Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fister's slimming diet!

Fister's slimming diet!

Recently, when I went to the vet to buy some food for Fister, the vet suggested to try Hills W/D - so we did, and Fister likes it. It doesn't contain as much fat as the other one (S/D) - so we're anxious to see if he slims down a bit - NOT THAT HE IS FAT!!!

We have noticed that he doesn't eat all that much, so I have started meassuring. A 6 kg. cat is allowed 70 - 95 grams a day for slimming purposes, and "for other indications" 85 - 115 grams a day. Since Fister is nearly 8 kg. I gave him 100 g a day to start with, but he doesn't even eat that much! I feed him twice a day, in the morning and when we go to bed. He eats most of it during the night. It has taken him 4 days to get through less than 300 grams!!

He gets a little wet food about twice a week as a treat - and a tiny slice of ham now and again.

How much does your cat eat?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I haven't really measured but Max and Speckles get a small handful of Medi-Cal Reduced Protein in the morning. Specks always eats but sometimes Max sleeps in and doesn't eat breakfast. When I get home from work (usually around 8pm) I open a can of Hill's K/D. This food seems very concentrated and seems to fill them up more so they don't eat as much. They go through 1/2 can (the same size as a tuna can) at night along with a bit more crunchies.

They are indoor cats and sleep all day and night so I'm not worried too much about the small portions. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by slick; 02-28-2003 at 02:02 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Former User Guest
    Casper eats about the same as Fister (Casper is 6.8 kg's) and Kitty about 15g's less. And they get wet food once a week, as a treat, about 50g. each.
    And ours eat Hill's food also. We have the hairball version now.

Ask my husband

I fill Edwina's bowl up once a day with about 1/2 cup* of IAMS low fat for the mature cat. She free feeds.

She gets a few bites of turkey in the evening.

As to what he feed her in the morning....who knows!?!?!?!? Turkey, treats, filet mignon????

Once again last Friday I had to solo at the grocery store (the second time in our marriage -- it was better than the Auto Show!)
    Don tells me I got the right turkey but I didn't have it sliced thin enough....so Edwina still isn't happy. I'll skip over my response!

(* I tried to be international and convert this to grams -- I got so confused -- how about a handful as translation!)

Sara....you sure have quite the Princess on your hands! Too funny!

Let's see...our cats get Royal Canin in the morning and at night. (Indoor and Special) They all have their own bowls, not that they actually use the same one each day. I put 1/4 cup of the Indoor and about 1/4 cup of the Special in their bowls in the morning and before we go to bed. Because they all wiegh different amounts, its hard to make sure they get enough, but there are always a few kibble left over.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

If they don't, they'll surely let you know!!!! - In the middle of the night!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I've never actually measured how much T & P get, but what I've noticed lately is it seems they're turning into little piggies.

They have two bowls and they both eat out of both bowls. I used to put...ooohhh..it would probably be about the 1/2 cup that Sara mentioned, in each bowl each morning. The next morning it wouldn't quite all be gone, but most of it was, so I'd put in another 1/2 cup in each bowl. It went on like that for the longest time. But lately if I put that much in the bowls in the morning, Tubby is relentless in the evenings. I follow him downstairs and the bowls are completely empty. And I mean not even one little crumb left! So I've started adding a little more in the mornings, maybe another 1/2 cup or so split between the two bowls, and we're back to the regular of some being left in the morning, but not much. So I don't know what the deal is with that...... Oh, and they both get Science Diet Senior Formula, with wet food as a treat about twice a week, along with various bits and pieces of human food "accidentally" dropped on the floor now and then by a certain unnamed daddy.

And Sara, you're doing the right thing because this way he will be sure and not let you go alone too often. It's kinda like when I ask Terry to do the laundry, he doesn't even sort anything, so I butt my way in and say never mind, I'll do it myself so I know it's done right. Same theory with getting the wrong turkey. Don will just have to come along, or go himself, to make sure Lady Edwina gets the proper turkey.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

During day time they eat wet food. About 200 g both. During the night they get dry food. Maybe another handful both. Filou (8 lb.) eats more than Tigris (13 lb). Both haven't changed their weight since they are adult.

Trevor was not going to let me read this post because he didn't like the subject line with the "D" word. I managed to push him aside so I could sit in my chair to respond. Actually my boys eat exactly what Lady Edwina eats (minus the turkey). I put 1/2 cup of IAMS Weight Control in each bowl every morning. Of course I can't really be sure who is eating how much because they free feed all day and use each other's bowl. In the morning the bowls are both empty and I am hounded by one orange cat, who shall remain nameless, for refills! My boys really do not exercise much at all. Walking from the food bowl, to the nearest sofa, chair or bed for a nap, to the litterbox and back to the food bowl again doesn't burn off very many calories. Trev is currently 19 lbs. and Andy is 13 lbs.

Everyone gets 1/2 cup at 7pm. They eat science diet light (LOVE IT!!!)
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    ..... along with various bits and pieces of human food "accidentally" dropped on the floor now and then by a certain unnamed daddy.
    OHHH, can I relate!

It's kinda like when I ask Terry to do the laundry, he doesn't even sort anything, so I butt my way in and say never mind, I'll do it myself so I know it's done right.
    .... and here too!

I have a 1 cup measuring cup in Tinky and Jupiter's bag-o-food... and I split the 1 cup between them when I get home from work.. which is about 2am.. and split 1 cup again during the day.. about 2pm... so I quess they eat about 1 cup every 24 hours. And I feed them Iiams too.. but I don't feed them weight control or anything... Tinky is only 10 pounds and Jupiter is 15 pounds... He does not look fat though.. I think he is just a big cat.

. It's kinda like when I ask Terry to do the laundry, he doesn't even sort anything, so I butt my way in and say never mind,
    I don't let Eric touch our laundry... when he lived with his roomate he would pile everything in the washer and wash it reds and all... I don't think he ever looked at the tag.. so I started doing his laundry while we were dating.. cause his clothes were getting so dingy.. and He can think again before he even thinks about washing MY clothes that way...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I notice this is now a thread about men and laundry.
    Siegmar never sorts the laundry. I sort it and tell him what program, then in general he brings it donwstairs to the washing machine. I think this is the optimum you can reach

Laundry? DON?! Oh we are joking - aren't we?!
    I'm sure he thinks we have a laundry fairy!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I feed Storm and Sunny about 11/2 cups of dry food a day. Right now I'm feeding them 1 cup of Nutro Complete Care Weight Management Formula with 1/2 cup of Felidae mixed in. There's usually some Felidae left in their bowl in the morning. I think that they prefer the taste of the Nutro.