Thread: Question about Shelters

Question about Shelters

We have a county animal shelter about five miles from here. Since I don't feel that we can adopt a pup right now, Colleen my daughter-in-law and I wanted to do something for the pups in the Shelter. We called and asked them if we buy some nylabones or boxes of doggie bisquits and bring them to the Shelter for all the dogs for Christmas would it be o.k. and they said no, that they didn't want the dogs to choke on them and they didn't have time to watch them.
    Is this the policy in all Shelters, I was just wondering. They won't take anything from the outside, not blankets etc. etc.
    Jackie

Jackie,

I work at a non-profit shelter and we accept any and all donations! In fact, our favorite donations are the blankets, bones, and toys for the dogs and cats. We take really good care of our animals.

The city shelter here is a different story as Spencer mentioned There is never anything in their cages except two metal bowls for food and water. They aren't taken out and have to sit in their own urine... Blah, I've made myself cry so I won't get myself started any further.

I would just suggest finding a non-profit like Spencer suggested. Or maybe find a rescue group in your area and contribute to a doggy needing surgery or something?

Also, North Shore Animal League has that sponser-a-pet program where they'll send you a gift, picture of your sponsered dog, and letter thanking you. I'm thinking about doing that. They play the commercial all the time on Animal Planet. I'm in love with the dog Mona they show on it.

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I just went to the website and they have Mona on there

Here's where they tell about her: http://www.nsalamerica.org/donations_dog_mona.html

And here's the general sponser information: http://www.nsalamerica.org/topic_donations.html
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Jackie, rest assured this is not normal! In fact, I would seriously wonder about that shelter's true mission - do they have a good reputation?

I am a regular donor to both the Humane Society and the SPCA, and they both beg for gifts-in-kind. In fact, yesterday I got an email from the SPCA specifically addressing toys:

Pet Enrichment & Shelter Needs
    Many animals remain at the SPCA of Texas Animal Care Centers for months before the right person comes along to provide a "forever home." Staff & volunteers provide the animals with attention and affection, however their environment is sterile and lacks interesting activities. That's why we've established the Pet Enrichment Fund.

Environmental enrichment means simply changing what an animal hears, smells, sees, touches or plays with in random patterns throughout each week. All animals need "active" and "comfort" type toys that can be disinfected and rotated between cages so they appear new and novel to each animal.

Here's a short list of pet enrichment items - if you would like to donate any of these to our Pet Enrichment Program, please bring them to one of our convenient locations in Dallas, The Colony or McKinney:

For SPCA Dogs:
    (1) Medium, large, extra large Kong toys;
    (2) Nylabones in assorted sizes;
    (3) Buster food cubes;
    (4) The Almost Indestructible Ball (its real name...); and,
    (5) Plaque attackers.

For SPCA Cats:
    (1) Plastic shower curtain rings;
    (2) Practice whiffle golf balls;
    (3) Plastic rolling balls (with or without bells); and,
    (4) Assorted cat toys.

For All SPCA Animals, these make wonderful sleeping items:
    (1) Washable pet beds;
    (2) Blankets; and,
    (3) Towels.
    Perhaps you can print this out and show it to them!

That is certainly NOT the case at our local shelter. It is a branch of Animal Rescue League of Boston. They are welcoming of any and all gifts, including toys, treats (even rawhide, preferably pressed) blankets, etc. We are having a Xmas party for the "guests," on Xmas Eve, and I've been shopping all day for treats, etc. Please see my last post on the following thread. I can't believe your shelter would turn away your good will!
    http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultima...c&f=5&t=001684 from that thread...

"Some good news though. Our local shelter has only 7 doggie guests this Xmas (max. is 40!) no kittens and only 2 adult kitties. We are having a Xmas party for the "guests" on Xmas Eve and I've been shopping all day for the event. I even made little Xmas bandanas for all of the "guests." Still, it will be bitter- sweet."

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

The small neighborhood shelter near my house accepts donations of all kinds. In fact, my daughter and I go there often (especially when we see GSDs on the website) to distribute goodies to each and every one of the dogs. The adoption rate there is very good and I check to see about those GSDs.

However, I adopted from the large kill shelter in another town. Killian was on death row and Shiloh was just coming out of fostering having had kennel cough. They accept donations there, too, but they do not let you personally feed the dogs or even touch them. Don't want anyone to spread any communicable diseases (like kennel cough) which could be a death sentence for many dogs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I agree with the comments about the many city/county shelters - if a no-kill shelter is an animal homeless shelter, then the county pound is animal death row.

My local county pound is used by the overworked justice system as an outlet for the "community service" work sentences given to many criminals - including gang members and drug pushers. The last time I was at the pound, I saw two "helpers" putting aside a new dog to be adopted by their buddies for dog fighting. They laughed and joked about the dog's likely chances...

Please keep supporting the shelters that do care about the animals. And don't be afraid to ask questions about animal treatment or care you might witness - trust your instincts! We are the only voice they have.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jackie,
    What you describe is exactly the way the
    city(Marion Cty) animal shelter was being
    run. Animals were in dire need of blankets
    or towels to keep them off the bare concrete
    floor of their cages. Toys for the pups to
    chew on,etc..but this need was never expressed to the public..Things were very
    bad at the "pound". The privately sponsered
    Indpls Humane Society took over the operation
    of the city pound and was supposed to make
    a lot of changes for the better.A year later
    the Indpls Star newspaper reviewed the so-
    called changes and found the city facility
    in no better condition than before, in fact
    worse in terms of adoption & killing rates.
    People in Indy, when shown the facts, did
    react loudly. A mayor's task force has been
    reviewing all facets of animal care at
    "Animal Care & Control" and I just know
    that things will get better for these poor
    dogs & cats because "the people have spoken", and the elected officals who make
    policy are finally listening .
    The Mayor does want to be re-elected,
    and it's a "real" issue to be dealt with
    because Indy people stood up & spoke back
    to the elected officals.. Your desire to help is wonderful &loving,please don't give up trying..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for all your responses, I wanted so badly to adopt a dog like most of you have and in reality know that Don and I have all we can do with taking care of, grooming, Vet visits etc with Daisy and Perry. I have always felt guilty that I didn't adopt in the first place after reading all your wonderful stories. I do send money to "Best Friends" during the year with a little bonus at Christmas. However I wanted to do something for our local animals in the shelters. You all have opened my eyes to what the shelters are all about, Not good.
    I even sent for the volunteer packet, was going to maybe work in the office or put pictures on the internet, but they require you to go to a class which is fine, but the class is at night and we don't drive at night, and the class is in the city about 20 miles from us, then you have to go to classes every other week to the same place in the evening, so that pretty much left me out. I was pretty disappointed that they didn't want to accept at least some boxes of dog bisquits. I think I will write to some of the city officials to ask why they don't accept donations from people who want to give a little something to the poor animals who have nothing. Will see what happens. Thanks again for your help.
    Jackie

{{{Jackie}}} Bless you. Perhaps those little guys will have a better life due to your efforts. More power to you.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Jackie,
    Writing to various officals & asking for
    a clarification of policies concerning
    public donations is a Great idea.
    I'd be really shocked to hear of any city shelter that coldly refused to accept offers of dog or cat food,blankets,or toys for the puppies.
    Could be that whomever you spoke to at the
    shelter, was badly trained & ignorant of
    Real shelter policy. Please let us know when
    you hear back from someone. Bless You !!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt