Thread: keeping old dogs warm

keeping old dogs warm

duke, the senior golden i got in the spring, loves going for walkies, but he doesn't enjoy the cold and snow as much as alex the wonder dog does. i measured duke from paw to paw over his back and will be going to goodwill to get a small boys sweatshirt, which i will modify it into a 'jacket' to help with the chilly arthritic elbows. in the house, he's not very interested in the more expensive dog beds but will lie on a pile of blankets,which he paws into his desired shape. before i go to bed, i've taken to draping a bath towel over him, like a blanket. if anyone has more advice(outside of moving south) i'd appreciate it. p.s. the kits LOVE the dog beds
    Last edited by joycenalex; 12-05-2002 at 07:24 AM.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I have a senior rottweiler (he's 11). I've noticed this year he's been expecially cold, to the point he shivers We bought him a heated dog bed, not a really big nice one or anything, this one, we just laid over his old bed.
    Here's a pic of it:

We've also covered him before, but now with the bed, it seems like he is most comfortabe
    Here's one before we got his bed:

And one after we got it:

I think he was so comfortable he drooled all over

I don't know if Angus would wear any sweaters or anything, I've never tried, but it's a thought!

Hope you can keep your boy warm this year!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Love the pics Anna

joycenalex,

I don't have any other ideas, but using a fleese-lined
    sweatshirt (cut to fit) sounds very cozy, Hope it helps Duke.

Anna_66,

Angus looks like he enjoys his heated bed very much.He looks
    very content. Bless his little heart.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ya, he seems to really enjoy it The best $90 I've ever spent!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Great Idea!!

What a great idea to get a human sweatshirt and then cut it down! At the prices that are charged for speciality pet items like this, that is just terrific! Thanks for passing that tip on.

Anna I said this before and I will say it again - Angus is just sooooo precious! He looks like a bug in a rug in his bed, all covered up like he is in a cocoon! Angus, stay warm sweetie!

after searching thru the pet talk archieves (thanks fred!), i found the site for jeffers.com heated dog beds. duke has been known to 'nibble' eletric cords, i don't know as i'd trust him with one near. has any tried the microwave heated one?
    angus does look very cozy in the wrapped photo
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Oooh the drool!! That's funny

The sweatshirt sounds like a good idea. I go to the thrift store and get baby blankets and tiny baby shirts for Ricky & Lucy Tu. Lucy Tu had a fantastic jacket (see below) but outgrew it. Both of them like to sleep under the covers so that helps. When they get really cold and are shivering like crazy, I put their baby blankets in the dryer for a quick warm up and then cover them up with them. They love that. Lucy Tu likes to go in the pocket of my robe while I am wearing it (see below) Our daughter bought both of them a Harley Davidson leather jacket but I prefer to put something soft on them. Even though we live in Florida, Chi's are almost always cold.