Thread: An Author's Tribute to His Cat

An Author's Tribute to His Cat

Mystery novels by K. Friedman make reference to his cat, Cuddles. After Cuddles passed away he paid tribute to her. I'm sure cat lovers can identify with the thoughts.

EPILOGUE

On January 4, 1993, the cat in this book and the books that preceded it was put to sleep in Kerrville, Texas, by Dr. W.H. Hoegemeyer and myself. Cuddles was fourteen years old, a respectable age. She was as close to me as any human being I have ever known.

Cuddles and I spent many years together, both in New York, where I first found her as a little kitten on the street in Chinatown, and later on the ranch in Texas. She was always with me, on the table, on the bed, by the fireplace, beside the typewriter, on top of my suitcase when I returned from a trip.

I dug Cuddles' grave with a silver spade, in the little garden by the stream behind the old green trailer where both of us lived in the summertime. Her burial shroud was my old New York sweatshirt and in the grave with her is a can of tuna and a cigar.

A few days ago I received a sympathy note from Bill Hoegemeyer, the veterinarian. It opened with a verse by Irving Townshend: "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle..."

Now, as I write this, on a gray winter day by the fireside, I can almost feel her light tread, moving from my head and my heart down through my fingertips to the keys of the typewriter. People may surprise you with unexpected kindness. Dogs have a depth of loyalty that often we seem unworthy of. But the love of a cat is a blessing, a privilege in this world.

They say when you die and go to heaven all the dogs and cats you've ever had in your life come running to meet you.

Until that day, rest in peace, Cuddles

KINKY FRIEDMAN
    FEBRUARY 5, 1993
    MEDINA, TEXAS

(Excerpt from Elvis, Jesus & Coca-Cola (Simon & Schuster) printed by W. Thomas Taylor for Ambleside Press in an edition of one thousand copies signed and numbered by the author. Illustration by David Price. Copyright Kinky Friedman 1994).

How beautiful...thank you for sharing!(Y)
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Awww.. *sniff*

Really touching .....

What a wonderful tribute! By now Cuddles will be a major factor at the Rainbow Bridge , helping the new arrivals get adjusted and showing them where the food and toys are!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

That was very touching. Thank you for sharing.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Just beautiful.

If anyone likes Kinky Friedman books, I do!! - they may like this:

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Get the kleenex out!!! That's beautiful.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.