Thread: Steak Bones

Steak Bones

My parents like to give Ruby steak bones, but they always do so when I'm not around (they know I'll object to it ). They know not to give her chicken bones, but whenever they eat beef T-Bones they always give her a leftover bone and she eats the whole thing! Ruby has plenty of dog treats, I don't see why they don't just give her one of those. (Of course she still gets people treats every so often). But I don't know, eating a hole steak bone just doesn't seem like it's very healthy to me, and it seems like she could easily choke! My parents said they wouldn't give her anymore, but they did a couple nights ago She doesn't seem to get sick from them, but it still worries me. Any opinions? Does anyone have any links that I can show my parents about steak bones being harmful to dogs? Do you think it's okay for her to eat them?

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

hmm... I don't know the answer to that. Sorry. But Chilli eat absolutely no human food. All she gets is her regular dog food. My mom is very disciplined in not giving Chilli any other food (just don't look at Chilli's eyes when you eat. heehee... ). Because we used to give Chilli grapes and other stuff, but then she won't eat her regular food and grapes (later found out it's a big no-no) gives Chilli urinary crystal... that create lots of vet visits. Plus she is a little chubby and the vet said she need to lose some weight. Anyway, she get regular dog food for her meal and the same thing as treat too. And we are proud to say she has been maintence her weight for quite some time. heehee... HOWEVER, she now has skin problem... not sure what's the reason this time...sigh...
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

Cooked bones are not good for dogs. They tend to splinter.

www.vetref.net/wholefoodsforum/pages/bones.htm

Re: Steak Bones

Originally posted by RubyMutt
    Do you think it's okay for her to eat them?
    No, it's not OK for a dog to eat bones. They may splinter and perforate the intestines. You may not notice the damage they are doing until it's too late. Please try to convince your parents to stop giving them to Rubi.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Thanks. I have told my parents that the bones could splinter, but they said "no, only pork and chicken bones splinter" Now I have backup! I need to tell them about those cooked bones...

Our dog got sick once from steak bones.. they didn't splinter but they were so rich that she became VERY ill.. vomiting, diarreah, and was dehydrated. She had to go to the vet for IV fluids. This was YEARS ago, but it always reminds us now, "Don't let the dog get a hold of a steak bone!"

It is actually a common misconception that only cooked bones splinter. Raw bones splinter as well, even if not as easily.

bone damage --- PICS
    I've been BOO'd!

Thanks for posting those pics, I showed them to my mom. I don't think Ruby will be getting anymore bones now! My mother was getting rather nasty with me Geez, I'm sorry I don't want my dog to get hurt