Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BYB's?

BYB's?

Take a look at this site http://designerdogs.ca/

I found the ad in the paper and thought that was a stupid name for a site. I automatically thought byb because it sounds as if they breed for looks.

I saw signs of some responsibility, neutering contract, and other things as well. On the ad, they mentioned that they specialize in hypoallergenic pups. So, what's your take on this? Even if they only do this to provide dogs to people with allergies, what's your opinion?

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

BYB through and through IMO.

They purposely breed mixed breeds and that is something that I don't believe in.
    I don't have anything against mixed breeds, I just don't think they should be purposely bred for.

With their size varying depending on the cross, they can range from smaller than a Wheaten, approximately 25 lbs., to somewhat larger, up to 57 lbs.
    That was about 'nuff said for me, right there.

Why would you want to cross your Wheaten terrier with other dogs, call the puppies "Designer Dogs" and sell them via the internet? To further the future of the Wheaten terrier strain? Please. To make a buck and amuse yourself? Yep. That is the quintessential definition of a BYB right there ... intentionally creating cross breed or mixed breed puppies.

There is no such thing as a truly "hypo-allergenic" dog. Some dogs are far better for allergy sufferers than others, but NO dog is hypo-allergenic. There are already many purebred dogs that meet the requirements of allergy sufferers ... bishons, poodles, maltese, etc. Why "create" another "hypo-allergenic" mutt? To make a buck and amuse yourself? Yep.

You know ... if dogs were rare, on the verge of extinction, and there was a year long waiting list to get one with every breeder getting to pick the best home for each puppy from a long list of applicants ... then I would not have such a problem with this. I wonder if the "Designer Dog" people have toured a shelter lately? I wonder if they have had to shove dogs into a room and turn on the gas, and watch them all die? I wonder if they'd had to give lethal injections to litter after litter after litter of cute mixed breed puppies, because there are simply too many dogs and not enough homes? Hmmmm ... doubtful. If they did, maybe they wouldn't be producing more and more and more intentionally crossed mixed breed dogs ... when thousands die every day in shelters.

Sorry ... if it walks like a duck ....
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Pssssst.... Twister......

Try signing on again please *S*

I don't agree with what they are doing, but at least it looks like they are well cared for........although, you can't believe everything you see on the internet.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

a way for us to thank our Designer Dog owners for taking the time to answer peoples question about our dogs, and passing along our web site address and phone number.
    When someone adds a Designer Dog to their family because of your help, we'll send you a cheque for $25 and a gourmet treat for your dog.
    Making it even more rewarding than ever to own a Designer Dog.

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I agree. My instincts told me BYB right away and I'm sticking with my instinct. Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet but because of the mix like you guys have mentioned. I only stick by breeders who breed purebreds to keep the breed in tip-top shape according to the breed standard. Breeding mixes on the other hand, there's just no reason for.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    I agree. My instincts told me BYB right away and I'm sticking with my instinct. Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet but because of the mix like you guys have mentioned. I only stick by breeders who breed purebreds to keep the breed in tip-top shape according to the breed standard. Breeding mixes on the other hand, there's just no reason for.

A lot of great breeders advertise through the internet. I breed rats, and my website is a great way for other breeders and prospective owners to see the rats in my breeding program, the babies they have produced and their pedigrees. Almost all of my sales are through the internet or paper. That is how I advertise, and that is why most of my babies are reserved BEFORE they are born. Ones that I cannot find homes for (which is almost never) stay here with me until they find a new home, or pass on.

Anyone who breeds responsibly should only breed to improve the line or breed, and have at least a basic understanding of genetics.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I meant that the way they're selling their animals just doesn't cut it for me. I know lots of breeders who advertise through the internet and newspaper. I'm fine with that because they'd have to advertise some way but in my world, responsible breeders don't rely on just the internet and newspaper alone. I'd expect any responsible breeder to also talk to potential buyers at shows.

And also, the info on the site bothers me.
    "November 11, 03 Cockapoo X Mini Poodle.
    November 15, 03 Wheaten Shnoodle X Standard Poodle.
    November 21, 03 Shnoodle X Standard Poodle."

Breeding mixes is the first sign of bad news and also, litters only a few days apart?!?!

Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet ....
    Well if they had a waiting list to account for the ammount of puppies they're expecting then I'm sure half of BC would have a "designer dog" now.

I meant that the way they're selling their animals just doesn't cut it for me. I know lots of breeders who advertise through the internet and newspaper. I'm fine with that because they'd have to advertise some way but in my world, responsible breeders don't rely on just the internet and newspaper alone. I'd expect any responsible breeder to also talk to potential buyers at shows.

And also, the info on the site bothers me.
    "November 11, 03 Cockapoo X Mini Poodle.
    November 15, 03 Wheaten Shnoodle X Standard Poodle.
    November 21, 03 Shnoodle X Standard Poodle."

Breeding mixes is the first sign of bad news and also, litters only a few days apart?!?!

I know. I do not understand why they have to mix all those dogs? I didn't notice the dates though!

With my rats, a lot of it is word of mouth. I have THREE people coming over tomorrow to looks at the parents to future litters. I have to much demand there is no way for me to breed that much. I just placed three of my baby bucks to a great pet home last Saturday, and I can't tell you what a great feeling it is to have your babies go to a loving home.

I also have business cards and flyers that get handed out at shows, but most people end up getting my number from family members or friends.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Well if they had a waiting list to account for the ammount of puppies they're expecting then I'm sure half of BC would have a "designer dog" now.
    EXACTLY! Another sign that they're bad news...way too many litters.

EXACTLY! Another sign that they're bad news...way too many litters.

That's how they make money. It's all for the money.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

If I had a way to get to Langley, I'd go there myself and shove my foot up their royal behind. (*excuse the language)

Definatly BYB it is very sad what some so called "humans" will do to make some money.

there is place in Melbourne, Victoria who breed "designer dogs" it is discusting but as the dogs are reasonably well cared for animal welfare cannot do a thing about closing them down
    here is their link http://www.acabreederskennels.com.au/
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*