Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airdale Terriers

Airdale Terriers

I am not sure I will get an answer to my question by the time I need to make my decision but does anyone own an Airdale and what do you think of the breed? If you don't have an airedale but know someone who does I would like your opinion of that dog also.

Not that I need another dog, but I have always been attracted to airdales and now there is a 4 year old named Jack that needs a new home. I have been told that he doesn't bark much, doesn't jump up and is overall a calm boy.

The decision comes in that I really don't need a fifth dog nor is it probably the time to adopt another one as both my husband and I are laid off of our jobs. But will we be sorry that we passed this sweet boy up? I really hate decisions like this.

As I said I need to make the decision very soon, but if anyone can give me input asap, I would like to know what they feel about this breed.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I think Airedales are AMAZING dogs. They are truly a joy to have in your life! Is Jack at a kill shelter? I would say definately get him if he's in a kill shelter.

If he's not though, I would suggest waiting until the money situation is under control. But I would definately recommend the breed, they are great.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Here's a link for you. I think it will give you a good general idea. Good luck with your decision!
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/airedale.htm

Originally posted by aly
    Is Jack at a kill shelter? I would say definately get him if he's in a kill shelter.

Jack is not in a kill shelter, but being "fostered" by a breeder of Austrailan Shepards. His family moved and left him behind for this woman to rehome. She is keeping him outside and tieing him up at night so he "doesn't get away". Not a kill shelter, but not an ideal situation for the dog, who was previously an indoor dog.

Amy is right - the dog's owners moved and has left it with this person to find a new home for him. She was asking $200 for him but says she will take $100. When I asked if he was up-to-date with shots etc., she said that the owner says she can't find the records but this person thinks that maybe he has never seen one. I just hate to see a good dog not taken care of the way it should be especially when it is a breed that I think is extremely cute.

I just don't understand why people get dogs adn then don't take care of them when they can be such good companions.

--William Feather

My brothers Friend has one and he is amazing! So well tempered! I love there look to! I think they are very very good dogs.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Oh my goodness Could you take him and find a new home for him then? Or keep him yourself if you can afford him? Thats so sad
    Alyson

Well, the lady sent me an e-mail about meeting her today at 4:00 in Alexandria, KY. We drove 3 hours to get there and no one showed up. I called the home number and cell number and go no answer. We waited another half an hour and tried again. Some man answered the phone and said they had been trying to reach me (which I don't understand because I had my cell phone on all day) because the people had to take their little girl to the dr. But if we could drive another half hour, he could meet us. He told us to meet him at a BB Shell station. So we found the station and waited again. no one showed up again. So Carl went inside adn asked if there was another BB shell station down the road and they said yeah, about 10 miles from there. So we went there andthe guy was there with Jack in the back of a cattle truck. We had taken Dazzi along and Jack and Dazzi seemed to get along. But Jack hadn't had a bath in forever and stunk to high heavena dn there was a scratch on his nose that the guy didn't know how he got and hadn't been taken care of. He is also super skinny. Personally I think Spot (Amy's dog) had better care at the animal shelter.)

anyway we are now home and Jack is with us. He has had a bath and smells better. He is craving people attention and the only noise we have heard out of him is when he is with one of us and one of the other dogs wants oru attention too. I guess it will depend on whether we keep him or not as to if they can all get along after a few days. But what ever, he will be better off here than where he was.

--William Feather

i don't have one but i think that they are so cute

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

YYEEEAAAHHH!!
    I knew you told me about that at the dog park on Sunday..
    Hopefully I can meet up with you sometime at the dog park and see this beautiful boy. He sounds so sweet.
    You and Carl are Saints!!! For going all that way for him.
    The only exposure to Airdales I have had is Taggert and the 2 at the dog park I met that one day before you got there. And I think they are sweeties!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I can't believe what you had to go through to get this dog! People are so stupid.
    Anyway, I'm glad you have him at home now. How is he getting along with everyone else?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Congrats Mom, hope to hear things are going well, even better today than yesterday. Why haven't you posted any pics?????? I know the lady emailed you those 2 the other day. I knew I should have thought to show you that when I was home. Hopefully Amy will show you soon so you can at least get those 2 pics posted until a new roll is developed with your pics of him and him with the others! Can't wait to get another update!

I can't wait to see him! So glad he is in good hands now. What a relief
    Alyson

So far so good! He evidently has not played with other dogs because he just tends to ignor all the wrestling, chasing and barking that goes on. He is not food aggressive but seems attention aggressive. He does not like it when we are petting him and the others come over and want attention too. He growls but when we tell him to stop, he does. We aer a little worried about what we are going to be told about his health - the sore on his nose seems to have been there awhile, his teeth are in really bad shape, he shakes his head like his ears are bothering him and loves to have them rubbed, and his one eye is weeping. He goes to the vet at 5:00 so we should know more then.

He also does not like it when they come up to him when he is laying down and will growl but again, he backs off when we say his name.

--William Feather

Here are a couple pictures of Jack, sent by his foster...