Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for Jen and others with multi-cat households

Question for Jen and others with multi-cat households

I'm just curious! How long does it take you every day to clean the litter boxes?

Would be interesting to know because since I have two cats, I'm now spending so much more time doing this every day, and I never would have thought that one cat more or less would make such a difference! LOL

Since my Luna is very finicky when it comes to the litter box business, I have three boxes and I'm cleaning them at least twice a day. And when they poop while I'm at home, I'm removing this immediately. Sometimes there are days I seem to do nothing else but cleaning my girls' boxes, and I would really like to know how this works in multi-cat households!

Kirsten

I only have 2 cats and 2 litterboxes. Because I work fulltime, I scoop in the morning and the evening, and like you, if they poop when I'm there, I scoop immediately. For me it's great.
    Once a week the boxes are emptied, washed and refilled.
    What I find time-consuming is scrubbing the rug after a puke or after Speckles scoots. I seem to be spot cleaning every day. Last night I got home and Max had the runs so I not only had to give him a butt bath but also spend time cleaning the rug. He's not sick, he just gets like that sometimes and it goes away after a day.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Ditto what Slick said. Scoop two boxes twice a day (if I remember) Clean/change the litter boxes once a week. I know all cats are different. My two seem fine with this arrangement. Doesn't take me that long - scooping takes less than 5 minutes a day; the cleaning/changing thing takes about 15-20 minutes once a week. The vacuuming every other day is another story .... Oh well, I love my little poopies!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Gosh, I seem to have it easy... I scoop the box once daily. The one in the basement can go for two days before I scoop it because its much larger.

I thought Allen was picky because he made me scoop it once a day. I am humbled.

I thank God Pouncer doesn't care one bit if the box is overloaded. He's funny though because he watches me scoop the one box and then runs downstairs to watch the other box.. then in the middle of it, he jumps in and makes me wait so that he can do his business for me to pick up.

We have four cats, and three litter boxes (we only recently added the third box). I clean the litter boxes once per day. We use Tidy Cat Scoopable litter.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

The boxes are scooped in the morning and in the evening. I never scoop in between. if it is particularly stinky it usually means it is not covered. I shift the litter so it is. Usually works. (hee hee)
    We have 18 boxes. I use scoopable litter but really don't dump it as often as most people.
    A round of scooping probably only takes about 5 to 10 minutes depending on whether I need to add litter to the boxes or not. But when it comes time to scrub the boxes, it is a big chore. (lots of stair climbing).

We change the litter daily. We have the type of litter boxes that have 3 levels that you sift (much easier and faster than scooping). When it's time for scrubbing we have a large plastic tub we bought at Home Depot. We fill it with bleach water and soak several litter boxes at one time. Then we rinse with the hose and let air dry. This takes about 15 minutes doing it this way, plus the bleach helps sterilize things. My husband does the litter and I do the feeding.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

litter box time

5 minutes am and pm. I have one box and 9 cats.
    #1 litter is Walmart's scoopable. In 28lb box, Special Kitty is only 6 bucks and lasts my 9 over a week. Consumer reports gave it raves a few years back (said it was best on market) and Walmart is out of it most of the time because it is the choice of multi-cat homes- esp. those who foster great numbers and the shelters- they wipe out the stock the same day it comes in!
    My friend does extensive rescue work spends at minimum about an hour a day- once, in the evening. But that also includes cage cleaning, food, and medication. She washes when she has time! Obviously cage boxes are washed frequently while home floor cats can go a while.
    Like Jen- if it stinks, it's cuz someone neglected to cover! I always call out- "Go back and cover that!" But mostly I end up doing that!
    pixie

My husband does potty patrol at my house too. (I'm lucky, I know this)

Anyway, he scoops first thing when he gets home each morning before he showers, and he does a complete "dump" each Friday. I'm sure they could stand to be scooped more often, but we deal with it. Also, I do try to feed premium food most of the time, so that helps hold down on the quantity of poops!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by jenluckenbach

We have 18 boxes.
    GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

litter box time

My friend as mentioned above, has at least 11 floor boxes and then there's all the cage boxes. That can fluctuate between 4 or 5 up to lots more in kitten season! What sucks is when they have diareah or when it's a cat who wants to take extra care to cover to the point that they scoop out all the litter out of the box with the poop and all then tip over the box and lie in it!
    pixie

Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
    GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but this hit my funny bone. I know it's something we normally don't think about, but really, with what - somewhere around 20 cats or so, 18 boxes seems to fit the bill, doesn't it. It's kind of one of those things that we know, but never really think about, and then when it's put in black and white for us we're shocked.

Sorry, IttyBittyKitty, but I'm still giggling.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Three boxes at our house. I scoop in morning and evening. In between time as needed. Overhaul clean out every couple weeks. I add litter to boxes on average 2x a week.

boxes

yeah but one doesn't have one box per every 1-3 cats! At least I don't think so- if you're in rescue work, it's not possible. OR, Jen has lots of room and some! I know for my friend, it's more than 10 (aint gonna say) on the floor. And they have their boxes they favor! (so take a bit longer to clean!-thank god for Special Kitty litter!)
    it is a comical topic and as I was typing this, someone made a horrible stink but then covered it so I smell nothing! yay for covering!
    pixie

We have two boxes for three cats using Costco scented scoopable litter. We end up cleaning them twice a day unless someone leaves something a little too stinky. That's a ral motivater!
    Randy