Thread: Heat Wave

Heat Wave

It's been in the triple digits here lately and the park cats have really been draggy these past couple of days. We go feed after the sun has set to give them a chance to cool off and want to eat. This is the time of year I feel the worst for them. Winter's here are so mild so it's easy to provide shelters. Summer's on the other hand, what do you do? They have lots of shade and hiding spots, but it's never cool.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I suppose setting up a sprinkler is out of the question? I don't know if that would help anyway since cats really don't like water. I'm not sure what else you can do for them except make sure they have plenty of shade and plenty of water to drink. Poor kitties....but like you say, at least they don't have to put up with the harsh winters like we have in Chicago.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

This is what I do for our strays that eat on our porch (yes we have gotten them all spayed and neutered). Fill up those plastic 1 gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them over night. Then put them in their favorite shady spots, I've noticed that the cats like to stay close to the water jugs since they are cool.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    This is what I do for our strays that eat on our porch (yes we have gotten them all spayed and neutered). Fill up those plastic 1 gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them over night. Then put them in their favorite shady spots, I've noticed that the cats like to stay close to the water jugs since they are cool.
    That's a great idea! I will try something like this. I wish there was a way to set-up some type of a mister system, but being in the park there's no water hookup available. Thanks for the idea!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Wow! What a good idea!! I'm glad you told us Uabassoon!

K & L......my neighbor saves all her 1 gallon milk jugs, I will get some for you!

Lisa.......why didn't you think of this????????? (just joking)
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I hope those kitties have the sense to sleep through the worst of the heat during the afternoon K & L - {{{Hugs}}} across the miles for the wonderful work you do - in all weathers.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx