Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving soon to help rebuild So. California...

Leaving soon to help rebuild So. California...

As most of you know, I am in construction for the phone company. Well, we lost thousands of cables in the Southern California fire. In fact, we are still losing...

We had a meeting today at work. They are sending pretty much everyone to Southern California to rebuild. They are even sending techs from out of state. We were told to stand by and that we will be leaving anytime within the next thirty days. The goal is to have three week rotation, so hopefully I won't be gone to long. The company cannot guarantee us that we'll be home that soon though. They said it may be months.

They told us to expect 90+ hour weeks. They can only force us 10 hour days, but of course if your co-workers are busting their tails you aren't going to cut out early.

I sat my six year old son down today and showed him pictures of the fire. I explained that mommy has to go help these people and that I will be gone for a long time. He's reasonably upset but I think he understands. I promised that him and daddy can come down and stay at my hotel as a mini vacation. That cheered him up a bit.

In some ways, I am looking forward to helping and all the extra money I'll make. But Gosh, am I going to be homesick! I have never left my husband or son for more then a few days. I'd just started back to school, but my instructor is going to look into postponing the classes since the majority of students are phone company employees.

So, anyways...I don't know if I'll have any notice. If I fall off the face of the Earth, I'll be back.

Thank you. Stay safe.

Wow - I've never through about the disruption to the lives of those people that go to assist after a tragedy like this. One always tends to focus on the "victims", but in reality the number of lives affected is much higher!

How sad that you will be away from your son and your husband. Try to keep in your mind what a sense of relief it will be for the residents there, when their vital communications are restored thanks to YOU!

Stay safe, and stay in touch with your loved ones. And thanks for the advanced warning that you may "dissapear"!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Tonya,

Please stay safe. Those fires are awful. My friend who is a photojournalist went as a trained firefighter to do a story about them. When I talked to him he said that there was nothing more eye-opening than being right in the middle of them.

If you can, please have hubby update us on how you are doing.

(((((hugs)))))))

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you so much, on behalf of all whose lives you will help restore to normal. A friend's dad was a lineman when I was growing up - is that what you do? After every ice-storm here in the Northeast, his Dad would be gone for days, sometimes longer. Thank you also for telling us, so we won't worry and wonder too much! Rather, we will have specific worries while not hearing from you!

Be safe, be careful and come back soon!

Be Careful!!!!!

~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Stay safe Tonya! *hugs* I'm sure you'll be back home in no time and what a blessing you are to those you are helping.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

The people in So. California will be very grateful for your help.
    Stay safe. I hope you can be back with your son and husband soon.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Tonya, what a huge sacrifice you are making to leave your family and pets to help restore service in So. Cal.

Although, aside from smoke and ash, I have not been impacted by the fire directly - so many have lost so much.

Please accept my personal thanks for making such a sacrifice.
    You are the unsung heroes that we never hear about.

Tonya,

That's wonderful that you're able to help so many people.

I want to wish you the best of luck & hope you don't have to be
    away from your family very long. Take care.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you so much for coming to help. For you to disrupt your life and family to help us regain phone service is a sacrifice that we all sincerely appreciate. Thank you!
    Oreo and Molly

Be Careful!

What a sacrifice your making, leaving your family & all. Thank you

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Many thanks for your great sacrifice and that of your family! I know the people of So. Calif. will be most grateful for your help! Most of all, PLEASE be safe!! Hurry home!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

What a sacrifice, to leave your family and go down there to help others. I'm sure so many Southern Californians will be more than grateful! Stay safe, and try to update us whenever you can. Those fires sure look scary. Good luck!

Please stay safe, Tonya.

Thank you for all you are going to do for these poor people

I'm sure your work will be hard, but so appreciated.

Stay safe, and see if you can get that hubby of yours to drop in on Pet Talk for us and let us know you're ok.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada