you your dog's mom/dad?

Are you your dog's mom/dad?

I don't consider myself to be Daphne's 'mom.' I think it's kind of weird, no offence, when people call themselves their dog's mom/dad. :/

Daphne's more of my friend than my child... I mean I do care about her and take care of her, but... I don't know. What's your opinion?

Oh, and again, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just want to know what you think.
    Last edited by wolfie; 02-25-2004 at 12:12 AM.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Lets see now, I have 3 human children, and 4 grandchildren. Yes, I call my self mommy or mama to my kitties, my dogs and of course to Mario. Like come to mommy, or mommy loves you. Thats just the way I feel about them. I don't know whether it is because I have children, or what.

But yes I feel like I am their mommy!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I don't think it's weird. I'm all of the above. A friend, a mom, a slave, an owner.

You could be a mother or a father to a snail. An octopus. A monkey.

moth·er1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mthr)
    n.

2. A female parent of an animal.

Simba's; my love, my life, my angel, my heart; everything you could ever want in a friend times ten. Greater than a friend.

Nala's like my little baby. She makes me laugh. My comedian.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm Mom and they are my best friends thats what a family is and we are a family. We are just not a typical family.

I consider myself mom to all my babies !!! I'm not embarrassed about it at all. Sure, I may look silly talking to them in the pet store like they are little kids, but its fun and they make me happy
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly, I do that all the time! My husband really looks at weird especially when I say something about "Go to daddy", he give me this look of ' you are one crazy woman', I call myself Mama to all my babies, Charlie the cockatiel, who always answers with kisses. It doesn't embarass me in the least! I don't care what people think of how I act with my pets. I love them, they fill my heart with so much love.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I am my dogs' friend. I don't think anyone here would be offended by anthropomorphizing our pets. I do it all the time.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

my freinds are alexs' aunts & uncles, so i guess this makes me his hu-mom, but today, i feel more slave .
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Andrew and I are Drake's mom and dad. Our parents are his grandparents and our siblings are his aunts and uncles! I don't care if anyone finds it silly. We are just fine with it

YUP! I see a strong family resemblence when looking at me and Nova When people at school say "Omg, I found out last night that Ashley has like 3 kids!" Of course, they were just joking, but I would always say "No, I have 9 want me to name them?" and they would always say yes and so I would say. Hope, Brook Tundra, Misty, Peaches (always them first cause they are my "less" known pets.), Julian, Jaxom, Nova and Breeze! LOL, they always roll there eyes and walk away.

When petting Nova I'll always go "Do you love your mommie, cause mommie loves you." LOL, sounds corney, I know!

Ashley, Mom to 9
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I agree with Kay Ann. I am all of the above! I do call myself "mommy" so I voted for that one. I also refer to Alden as "daddy" but sometimes he rolls his eyes at me...just teasingly though. After all she is her daddy's little girl! I also call my parents her grandma and grandpa. Once Katie was trying to get my mom to play ball and my mom wasn't paying attention so my dad said, "Carolyn, pay attention to your granddaughter!" Hehehe...I loved it! Oh, and my son is big brother! When Brandon comes home I always say, "Its Brandon, its big brother". She runs to greet him and they give hugs and Brandon always talks baby talk to her. Its just too cute! Yes, we are one big happy family!

Robin

I am Mommy to my dogs, Grandma to each of my daughter's 3 dogs (making me grandma to 6 furbabies.) The girls say they are aunts to each other dogs. But it is just too weird to say that my dogs are aunts and uncles to their dogs so they usually say they are cousins. And Carl is their daddy. And now that he is living in Florida he misses his babies more than he misses his wife.

I don't think it is just because I am a mom to three that makes me feel this way. We had two dogs before we had the kids and we were mommy and daddy to them too. And Amy and Christy and their spouses have no problem being mommy and daddy to their fur-kids. Christy has her first child now (can you believe it, Jasmine is 6 weeks old now and I know she doesn't feel any differently about her first "babies".

But I do agree I am all the above to them. Friend, just as they are my best friends cause who else is always there when you need them, slave because they are always getting me to feed, water, walk, take them to dogpark etc, etc. And owner because someone has to be responsible enough to take them for their shots, put the flea/tick medicine on them etc.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

My husband and I consider ourselves Mom and Dad to the pups. The reason I think this feeling comes about, is because we are their guardians and caretakers too. With a friend normally, you aren't responsible for feeding them, taking them to the doctor when they aren't feeling well, comforting them during a storm, or whatever. You also wouldn't tell a friend over visiting to stop that chewing on the sofa , as well as expecting some amount of obedience from them.

Kay also makes a good point in that they fill many roles too, at different times.

But overall, I feel a parent to my pets, because I am responsible for their well being, just as a parent is to their child. My pets are fully dependent upon me for food, exercise, affection, etc. etc.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

We are Mama and Daddy to our dogs, too. Rottie also likes to rub my face in the fact that I'm "grandma" to her bunny Thelmer.

Primarily, I consider myself Kia's Mom. But as a joke I say I'm her slave.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June