Thread: Please read!

Please read!

This is a bit late but something to keep in mind for next year. They were talking on the radio last week about how we all think about the homeless around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well, what about Halloween? How do the poor children feel around Halloween when everyone is dressing up and they can't afford a costume? Can you imagine how traumatic that can be for a child?

They had a drive here collecting new and used costumes for the unfortunate kids. I urge you to not throw out your costumes this year; and perhaps keep your eyes out for deals now that they are all on clearance. Save them for the children next year. Thank you for reading this.

Great idea Tonya! Thanks for posting it!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Great idea Tonya!! I'll ask my friend who has 2 kids if she's willing to donate them.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Good idea!

This year I've been getting really organized and, for the first time ever, I have a "Halloween" bin. So I won't have to buy all new stuff next Halloween. So now I can keep an eye out for all the sales and put all the cheap costumes in the bin! Good idea!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

For poor kids, they can still enjoy halloween. It doesn't cost a lot to make a good costume, throw a few bits and pieces together and there you have it, a great costume.

When i was young my mum wasn't exactly rich, she was a one parent family, but she still tried her best for us and we had as good a costume as anyone else.

When i was young my mum wasn't exactly rich, she was a one parent family, but she still tried her best for us and we had as good a costume as anyone else.
    I agree, Heather. With some creativity, it is very easy to come up with a good costume. But unfortunatly, some parents don't care enough to do that for their children.

also agree with you Tonya.

bump

I went to Target today. They has a 90% off sale on their Halloween stuff! I bought a Hulk costume regular $30 for $3, a witch one regular $15 for $1.50...All together I spent $40 and my grocery cart was piled to the top. Also, I explained to the manager at Target what I was doing. She gave me all of the Halloween costumes that were missing pieces or tags for free!

For poor kids, they can still enjoy halloween. It doesn't cost a lot to make a good costume, throw a few bits and pieces together and there you have it, a great costume.
    I agree ... an old sheet and a pair of scissors, and you're a ghost. Or a roll of toilet paper, and you're a mummy.

They had all costumes dirt cheap at Walmart after Halloween here, too.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to donate costumes, it is. I just remember as a kid, we had the most fun when we were creative and made our own costumes for pennies, rather than buying them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Just a reminder. Halloween is around the corner. Keep your eyes open for costume items.

Thank you Wolfie!

Great idea I will tell my neighbors who have 4 kids thanx a bunch

Thank You Popcornbird for the wonderful siggy!

On my honor I will try to serve dogs in my country, to help dogs at all times, and to live by the Dog Scout Law.
    I will do my best to be honest and fair to dogs, friendly and helpful to dogs, considerate and caring to dogs, courageouss and strong to dogs, responsible for what I say and do to dogs, and to respect myself and other dogs, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Dog Scout.
    -Dog Scouts

Thank you. I know it's wierd timing to remind everyone, but I always start on the holidays during the summer, so I was just thinking about it.

Thank you Wolfie!