I'm doing a survey to find out a few things. Please answer even if your dog has never bitten. I'd like to know what percentage of dog bites are called in to animal control, according to breed.

Let's define "dog bite" as the dog putting its teeth on somebody in a way which alarms them. Please say "yes" even if the teeth didn't break the skin, but don't count the little puppy play nips that we all get when we're horsing around with our dogs.

1. What kinds of dogs have you had? How many of each?

2. Have the dogs bitten? If so, was the person bitten a stranger or a friend/family member?

3. Did the person who was bitten notify animal control or the police?

I'd like to determine the percentage of each breed that have bitten, compared to the percentage which have been turned in for biting. My hypothesis is that certain dog breeds are turned in more often for biting and therefore have a false reputation for being aggressive.

My answers:

In my entire life, including my childhood, I have had:

1 terrier mix, no bites
1 beagle, no bites
1 poodle, no bites

1 malamute with one severe bite of the landlord, one bite to my brother who was a child at the time, and a few narrow escapes. She was put down, and if she hadn't been the police would have been notified so I'll count that as a "yes" for notification of animal control. (I must say, in her defense, that we adopted her as a ferral dog)

2 poodle mixes, one who bit a strange child and animal control was notified
1 german shepherd, no bites
1 german shepherd mix, bit a family friend, animal control not notified
2 mixes of unknown breeds, no bites
and 1 Sheltie, no bites