Thread: Luna's lump is still there... :(

Luna's lump is still there... :(

(sequel of feline vaccine sarcoma)

I know, the vet told me to be patient and that it could take a couple of weeks till it goes way, but the uncertainty is scaring me. What IF it's not a reaction to the recent shot but a vaccine sarcoma resulting from a previous shot, or another form of cancer, not related to any shots? I can still feel hardened tissue around her shoulder and one or two little lumps in it, smaller than peas, but they are there. I can't help but being worried about my little girl!

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,
    I hadn't been following Luna's apparent reaction to the vaccine. I will immediately add the two of you to my prayer list.

I think I would keep an extra eye on the lump, and maybe you can find something about the house that seems similar in size to Luna's lump. You can then make a comparison without thinking, "well, I **think** it is smaller/larger than yesterday". No point in needlessly fretting, you know?

Good luck, keep your eye on her, and report back when you can.
    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

how long has the cat had the lump? do you feel comfortable with your vet? maybe another vets opinion would help?

I know that waiting is the hardest part but if the lump was not there before the shot it is HIGHLY unlikely that a sarcaoma would just develop NOW out of nowhere. Know what I mean?, it would have already have been there and I am sure that you'd have felt it earlier than right after this recent injection. So try not to worry too much as you continue to monitor it.

Cataholic, thanks for the prayers! I "examined" Luna again today and the area of hardened tissue seems to have a diameter of 2 cm, and it has no clear edges.

Mary, I have noticed about the lump last Wednesday, and I don't think it has been there a long time before because I'm brushing Luna every day and stroke over her back. I was already thinking about hearing a second vet's opinion, and I think I'll do that when the lump won't get smaller within the next couple of days, or even grows.

Jen, you're so right, the waiting is very hard for me at the moment. Luna means the world to me and she's still so young!
    True, I don't think the lump has been there before she got her shots, so I hope the vet is right and it's "only" a reaction to it. Found this on the internet and found it quite helpful:

I found a lump where my cat was vaccinated. What happens now?
    It is quite common for a small, firm, painless swelling to form under the skin at the site where a vaccine was injected. The lump is almost always of no consequence and disappears after several weeks. Rarely, however, the swelling may progress to a sarcoma. To be on the safe side, your veterinarian will suggest that you periodically check the vaccination area for several months after vaccination. If you detect a lump, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Small samples of the lump will be sent to a laboratory for diagnosis if any of the following are true:

* The lump persists for more than three months after vaccination.
    * It is larger than two centimeters in diameter (about the size of an olive)
    * It is increasing in size one month after vaccination.

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 06-08-2003 at 10:16 AM.