Thread: Kia's visit to the white coats

Kia's visit to the white coats *UPDATE*

*update 2/21/03*

Kia was still itching as of last Monday so I've fully taken her off her old food and am only feeding her the California Natural. So what if I lose money on half a bag of old food. My poor baby.

Her two week followup was yesterday and since neither shot of Ivermectin worked, we have ruled out scabies. *phew!*

So it's back to allergies.

The vet gave her a shot of a type of steriod to try and help relieve some of the itching.

The walk to and from the vet left Kia muddy from the thaw yesterday so I gave her a bath with the sulfadine shampoo I have.

She seems to be doing better already.

Except this morning, I stepped in a wet spot on the carpet.

She either A. couldn't get me to wake up or B. lost control of her bowels due to the shot.

I'll keep an eye on her though to make sure she doesn't have another accident.

Well, Kia has been itching ever since her first shot of Ivermectin . But Zam has not been itching at all.

I expressed this concern to Dr. Kuschel since her assistant Vet who had given Kia the first dose said that Sacrcoptic Mange was highly contagious.

Dr. Kushcel said it can be but she has treated cases before where the mites will stick to one animal and not bother others in the household.

Because the edge of Kia's ears are all scabbed up and she has reddness on her abdomen, the vet feels strongly that it is mites and gave her a second dose of the Ivermectin. In some cases she found that results don't begin to show until the second dose.

Dr. Kushchel prefers the Ivermectin over Dips because it is less toxic.

I'm in the process of weaning Kia off her old food and starting her on California Natural.

She goes back to the vet in two weeks. If she's still itching, then it's likely some sort of allergy.. either airborne or food related.
    Last edited by ramanth; 02-21-2003 at 11:01 AM.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

My guess is it is the mange and yes dips are very toxic. I am not familiar with the other medicine you mentioned but if it is less toxic and works, thats the way to go! Dips actually start working right away on mange but they are potent! Hope Kia gets results soon!

Even if she doens't have food allergies, California Natural is a wonderful dog food!!! Keep us posted please!

I hope Kia stops itching soon and starts getting better quick!

Oh, Kia, you get better!!!! And enjoy your California Natural.....Honey, Lilly and Murphy think it is the BEST!!!

Get better soon Kia!! Itching is horrible--and it's tough to watch!!
    I hope the medication works for her, and the new food.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Hope Kia's itching stops soon!!!

Poor Kia. Get well quick!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Kim,

Sorry to hear about Kia. The itching must be driving her (and you) crazy! I hope the injections take care of the problem.

The Beast (aka Eli) says "Meow".

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

bump... update in first post.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Ahhhhh, Kia! You and your Mom have been through a lot! I hope the steroids do the trick. Being itchy/scratchy is no fun Feel better soon Kia

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Kia's not doing better by now.

The steriod shot should help, but she could want to drink
    more water than normal. Do you think that's what it was?
    Poor Kia baby, hope the vet can isolate the cause of the
    allergic reaction SOON & you both can get some relief.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Killian is having a problem with his ears, too. They really don't itch him much. The vet thinks that it is an immune system problem. Only Killian has it, not Shiloh. It was clearing up a bit, but now it's coming back. His nose is starting to be affected now. He will be going to the vet as soon as Shiloh is healed.

Killian eats a home cooked diet, but I usually give him a little kibble to try and help keep his teeth (what's left of them) clean. He was eating a little of Eukanuba. I wonder if the Eukanuba is causing an allergic reaction. Today I switched him to Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato.
    What was Kia eating before California Natural? Please keep me posted.

Get well, Kia!! You must be so uncomfortable!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Kia was originally on Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice Allergy dry food. Some times I'd mix in Pedigree Lamb and Rice wet food as a treat.

The tips of her ears are scabbed up and her abdomen used toto be rashy as well as her arm pits and around her nipples. Certain areas bled when she scratches continuously.

I think the steriod shot is helping a lot. She's not scratching as frequently and she hasn't had any more accidents.

Andy's been a big help in that this weekend. He's a night owl so he's been taking her out frequently during the night.

We got dumped on with snow here so if the roads are clear, we'll take her to the Dog Park today.

~Kimmy, Kia, and Andy

Glad to hear that Kia is starting to get better!!!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue