Thread: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hagrid

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hagrid

Two of my boys, Hagrid and Bob, have grown up together and are best buddies--except when either of them visits the vet. They were neutered at the same time, and when I brought them home Hagrid started attacking poor Bob. A real fur-flying attack. Bob was still pretty much feral then, so it was a major socialization setback.

Well, Hagrid went to the vet Tuesday because he had an ingrown claw (he's a polydactyl and has an extra claw hidden between toes that he can't extend and sharpen). When I brought him home and let him out of the carrier, he started after Bob, who ran and hid. Angel freaked out too, for no particular reason as far as I can tell (except that maybe he thought that cone-wearing Hagrid was from outer space).

So now Bob's been hiding behind my computer monitor (it's a really big monitor) for the past couple of days. Hagrid chases the poor guy whenever he ventures out. And, of course, Hagrid's in a bad temper generally because his paw hurts and he has to wear a cone.

I just can't figure out why Hagrid (who's such a gentle cat that the vet didn't have to sedate him to take care of his paw) would take things out on his best friend. He and Cricket don't especially like each other--you'd think that if he was going to go after anyone, it would be her. Of course, Cricket wouldn't run and hide like Bob does--she'd give it right back to him.

My poor Bobcat!

Bob's still behind the monitor--he came partway out just now for some ear and chin rubs, but he saw Hagrid snoozing across the room and went back into hiding.

I have to take Hagrid back to the vet on Friday for a checkup. I hope another vet trip doesn't make matters worse!

I don't have any suggestions except that it appears Hagrid is taking his frustrations at going to the vet out on poor Bob. Is there some way you could completely separate them for a few days until Bob gets back in the groove - and Hagrid gets over it?

I know others have mentioned that when a kitty comes back from the vet there are often weird reactions from the other kitties in the house, but it all usually passes within a day or so. Hagrid must really be upset.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to give Bob some extra attention - and some skritchies from me too.

Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Never try to figure out a cat

Well, Hagrid is cone-free and things seem to be getting back to normal. Hagrid and Bob touched noses at the food bowls this morning, so I think they're over the worst of whatever it was.

But I think Bob has decided he likes lounging behind the computer monitor! He's back there now. He steps out on the desk every once in awhile to stretch and to allow me to give him chin rubs, then he heads back to his corner.

Guess I'll have to put a cushion back there.

It is at times like these that we wish our little furry friends could TALK!!!! C'mon Hagrid and Bob - tell us what's going on in your little furbrains!!!!

I hope that things stay settled at your house! And that Hagrid's paw is doing fine!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Hagrid's paw is doing great--thanks! And you can bet I'll be clipping that nasty extra claw on a regular basis from now on--now that I know it's there!

I had a cat that was polydactyl and once a week I would check up on that extra claw to make sure it didn't get ingrown.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Yep, it's a new cat hangout

Well, Bob and Hagrid are getting along fine again. But as soon as I sat down at the computer, Bob meandered into the study, tail high, jumped up on the desk, insisted on some pets, and settled in behind the monitor.

Guess that's Bob's new hideaway.

Whenever one of the abys has to go to the vet, he or she gets royally hissed and sometimes chased or swatted on the return...their Daddy thinks it's the smell of vet's that one brings home. I settles down in a couple days. For shots, or teeth cleaning, the vet comes here and they all are ugly to each other for at least the rest of the day.