Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daisy the NON-Service Dog!

Daisy the NON-Service Dog!

Okay as I posted under Pet Poll, "Do you take your pets on vacation with you," I mentioned that my family is unable to take Daisy to my grandparents' beach house because my grandfather is anti-dog. However, Dad and I conjured a plan to make Daisy into a "service dog", helping him out in some way. That way she'd have to be allowed up to NH with us! My father has Lou Gherig's disease and is in a wheelchair. He can't speak anymore either so we can't use commands. What I think would be easiest would be teaching her how to pick stuff up for Dad when he drops it. But she won't pick anything up! I don't know how to teach her it either. If anyone has any advice on something else I could teach her or how to teach her to pick stuff up, I am desperate! We leave June 23... I have arrangements for Daisy to stay with a dear friend, but 2 weeks without her just doesn't sound like a very fun vacation to me

What does Daisy LIKE to do in general? And no, sleeping is not usually regarded as being of service.

Bridget...have your dad drop some trash. Daisy loves trash, doesn't she???? I think you need to snuggle up to Grandpa, frankly. How could he resist you? Maybe you could cry a little bit??? LOL!! I surely wish you could work it out. We beg my dad constantly to buy a beach house that would welcome our dogs since we rent and they aren't allowed . His answer to that request is that if we would all "help" him buy it, we could make it a family beach house!!

I leave for vacation the same day you do, and I absolutely hate to leave all my furry kids as well. But, that's not a good enough excuse to skip a whole week's vacation at the beach! Helen and I are especially excited this year as we will get to meet one of our new internet friends, who has 2 Goldens also. And we're going to volunteer at her shelter for a day while we're there.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
    Logan

Can you teach her hand signals for things that your dad can use instead of commands?

Hmm, just put a harness on her and tell everyone she's doing her job even though she might not be doing much, hehe.

Just tell your gramps the truth. Your dad needs Daisy for emotional support. He has this very devastating illness that can make a person living with it very depressed at times. Interaction with Daisy can bring him out of that depression. He needs her there just as he would need his medication to take as needed. Tell your gramps that this isn't something that you all like to talk about alot, but out of consideration for your dad and all that he is going through, you know that he wouldn't want to deny your dad the little relief that is available to him during these times. Also ask your gramps what are his specific concerns about having a dog there. Then depending on what they are, explain how you will be attuned to doing everything possible so that those concerns don't impact on him and explain how his concerns are either unfounded or can be alleviated with your attention.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited June 14, 2001).]

And there was the woman whose pet pig got to fly with her for emotional comfort, so you have national precedent for such "service."

Bridget, is he your maternal grandfather?

I have taught Hannah some things you could teach Daisy.

I have taught her hand signals, just repeat the word you want her to learn over and over using the hand signal at the same time then after so many times she will learn the signal. Hannah knows sit, stay, come, laydown, open, and shut. I have also tied rags around the door handles of some doors, and the fridge door and have taught her to open them well she basiclly taught herself I just put a toy our a snack on the other side of the door and put the rag in her mouth and gently pulled her back, I did this a couple times and then left her to do it herself, it took her a couple of minutes to get it. I then taught her to put stuff away like her toys and things, and the last and hardest was getting mail from the mail box and putting mail into the mail box.

The getting her to pick up garbage is a great idea, just always use the command pick up or bring it here as she is getting it and then move on to a toy then a brush or things your dad uses. If you work with her for about 15-20 minutes a night she should know some commands and be able to pick things up, just don't push her and don't work for more then 20 minutes at a time or she will get bored and not want to do anything then you will get mad and that will set her back. A hound dog should do just about anything for a treat I know mine do

My father was going in for a back operation that had a good chance of leaving him paralized (spelling???) so I thought if Hannah knew these things then if there was a time when we needed to leave him for a little while Hannah could help him out. But thank fully the operation went well and he is fine and back to work, these things are still good for Hannah to know because this was his secind operation and may not be his last.

