Thread: One eye dilated

One eye dilated

Sam has one eye dilated.
    A friend noticed his eye is dilated. I will be taking him to the vet. Any help or ideas here, please? One worried Momma.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 11-11-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Yikes - it could be slots of things, from eye issues to even scarier possibilities - glad he will see a vet. How dilated is it, just different than the other, or very wide?
    I've Been Frosted

twice the size
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    twice the size
    Yikes, definitely see the vet ASAP!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Yikes, definitely see the vet ASAP!
    Tomorrow morning.
    Anne

Tomorrow morning.
    Oh, good! Keep us posted! How old is Samwise now? I confess I have lost track!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, good! Keep us posted! How old is Samwise now? I confess I have lost track!
    Samwise is 11 years now. I'm withholding food for tonight incase they need to xray.
    Anne

Samwise is 11 years now. I'm withholding food for tonight incase they need to xray.
    Aww, that's probably wise of you!
    I've Been Frosted

Aww, that's probably wise of you!
    A week ago sam went in for dehydration and received Sub-Q fluids. I am wondering if this is the same thing.
    Anne

Prayers for Sam. I hope it's related to something simple. HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers from us for dearest Sam, too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Big prayers for Sam from me!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

And all our prayers to Sam from the Found Cat Hotelliers , Our Porch Cats and All of our Awesome Angel Animal Companions.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Update on Sam. He is a little dehydrated. I gave some sub-Q fluids when I got home. First time for me. He kept trying to move and knocking the needle out. But I persevered. He wasn't obnoxious over the needle. He did bite me when I gave him the oral liquid antibiotic. I really think this is a dental issue.

I met a different vet in this practice. I didn't like her. She did list that issues that could cause the eye dilation: infection, nerves, and tumors, and maybe a few others. She didn't think we should do anything until we resolved the eye problem, stating that most people can't afford an MRI to find the cause of the dilation.

He has had blood work done this year, and it is normal.

Other than hydrating, she didn't want me doing anything including antibiotics because cats can smell them a long way off.

I did mention that it took Sam more than 2 days to absorb the fluids the last time.

My response was that something needs to be done to alleviate his symptoms. I don't think this is all emotions and jealousy on his part. I scheduled a dental for the 20th, and I will insist that this person not do the surgery.

Is surgery wise at this time? I have a friend that says no. The doc didn't say no when I insisted.
    Anne

This thread's story continues here - http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?187161
    I've Been Frosted