Thread: House trained or not?

House trained or not?

Okay my mom seems to disagree with me that cami is housetrained.. She goes if she has to go in the house or she goes if no one takes her out. I think a dog is really housetrained when they can hold it for a period time.. But my mom says she doesnt go in the house on purpose its our fault. So who is right?TM you made me decide on doing this thread! hehe.. Oh btw cami is 8 months old!

It depends... how often do you take her out? If you guys are waiting too long, then just start taking her out more frequently. She shouldn't be having accidents anymore if she's let out enough. Then you can gradually let her out at longer intervals.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Mickey is housetrained, but once I went upstairs and brought him with me. I wasn't paying attention to him "telling" me that he had to be let out and he peed on my parents' bedroom floor. My fault. We cleaned it up and masked the scent as usual. Another time, we were upstairs again and just walked over and peed in the same spot. His fault. We cleaned it up, masked the scent, told him he did bad and brought him out where he was supposed to go. He also went through this thing where he was peeing in his cage. We did the same thing. Cleaned out his cage with PetFresh, washed his pillow and told him he did bad, brought him out where he is supposed to go. It's all a routine. Try bringing Cami out more often and when she does go outside, praise her.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I think...it may be part of the owners fault...but I don't really know about your situation. If she's peeing too often and you know that she knows not to, take her out more. In the beggining, I took Kai out about 4 times in an hour lol! He peed everytime. Then as he got older..I knew he could hold it longer cuz he had more control of his bladder...so then it was once every hour and now he goes every few hours. Maybe you could keep track of when she goes out. That way, you can have an idea of how long she can normally hold it. Then just increase the time little by little.

Don't worry about the age thing..well..if she was 2 maybe I would lol. All dogs are different. Kai wasn't reliable in the house until he was about 9-10 months.
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 07-01-2003 at 08:00 PM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]