Thread: Malone, what is with THIS??

Malone, what is with THIS??

A few nights ago, we started allowing Malone (9 months old now)to sleep on the floor next to our bed on his LL Bean bed (as opposed to in his crate). Every night around 3 AM he comes and bumps my arm with his nose, and then goes and sits by the door, to ask to go out. When he is in the crate, he sleeps through just fine...but I am a little concerned I guess, that he really has to go but doesn't have any way to ask when he is in the crate. Or, I am afraid that now he knows he can go out in the middle of the night, so asks just for the heck of it. A few times he has gone pee right off the bat, but a couple of other times he wanders in circles sniffing here & there. ( especially when it is -10 degrees and you are hauled out of your nice cosy bed just so he can sniff! ) I know he can hold it, but when he asks should I take him out anyway??

My dogs do the same thing!!! If they are crated (rare) overnight, they are fine. If they have had enough exercise during the day, they are fine. If they have been along too much, or not active enough, they want out inthe middle of the night. For me, i can put them out, bring them in and be back asleep faster and easier then I can ingore the whining, or pacing, so I do it. My rule is one trip out. The second time you wake meup, you go in your crate

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    My rule is one trip out. The second time you wake meup, you go in your crate
    That is a good "rule"!! I was afraid that it would get out of hand, but by following that, I can nip nonsense in the bud, while allowing him to go out if/when he really needs to. Thanks for the advice...I like it!

If Roxey wakes us up at that time, she doesn't get to come back in (which of course is fine with her )
    I've learned my lesson, if they wake me up early, they just want to go out and play. If I let them back in, they come and wake me up again & again.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I don't know if mine can make it through the night or not. The problem in our house is *I* can't make it through the night so when I get up to go I let them out to go too! We are all back to sleep in about 5 minutes.

We've been having the same problem around our home the last few weeks. Dakota sits at the end of the bed and whines until one of us wakes up. If we seem to take to long, she'll come to either side of the bed and put her head right near one of our ears and do it more. Sometimes she'll even flat our bark at us from the end of the bed. It's rather annoying. They always get their trip out, but sometimes it just wears us down from not getting a full night of sleep!

I've never crated, and rarely do any of ours ask to go out during the night, but if they do, then I'm up and taking them out. Last night, we went to bed around 10 pm. And as I was dozing off to sleep, I realized that Honey had not been outside since about 5:30! Scott's reaction was to say "she's ok", but around 4:30 this morning, she let me know it was "time". So I got up, took her out, put her on her tie out, and in about 10 minutes, she was ready to come back inside, so I got back up in the 25 degree cold and brought her back in! LOL!!!! Serves me right, I should have given her time before I went to bed!!!!

I think I would make sure he went real good before going to bed, and if he wakes up and wants to go, I would be inclined to take him out. We "have to go" sometime, so I guess they do too! I've learned that dogs are far worse than babies (cats too)......when they "gotta go" they "gotta go"........so much for sleeping through the night!!

*hee-heee* ~ Same at our howze...

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    ... The problem in our house is *I* can't
    make it through the night...
    <snikker>

Dad'z been known ta have that problem, too.

Cept *WE* don't get an outie ebery time he duz !
    We check da sun klok - iffin itz Dark:Thirty, we jest roll over an keep hiz spot warm. He'll be rite back.

We get a break whenebber he fallz asleep inna kliner chair... alluz wakez up inna *FUZZ* an nebber memberz who ate an who dun whut...
    Hasta look inna kitchun to see if therz a durty pot - *yes* meanz HE ate (an we prolly did, too).
    By this tyme we jumpin up 'n down like idiutz so he litz us *out*, tinkin he furgot dat part...
    Now herez da gud part ~ long as SmokeMutt duzint *blow it*...

We come back in an get our biskitz...
    Then *I* go ober an look inna bowl - then *stare* at Dad wiffa sad-eyez. Summtymez trot ober to da klozit what gotz our grub-kan inside - helpz ta gib da klozit door a reel big & sad *snifffff*.
    Dad uzed ta fall fur it ebery tyme ~ Dint you guyz *EET*??? Do a kuppla back-flipz - an he'z dishin out a mid-nite snak affore ya kan say *buRRp*!

Problem iz... dumm-bell lil brudder alluz gulpz hiz biskit, grabz a gulp a waddur, an headz off to the BigBed affore we get our storrie strait...
    Dad'z started ta axk *him* iffin he'z *hongree*??
    Not enuff jumpin around an Dad knowez he fed us!
    NUTZ!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Re: *hee-heee* ~ Same at our howze...

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

<snikker>

Dad'z been known ta have that problem, too.

Cept *WE* don't get an outie ebery time he duz !
    Dixie and Dusty think you two should protest! I have to agree with them..... Dad'z not bein fair to you guys not lettin you out in the middle of the night when he's the one who wakes you up!!! LOL