Thread: Fisters Family Album - Andy Warhole

Fisters Family Album - Andy Warhol

Unknown Masterpieces brought to light! - 2

As we have mentioned before, Fister was looking through his old Family Album recently, and found these interesting and previously unknown masterpieces. We have assembled a collection of some of the best of them and are proud to be able to present them for the very first time to the public, together with a short explanation from Fister.

Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol was a thoroughly modern guy, but he liked the good old fashioned virtues of cats. He was born in 1928 in Pittsburgh and studied pictorial design at Carnegie Institute of Technology from 1945-49. He then went to New York City and became an illustrator until 1960 when he began making paintings based on comic strip characters such as Popeye, Dick Tracy, and Superman.

In 1952, his mother Julia had moved in with him in New York, partly to take care of her son who was living in "a dirty, mouse-and louse-ridden" apartment and "subsisting largely on candy and cake". It was probably at about this time that Fisters’ cousin Bud picked up on a good thing and moved in with them.

Around 1953-1955, Warhole worked for a theater group on the Lower East Side. He published several books, including Twenty Five Cats Named Sam, and One Blue Pussy. This, it is presumed, indicates the great impression that Bud had made on him.

In 1961, Andy did his first serial work with Campbell's soup cans, the subject for which he is most famous. He came closer to his wishes of working "like a machine" , when he found his permanent studio, "The Factory", in 1963.

Bud liked to live his life on the edge, and quickly found the wild late night catnip orgies and hair spray sniffing at “The Factory” much to his liking and participated with great vigour. But this decadent lifestyle soon took its toll, and he realised that he would have to straighten up a bit. Andy hadn’t been painting any more soup cans in that period, but when Buddy asked him to paint a picture that would “make me feel hungry”. This was the result:

Cream of Mouse Soup Can (1963?)
    Andy Warhole (1828-1987)

Pop Art. Canvas 724 x 554mm (28 1/2 x 20")
    (Private collection - Copenhagen)

In 1964, Warhol had his first solo exhibition in Europe, held at the Galerie Ileana Sonnebend in Paris, featuring the Flower series. It is possible that Bud and the painting were with him there, but there is some mystery as to what happened after that. When he returned to America, both the cat and the painting had disappeared. It is presumed that this original Warhol was the one smuggled out of the United States in the mid sixties, ending up in a private collection in Scandinavia.

Fisters curator
    Last edited by jonza; 01-24-2003 at 08:04 AM.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

Oh Fister what a famous and civilized cat you are.
    Under these circumstances it will not be easy for Edwina to decide whom of us she could love

Tigris!!!!

That is too funny! Tubby would like to order some of that soup.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

WOW, Fister, you are one famous dude!!!! I can't wait to see what is next.

uh-oh......don't let JenLuckenbach see that soup!

Fister, you travel in such illustrious circles! We had no idea! But how did you come to end up in John's backyard, after all your worldly adventures?
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Wow! What exaulted company we're in!

I, for one, am very impressed. Can we get pawprints the next time we exchange cards? Please??
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Too cute!!! How do we go about getting some of that mousie flavored soup? I bet Basil wouldn't pass that up if I crushed his meds in there!!! Yum!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Cream of Mouse Soup?

Actaully of the 13 cats that now reside at the lost cats hotel , only Michael , Princess and Moose the Magnificent have hinted and would have a taste for mice , the others would turn up thier noses . Unless mice is a generic thing and atavism could possissbly kick in!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS