Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purebreds..and why?

Purebreds..and why?

Like many here - I have always gone after the cats who needed me and have never owned a purebred animal of any kind. But I dream There are three breeds I would LOve to be owned by. First - a Ragdoll. They are SO beautiful and I love the way they flop in your arms. I also like what I read about their personalities - affectionate and loving. Next I would like an Aby - a sweet and funny creature to ride on my shouders and give head bumpies and be able to stroke that velvet fur. Last, since reading the Norton books, I dream of a sturdy and cute Scottish Fold to spoil!! Will never happen (well....highly unlikely unless one appears in a shelter!) but it is fun to populate my fantasy home with all of these wonderful cats to wander about and be spoiled - now that the kids are gone and we have the space and I have the time I don't care if I EVER leave the house if I have my kitties!!

I had never really thought about a pure bred cat before. I have always had mutts and never really thought anymore about it. Now that I see PT kitties I'm getting an urge to have an aby. I have never seen one in person but they sound like soooo much fun. The other pure bred I have thought about is the Ragdoll because of how they are supposed to be so loving, big, and gentle. Of course, if all Russian Blues looked like Nakita I would be after one of those too!!
    Just give me a cat, any old cat will do!! I just gotta have cats!!

To be honest, even if the cat WERE in a shelter, I can't see myself owning a purebred cat. It's just not one of my fantasies.

Well, I have two Maine Coon mixes .... so that is as close to a purebred for me right now! I would love an Aby some day as well, but I certainly won't be trading in any of my "muttcats" for one!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Beau is my first purebred, because I wanted to own at least one purebred cat. There may be more in the future.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I see both shelter kitties and more abys in my future...(not a near future but later on in life)
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I have owned feral rescues before but already my first cat Grisette who lived in the 70s looked like a Russian Blue- she was from a feral litter.

I loved her looks and always thought I would like to own a Russian Blue again.

Then there was this period with moving, divorce, new job etc. When I started to live with Siegmar we knew we wanted to have cats but we were so busy working and it took us around 15 years until he retired.

I still had that dream of Russian Blue so we went to a cat show just to look. After that cat show we were hooked with Abys. I remember one of the jury members showing the different character of a Persian (who hung over his arm like a wet towel ) and an Aby -who attacked a featherwhisk.

I sure will love any cat (I still wonder whether I should not have stolen that little boy our neighbors brought home 3 months ago. they let him run outside and he disappeared in 2 weeks. I hope so much he has found a mor responsible home). But the Aby character just got me

I am so glad to have met Filou

I've always wanted a Ragdoll!!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Our first family cat was a grey cat that was either a Russian Blue mix or just looked like one. Since then, I always wanted to have a Russian Blue female. I still do. They are so petite and delicate and so beautiful. Those mesmerizing green eyes and that silky fur, how could anyone resist? Nakita is a living proof

I never thought that I would like a long haired cat. But when we saw Pichu - so fluffy and so sweet, we had to take him. He is gorgeous! He has the most beautiful fur! And tail! And btw, he is a purebred - Main Coon, and I am glad those neighbors spent the money and I have him

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I wouldn't ever buy a purebred... our family had problems with purebred dogs. I wouldn't ever want to show or breed them, so I wouldn't spend the money.

I'm still kicking myself, however, for not taking the other persian that was at the shelter...
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I'm going to get a Scottish fold one day. My grandma knows a reputable breeder of them. I did lots of research, and they sound perfect for me. But I always wanted to adopt a cat from a shelter because there are always so many, so I'm just going to do both!

I don't think that there are alot of people with education about breeds...I took my dog/cat breed book to school once, and my friend is like "I didn't know that black cats were a breed. I see them all the time. I thought they were all mutts." And then my friends will look through the book, pick out a cat that looks like their's, and say "Hey, that's my cat's breed! I never knew she was a purebred!"
    I've been BOO'd!

I'm going to admit something I've never admitted in public: I love the Siamese in Lilian Jackson Braun's murder mysteries! I've wanted Yum-yum for a long long time. We almost got a Siamese mix at the time we got Pouncer... that fell through and we ended up with the charmer we call Pouncer and I wouldn't want it any other way! From now on, its striped cats for me!

Catnapper,

My daughter is a huge fan of Lillian Jackson Braun and has read every single book! I have 3 purebred rescues, a Munchkin (Shortie), an American Curl (Carly the Curly Girl) and of course, a Sphyx named MooShoo.

I've always wanted an Aby but don't foresee it in the near future since I am going to school and have reached my max of 8 cats.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

There are a few breeds that I would like to own. I really like ragdolls, Abys, siamese and sphyx kitties. I'm not sure that I will ever own one but it doesn't really matter. I'm happy with my orange kitty and my siamese mix .
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I'm not sure of Butter's lineage, since he was a stray, but I've had many tell me that he is a Flame Point Siamese. I love Butter , although it is that unique, feisty personality that makes me love him so much. Many think I have been nuts to keep him for the three years I have had him.

I've never thought much about purebred cats because every cat I have ever had either "showed up" or was an unwanted kitten from an unexpected litter. But, if I ever chose one for myself (which I have never done), I'd go to the shelter and get a full grown cat that purred and loved on me!!

I must say that I am totally fascinated with the purebred cats I have met on this site, though, especially those beautiful Abys!!!