If you need more help. I will find the website I found these teachings on and pass it on.

Good luck, if this doesn't work I know my papa can never say no to tears

------------------

~~ My House Is Not A Home Without A Hound ~~

[This message has been edited by ilovehounds (edited June 14, 2001).]

Originally posted by Karen:
    What does Daisy LIKE to do in general? And no, sleeping is not usually regarded as being of service.
    I disagree, she could be a lap warmer, right? Or maybe she's too big.

I've taught Carl to pick things up on command, (part of the obedience retrieve), but that was very complicated and it took 4 months of hard work. Sorry to sound discouraging. You'll think of something!

------------------
    -Rottie

Thanks for your help everyone! Ok to answer everyone's questions...

Karen, Daisy likes to sleep and eat but I doubt those count... she likes to walk, howl, and play chase... I can't see how that will help though.

Freckles, yes he is my maternal grandfather. But... you all don't know him... crying won't help. I honestly can say that I can't stand him. I am respectful to him but he shows me none back. He doesn't really care what I say and talking about it sends him into a rage!

Rachel your idea is a good one, I think I may try writing a letter... wish me luck!

And in the meanwhile I will be trying your ideas, Aly. I hope they work on my lazy Daisy!

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate this!

Bridget, Writing a letter is an excellent idea. You are so articulate and it will give you an opportunity to say exactly what you want to say without getting angry by any feedback he may give, as might happen if you talk to him on the phone. This is a good thing to do, even if it doesn't accomplish your purpose. It is good because it is a wonderful thing for you to do for your dad. It is good because it will help you become a little more experienced in the strategy of dealing with difficult people, something dear sweet person that you will find you will have to do frequently in life. It is good because it is giving your grandfather an opportunity to reflect upon his own decisions and how they affect other people and provide him with a chance to do something puts someone else's needs ahead of his own. Whether or not he takes advantage of this opportunity is not my point, but that in this moment in time, for the specific people involved, he had a chance.

Yes, Bridget, good luck.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited June 15, 2001).]

Bridget, I completely agree with Rachel, I think the letter might give him pause to reflect the unhappiness he is creating for you and your Dad.

------------------

RACHEL ONCE AGAIN U COME THROUGH WITH SOUND, WISE ADVISE FOR DAISY'S MOM. I AGREE IF YOU CAN GET GRANDPA TO UNDERSTAND THE BENEFITS OF A WARM, FUZZY, HUG, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE HE'LL ALLOW YOU TO BRING HER. GOOD LUCK, PRAYERS, AND WHATEVER ELSE IS NEEDED. POOR GRANDPA, GETTING OLD OR SICK TAKES GREAT STRENGTH IN LEARNING HOW TO LET GO. MAYBE DAISY CAN TEACH GRANDPA. SHALOM

Okay I am starting the letter right now! I'm nervous!

Thanks for all your advice Rachel! He really is quite hard to understand. He says he loves Daisy; he is just incredibly strict and doesn't have much of a sense of humor. We don't get along very well no matter how hard I try. I hope this letter doesn't get him mad! But Dad really does need Daisy with her. Rachel you are exactly right; she is just another medicine that he NEEDS. And I need my daily dose of hound dog too!

If anyone has any information about the affects of animals on the terminally ill, please tell me so I can add it in my letter! If it turns out good I will post it before I send it so I can get some feedback! Hehe this is so great, it's like 50 people on my side against Grandpa I think it would do him good to spend 2 weeks with a little mellow love bug!

Well I am going to go ask Jeeves for some information Hehe wish me luck! I'll keep ya posted!

Once again - thank you very very much for your great ideas and concerns. You guys really are like another big family to me

Bridget, the page I found about what therapy dogs do for the terminally ill is at http://www.tdi-dog.org
    maybe you can find some information on this page to help you write that letter. Look under what tdi dogs do.
    Hope so
    Jackie

------------------

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited June 15, 2001).]